Current USAF F-15E Strike Eagle mods?

I have several of the 1/48 Revell/Monogram/Promodeler F-15E Strike Eagles purchased in the early 2000's. Other than the bottom front swept back antenna. GPS dome & shimmy dampner, are there any other obvious external mods that someone could pick up on? Any significant changes in the cockpit? Thanks.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Edited by Gunny
8 hours ago, Gunny said:

I have several of the 1/48 Revell/Monogram/Promodeler F-15E Strike Eagles purchased in the early 2000's. Other than the bottom front swept back antenna. GPS dome & shimmy dampner, are there any other obvious external mods that someone could pick up on? Any significant changes in the cockpit? Thanks.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Sniper pod.

the launch rails are too thin plus they only give you two. 

Tail reinforcement plates.

The antenna on the spine behind the cockpit may be different.

Oh and depending on the engines, you may need different compressor blades.

Edited by adamitri
Added info
5 hours ago, adamitri said:

Sniper pod.

Good run down. Missile rails under the wings are LAU-129s.  UFCs front and rear are the new flat panel LCDs.  Engines are fine for all SJ birds and 389th at MO.  All still flying the 220s. 

Edited by Falconxlvi

I will most likely be building a Lakenheath bird from a 2018 Middle  Eastern deployment depicted on the 2019 Caracal F-15E sheet. Last night I ordered Metallic Details LAU128/ADU552 resin launch rail sets & that was the latest available aftermarket I could after searching the www for a couple of hours. They just state for the F-15. Intakes will have FOD covers. I need to find some Steel Beach tail stiffeners but they are OOS at Sprue Bros. I’ll hit eBay for that. But did the E even get the stiffeners? For the MFDs, do you know if the Eduard set 49225 will cover the new mods?  That’s all I can think to ask as of this writing. Thank you!

Semper Fi,

Masterguns 

Edited by Gunny
2 hours ago, Gunny said:

I will most likely be building a Lakenheath bird from a 2018 Middle  Eastern deployment depicted on the 2019 Caracal F-15E sheet. Last night I ordered Metallic Details LAU128/ADU552 resin launch rail sets & that was the latest available aftermarket I could after searching the www for a couple of hours. They just state for the F-15. Intakes will have FOD covers. I need to find some Steel Beach tail stiffeners but they are OOS at Sprue Bros. I’ll hit eBay for that. But did the E even get the stiffeners? For the MFDs, do you know if the Eduard set 49225 will cover the new mods?  That’s all I can think to ask as of this writing. Thank you!

Semper Fi,

Masterguns 

The Eduard set you referenced has the older style UFCs.  Yes, the E definitely got the stiffeners.   To be clear, the MFDs are the same- I am talking about the UFCs, the pieces circled below:

V7aS7SK.jpg

To be honest, you could probably just cut a small price of rectangular styrene to match the dimensions of the red striped areas of the photoetch pieces circled and paint it black with a layer of clear smoke mixed with clear green on top.  That would be my recommendation.  

This is what the display looks like.  It is the same display in both cockpits, but obviously in a different location in the rear cockpit (lower right side where the instrument panel meets the side console- the same place where the older style UFC was located) 

RtJUyYm.jpg

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Thank you for that intel, Mstor. Those jet cockpit parts look really nice. I still have some old Waldron & Reheat instruments I could potentially use as they are sitting idle collecting dust. I'll use the Eduard 49225 color set for the MFDs & other bits since they're all sized for the kit. I have the old Black Box from the defunct Meteor Prod that will fit the Eduard set or perhaps incorporate the Eduard PE with the Aires set. I'll make that UFC with one of the old sets mentioned. However, In all honesty I'll prolly still buy that Airscale fret you linked anyway. Thanks again for your help. Much 'preciated. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

27 minutes ago, Gunny said:

Thank you for that intel, Mstor. Those jet cockpit parts look really nice. I still have some old Waldron & Reheat instruments I could potentially use as they are sitting idle collecting dust. I'll use the Eduard 49225 color set for the MFDs & other bits since they're all sized for the kit. I have the old Black Box from the defunct Meteor Prod that will fit the Eduard set or perhaps incorporate the Eduard PE with the Aires set. I'll make that UFC with one of the old sets mentioned. However, In all honesty I'll prolly still buy that Airscale fret you linked anyway. Thanks again for your help. Much 'preciated. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

No problem. The Airscale stuff is available at a number of vendors, though who specifically I don't remember. Suffice it to say, you can probably get them here in the US of A from someone.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:23 PM, adamitri said:

Sniper pod.

Also:

The shimmy damper added to the front landing gear.

GPS antenna.

Short front CFT pylon.

I also read somewhere that current F-15E  nose cones are different, something about  the newer AESA radar updates but I am not sure.

42 minutes ago, nachjager said:

Also:

The shimmy damper added to the front landing gear.

GPS antenna.

Short front CFT pylon.

I also read somewhere that current F-15E  nose cones are different, something about  the newer AESA radar updates but I am not sure.

The nose cone has embedded lightning strips in it.  Also the main wheels are different. Though not sure if any of the lakenheath jets got the AESA radar during that time period but they did switch to the newer style wheels. 

https://imgur.com/a/E1cMprN

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting a old thread, but I have Revell's F-15E kit and I just picked up Furball's Heritage Eagle sheet.  I am going to do the Mountain Home bird 87-0173. 

I am assuming I need to do the mods listed above. 

Is there any other? 

Does any body make the new style wheels? 

Brent

5 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

Resurrecting a old thread, but I have Revell's F-15E kit and I just picked up Furball's Heritage Eagle sheet.  I am going to do the Mountain Home bird 87-0173. 

I am assuming I need to do the mods listed above. 

Is there any other? 

Does any body make the new style wheels? 

Brent

Yup all of them. It had the new nose cone and news wheels. Only thing I can see is that the antenna between the canopy and speed break on the spin is the original kind.  Also no one makes the new style wheels yet.  

14 hours ago, achterkirch said:

Yup all of them. It had the new nose cone and news wheels. Only thing I can see is that the antenna between the canopy and speed break on the spin is the original kind.  Also no one makes the new style wheels yet.  

@achterkirch  thanks for your help, besides Darren's kit, I can either scratch stuff or try and find the Wolfpack update.  DId you ever find the F-15 decals you needed from the Revell kit?  I believe I have the ones you are looking for.

12 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Here's a link for the tail braces. I've closed up Steel Beach, so you might want to get them sooner rather than later.

F-15 tail braces

Thanks Darren, I will get those.  🙂

Believe the latest mod is a tinted windscreen, there was a thread on this a while back.  Seemed to be associated w the new radar.  

Also, when the E’s deployed to the gulf a few months back, the majority of them carried Dragon Eye radar pods on centerline.   

13 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

Is this the correct Sniper Pod for the F-15

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/edu648252.htm

Also, I have at least one of these Tamiya F-16 sprues, are these launchers "close enough" for the LAU-29s? 

0Mnn47k.jpg

Yes and no; however, if you don't tell anyone those were viper launchers instead of LAU-128's...

• 6 months later...
On 9/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, Gunny said:

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

MAN, Master Guns,

Now THAT is an impressive rack!

Happy Birthday, Devil Dog!

WARDOG