Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
viper730

MRP Coming to Sprue Brothers

Recommended Posts

Just checked in at Sprue Brothers and on the whats new/home page they had an announcement that MRP aka Mr.Paint from Europe is on the way....Get you list ready I know I am!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that’s good news. I’ve always had great service from Hobbyworld USA, my only complaint is that they don’t ship as fast as SprueBros.  It will be nice to have a second source here in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will make a good backup to the 2nd best paint they've been carrying for years now.

Edited by metroman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's hoping Sprue Bros. will be able to keep it in stock better than HobbyWorld USA did.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, okthree said:

Well that’s good news. I’ve always had great service from Hobbyworld USA, my only complaint is that they don’t ship as fast as SprueBros.  It will be nice to have a second source here in the US.

 

Lately I have had great service from Hobbyworld USA.  I've made 4 orders in the last few months, and they have all been shipped the next day.   One was even shipped before the Paypal payment cleared since Paypal put a hold on it for some reason.    Spruebrothers is good, but Hobbyworld USA has also been doing very well keeping MRP in stock.   My last order was 14 bottles and he had everything I needed in stock.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Here's hoping Sprue Bros. will be able to keep it in stock better than HobbyWorld USA did.

 

Steve

Recently Hobbyworld USA has been doing great keeping it in stock.   I've been ordering MRP from him for the last three years, and there were times a lot was out of stock, but those issues seem to have been resolved.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this might explain why Sprue Bros. has been steadily whittling back their stock of Model Masters acrylics, my go-to paint sadly.

 

When I checked a week ago, no "standard colors" like Flat Black, Insignia Blue, Red & Yellow, etc. These have been out of stock for a year now.

 

If you don't carry my paint, you're unlikely to get my business.

 

Enjoy the Mr Paint! If that stuff worked like Model Masters with the old hairy stick, I might be thrilled too.

 

Bri2k

Edited by Bri2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is already in stock at $7.49 a bottle which is more expensive the Hobbyworld USA where it is $7.00.     It is great to see another vendor carrying it though, it's great paint and great company that is really linked in with the modeling community.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bri2k said:

Well this might explain why Sprue Bros. has been steadily whittling back their stock of Model Masters acrylics, my go-to paint sadly.

 

When I checked a week ago, no "standard colors" like Flat Black, Insignia Blue, Red & Yellow, etc. These have been out of stock for a year now.

 

If you don't carry my paint, you're unlikely to get my business.

 

Enjoy the Mr Paint! If that stuff worked like Model Masters with the old hairy stick, I might be thrilled too.

 

Bri2k

MRP and Model Master Acrylics aren't competitors, and there is a lot of demand for MRP while the Model Master brand has been slowly dying.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nspreitler said:

MRP and Model Master Acrylics aren't competitors, and there is a lot of demand for MRP while the Model Master brand has been slowly dying.   

It’s that much better?  I been using MM brands since I started this hobby long ago and dabbled in a few other paint brands but haven’t found any I like as much as MM paints

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, achterkirch said:

It’s that much better?  I been using MM brands since I started this hobby long ago and dabbled in a few other paint brands but haven’t found any I like as much as MM paints

 

It is all a matter of personal preference. I tried MRP and I was instantly a believer.  It just works. I guess the only draw back is that I do not think it is possible to use with a brush since it is so thin. but since it sprays so well, why brush paint? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, achterkirch said:

It’s that much better?  I been using MM brands since I started this hobby long ago and dabbled in a few other paint brands but haven’t found any I like as much as MM paints

 

 

It's different.  It's lacquer and an airbrush only paint.   It sprays beautifully and because it's lacquer it is perfect for using enamel washes or oil weathering over.   Because it is lacquer it's dry in minutes unlike the days enamels may take, and it is tougher than water based acrylics.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

 

 

It's different.  It's lacquer and an airbrush only paint.   It sprays beautifully and because it's lacquer it is perfect for using enamel washes or oil weathering over.   Because it is lacquer it's dry in minutes unlike the days enamels may take, and it is tougher than water based acrylics.  

 

I had severe writer's block trying to write my last post.  Drying time was something I wanted to mention as well, but forgot.  You can mask and paint over MRP in minutes.  This means you can just keep going, instead of having to stop and wait for paint to dry to paint the next color in a camouflage scheme. If you have the endurance, you can paint a whole SEA camo scheme in one session.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

 

I had severe writer's block trying to write my last post.  Drying time was something I wanted to mention as well, but forgot.  You can mask and paint over MRP in minutes.  This means you can just keep going, instead of having to stop and wait for paint to dry to paint the next color in a camouflage scheme. If you have the endurance, you can paint a whole SEA camo scheme in one session.  

