14 hours ago, nspreitler said:

Hong Kong Models is releasing a 1/48 B-17G, it's an early B-17G which I think is a good choice.    It's due to be released next month.   A new 1/48 B-17 has been on many people's most wanted lists for a long time.   I know I'll get one.  

Oh my, got no room, not much money, but I have always wanted a 1/48 B-17. Just didn't want to deal with the old Monogram kit (though I've been tempted many times over the years). Always hoped someone would do an updated kit. I don't even really do WWII subjects anymore, but if this kit turns out OK, I may have to sell off some stash and figure out where I could put one.

I tell you, models companies are showing me no mercy these days. :dontknow:

Edited by Mstor

While it's nice that a new kit is coming out, for me it's not worth the additional $ (retail is probably going to be north of a C-note) just to get an open bomb bay when I have 2 original-issue Monogram kits on the shelf.  Especially when I got them for $10 each - with new decals for both I'm still less than $40 in.

Now, when they get around to a late model with staggered waist guns and pumpkin tail turret, that's a different story...can't get there from the existing kits without a lot of work that I don't really want to put into a project.

I think the market has been ready for a new B-17 in 1/48th for while. I always thought  Trumpeter would be the one to release a B-17 in 1/48, but then they suddenly slowed down on new aircraft kits.  I have a monogram B-17 kit, mostly because I think it is mandatory for all aircraft modelers to at least have one in the stash. I have thought about getting all the Eduard stuff for it to see what I can make out of it, but I have never gotten around to it. I hope this is a successful kit for HK, I predict tables full of HK B-17s  at contests for the next few years.

I have a finished F done as Ye Olde Pub, and a G in the stash with a ton of aftermarket (photoetch, resin interior, engines, canopy, and decals).   The effort needed to get the old Monogram kit to the level I want it at is a major undertaking so I am very happy about a new one.    But with the Showdown GB coming up this would be a good time to do them both, and maybe keep the Monogram one more simple than I had originally planned.  

20 hours ago, nspreitler said:

I have a finished F done as Ye Olde Pub, and a G in the stash with a ton of aftermarket (photoetch, resin interior, engines, canopy, and decals).   The effort needed to get the old Monogram kit to the level I want it at is a major undertaking so I am very happy about a new one.    But with the Showdown GB coming up this would be a good time to do them both, and maybe keep the Monogram one more simple than I had originally planned.  

Are decals for "Ye Olde Pub" available? What scales?

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Are decals for "Ye Olde Pub" available? What scales?

Read the book a couple weeks ago. That one is real high on my list to do. Yet I have a funny question. Charlie Brown and the author call the plane out as " Old Pub" and "ye old pub" later. Was there a name change along the way?

Last night I found a large book that I picked up in a yard sale a couple years ago. It starts with the 299 airframe and ends up with the oddballs. Excellent photos inside, which leads to another thought. That airframe was a rivit nightmare!!! Maybe a million rivits showing! Be interesting to see how HK does them!

Gary

Just now, ChesshireCat said:

Last night I found a large book that I picked up in a yard sale a couple years ago. It starts with the 299 airframe and ends up with the oddballs. Excellent photos inside, which leads to another thought. That airframe was a rivit nightmare!!! Maybe a million rivits showing! Be interesting to see how HK does them!

Gary

And the name of the book is?

Flying Fortress, by Edward Jablonski is an excellent comprehensive reference on its design and development

17 hours ago, nspreitler said:

Looks like the MSRP is going to be $118, which in my opinion is very good.   That's less than what the Tamiya Lancaster costs.  

Considering most pricing these days that seems like an obscenely reasonable price for newly tooled Fort.  I'm actually surprised this isn't $200+.

23 hours ago, dnl42 said:

And the name of the book is?

Flying Fortress, by Edward Jablonski is an excellent comprehensive reference on its design and development

B17 Fortress At War by Rodger Freeman. If you look around enough, you can find an 8th AF book the seriously deals with markings. I'll hunt it up this week, and really goes into detail on all airframes used. Even give deminsions and location measurements.

Gary's

On 9/25/2019 at 2:31 PM, deadmeat said:

Considering most pricing these days that seems like an obscenely reasonable price for newly tooled Fort.  I'm actually surprised this isn't $200+.

Considering I can pick up a perfectly perfect Revell/Monogram one at Hobby Lobby for $26 after coupon, it seems obscenely, well, obscene.

21 hours ago, echolmberg said:

Considering I can pick up a perfectly perfect Revell/Monogram one at Hobby Lobby for $26 after coupon, it seems obscenely, well, obscene.

And you will still be able to do that, but now there is a kit that isn't 45 years old.   The old Monogram kit has paid for itself many times over, and what it costs isn't relevant for HK.   $118 is a great price for a new tool 1/48 four engine bomber, but you certainly don't have to buy one if you are content with the ancient Monogram.  

Edited by nspreitler