1/48 B-17 series from Hk

Hopefully they fix the nose they got wrong in 1/32nd scale,  or we’ll still be better off with the Revellogram kits

for those unaware of it, the HK fuselage is cylindrical while the real thing is flattened on top. This affects the IP and windscreen as well as the forward upper nose section shape

Edited by mawz
14 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I'll do one if I like the way they do the overlapping panels. Glad they went with an early G , but rather have seen an F

Glt

They did early and late G’s and an E/F in 1/32,

I’d be shocked if they weren’t planning to do all 3 in 1/48 as well

I’d also bet that the panel work will be the same as their 1/32 models

Edited by mawz

Not quite true... HK released a 1/32 late B-17G, then a 1/32 B-17E/F and then re-released the late B-17G with different markings.

You'd never be able to see overlapping panels in 1/48 unless it was so out of scale that would make it look like a shingled roof.  A prototypical  0.040" thick skin overlap will be 0.00083" (that's 83/10,000 of an inch) in 1/48 scale...you'd be hard pressed to even feel that with your fingertip.  From the CAD images I've seen, the panel lines will be recessed with recessed rivets.  I gave the CAD images a cursory look and they did address the "issue" at bulkhead 3 that plagues the 1/32 kits.  They got a lot of things correct for an early B-17G but a few things they got wrong...like the radio room gun in a K-6 mount.  That was not an early B-17G installation.  The correct installation would be what I refer to as the "hula-hoop" gun mount in the radio room.  As was the case in the 17F, the radio room plexi would be removed  and the gun slid rearward into firing position.  You can just see a part of the hula-hoop in the image below.  They also omitted the dual structure in the radio room...dual as in circular fuselage with the turtledeck on top.  They added the wingtip vents....  Those pesky wing tip vents were not on early B-17G's either...those will need to be filled unless you're modeling a field modified ship that had the vents installed.

I just hope they've trimmed the fat out of the fuselage that is present in the 1/32 scale B-17G (and E/F too).  In that scale she's much too fat in the waist (actually the entire fuselage is out of whack) than she should be.

67cvaIH.jpg

The  tail wheel installation is pure fiction as evidenced by the CAD images.

All-in-all, I think this will put a big dent to the market share enjoyed by the Revellogram kit which has been the only G in the 1/48 market since 1975...I received one of the first kits off the production line for Christmas that year.

11 hours ago, mawz said:

I’d be shocked if they weren’t planning to do all 3 in 1/48 as well

I’d also bet that the panel work will be the same as their 1/32 models

I've seen them in the box, but honestly never looked inside. Comming from HK, it will be nice!

Gary

1 hour ago, Silver Seraph said:

I think I saw the MSRP circulating over Master194, USD 280.- ! I was expecting it to be priced a little under USD 200.-... to hell, if done correctly (the nose, please Please PLEASE get it right) I will certainly get one.

The MSRP of the 1/32 kit is USD 330, I'd be surprised if only 50 bucks less is asked for the quarterscale kit.

3 hours ago, Silver Seraph said:

I think I saw the MSRP circulating over Master194, USD 280.- ! I was expecting it to be priced a little under USD 200.-... to hell, if done correctly (the nose, please Please PLEASE get it right) I will certainly get one.

😲 Wow! I'll be keeping my 5 Monogram/Revell F/G/Visible/Promodeler boxings at that price, they all together cost me a lttle more than half that MSRP.

Edited by Charlie D.
16 hours ago, Silver Seraph said:

Say what? Ok I am out then. 

On 9/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, Silver Seraph said:

I think I saw the MSRP circulating over Master194, USD 280.- ! I was expecting it to be priced a little under USD 200.

And welcome to the "cost" of kit technology and new kits in 2019. I suspect that most modelers, when faced with that sort of sticker shock, are going to opt for the venerable Revellogram kits. Economically, it only makes sense. While a new kit with ALL the bells and whistles, is oh so attractive, the reality is that all of that comes with a huge cost. I am not sure if I will pick one up or not at that price. Probably not, unless I am able to get it on the used circuit or find an online retailer slashing the price as a loss leader. I am not saying it won't be worth it, I am simply saying that it just goes way above my pain threshold.

On 9/23/2019 at 3:47 PM, Silver Seraph said:

I think I saw the MSRP circulating over Master194, USD 280.- 

No, you did not.

The post: 

Lets predict a big box full ≤ 280 €? : Shock:

Is just some guy throwing out a prediction.  It is NOT an MSRP.

5 hours ago, MoFo said:

No, you did not.

The post: 

Is just some guy throwing out a prediction.  It is NOT an MSRP.

I think he edited the post, what I read wasn't this "prediction". Anyway I am happy if this new release from HKM turns out to be more accessible.

With the todays increase in everythings cost and apparent great level of detail, one could not reasonably expect a new tech 1/48 B-17 priced under USD 100, but USD 280 felt like we really had to deserve it.

And at an MSRP of $118, that sound you hear in the background is every Revellogram (save for two or three) being rapidly listed for sale on the used kit market. I am shocked, I expected an MSRP of at least $150-160. Since the the street price will probably be roughly $100 or so, I can spring for at least two or three over time! Good on ya HK, now just make it!

Edited by madmanrick
On 9/25/2019 at 3:21 AM, madmanrick said:

And at an MSRP of $118, that sound you hear in the background is every Revellogram (save for two or three) being rapidly listed for sale on the used kit market. I am shocked, I expected an MSRP of at least $150-160. Since the the street price will probably be roughly $100 or so, I can spring for at least two or three over time! Good on ya HK, now just make it!

While that price sounds much more appealing, I'll still be keeping my F, G, ProModeler, and 2 visible Forts...

I've got 1/48 B-17G as a saved eBay search, will be intersting to see if suddenly there is a flood, may pick up a few more if I can get them cheap. Still looking for an original box art in good condition to cut out and put on the wall in the garage.