 

 

 

That's true, I was practicing painting RAF roundels a couple days ago and did all three colors in one session.   Also it leaves virtually no residual paint in an airbrush, so you can even switch colors without doing any cleaning between colors.  I just spray a little hardware store lacquer thinner after I'm done to make sure everything is clean.    You can't do that with enamel or water based acrylics.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sprue Brothers might be fast on the shipping turn around, but Matt at Hobbyworld will go out of his way to get you what you need. He's an example of good old customer service. He will continue to get my patronage and I will use Sprue Brothers as a fall back, especially considering their cost is higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Sprue Brothers might be fast on the shipping turn around, but Matt at Hobbyworld will go out of his way to get you what you need. He's an example of good old customer service. He will continue to get my patronage and I will use Sprue Brothers as a fall back, especially considering their cost is higher.

 

Me too, and I have no issues with his shipping recently.   He also offers up some great deals, I recently got the Bandai Star Destroyer from him for $100, and had it in my hands 3 days after I paid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

 

It is all a matter of personal preference. I tried MRP and I was instantly a believer.  It just works. I guess the only draw back is that I do not think it is possible to use with a brush since it is so thin. but since it sprays so well, why brush paint? 😉

I usually thin my paints heavily and brush them on.  I like to do really thin layers and build them up so this might work.  I’ll have to get a couple bottles and try them out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 4:07 PM, Kurt H. said:

 

I had severe writer's block trying to write my last post.  Drying time was something I wanted to mention as well, but forgot.  You can mask and paint over MRP in minutes.  This means you can just keep going, instead of having to stop and wait for paint to dry to paint the next color in a camouflage scheme. If you have the endurance, you can paint a whole SEA camo scheme in one session.  

 

 

 

I can say the same thing for Polly Scale/Aeromaster acrylics. Mask after minutes and never any tape lifting. Very hard finish; If you make a mistake you have to sand it off. And no airbrushing issues through my Iwata. Excellent brushability too. It's why I bought a lifetime supply on closeout. 

 

In contrast, last week I used Tamiya for an IJN green on a Hasegawa George -  ugh. Lots of airbrush problems (clogging, spitting) and very grainy finish (couldn't get a tight spray). Tried to brush paint some small parts to match, and it was awful. Probably going to get rid of all the Tamiya and switch to Mission Models for colors I don't have in the Polly Scale range. 

Edited by sierrascale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sierrascale said:

I can say the same thing for Polly Scale/Aeromaster acrylics. Mask after minutes and never any tape lifting. Very hard finish; If you make a mistake you have to sand it off. And no airbrushing issues through my Iwata. Excellent brushability too. It's why I bought a lifetime supply on closeout. 

 

In contrast, last week I used Tamiya for an IJN green on a Hasegawa George -  ugh. Lots of airbrush problems (clogging, spitting) and very grainy finish (couldn't get a tight spray). Tried to brush paint some small parts to match, and it was awful. Probably going to get rid of all the Tamiya and switch to Mission Models for colors I don't have in the Polly Scale range. 

 

No kidding? I bought some Polly scale colors in 2009 or so .. and never ended up using them. Very fortunate you were able to stockpile your preferred paint when it was discontinued.  Interesting thing is  that I had the opposite of your experience with Tamiya and Mission ... Mission clogged my airbrush and was tricky to use, but Tamiya sprays great.  I did use the mission models thinner and counted the drops just as directed.    

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Issue with HW-USA either. I will continue to buy paints etc. from there also. Thing is It's nice to have a second source. If Company A is Out of a color Company B may have it in stock. I doubt I'm the only one who has run out of paint in the middle of a session....For me it's usually cause I just knocked the bottle over....🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problems with Hobby World good service and responsive to emails.  I just wish any distributor of the paint could keep it in stock.  I see that Sprue has already been hit by the paint hoarders.  The good thing with sprue is that they have email notification that things are back in stock,  Maybe some day I will be finally able to get some MRP interior green.  😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 11:39 PM, achterkirch said:

I usually thin my paints heavily and brush them on.  I like to do really thin layers and build them up so this might work.  I’ll have to get a couple bottles and try them out

 

Wait!  Don't do it!  It will not work!   

 

It's not just that its thin... the solvent is also much hotter than the stuff used in enamels.  About the only thing you can brush paint with these paints is tiny details like nav lights.  Their water based acrylics brush well, though. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, BaconRaygun said:

 

Wait!  Don't do it!  It will not work!   

 

It's not just that its thin... the solvent is also much hotter than the stuff used in enamels.  About the only thing you can brush paint with these paints is tiny details like nav lights.  Their water based acrylics brush well, though. 

 

 

That’s what I use Acrylics and water nothing else unless it’s something I can only find in enamels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 6:58 AM, Bri2k said:

Well this might explain why Sprue Bros. has been steadily whittling back their stock of Model Masters acrylics, my go-to paint sadly.

 

When I checked a week ago, no "standard colors" like Flat Black, Insignia Blue, Red & Yellow, etc. These have been out of stock for a year now.

 

If you don't carry my paint, you're unlikely to get my business.

 

Enjoy the Mr Paint! If that stuff worked like Model Masters with the old hairy stick, I might be thrilled too.

 

Bri2k

Lately Sprue Brothers has been out of everything. I've been trying to order for six months and every time I chack back another thing is out of stock. I did see they had MRP the other day and tried to order that. But they don't have the rare colors, just the basics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...