1/48 B-17 series from Hk

Ok so in looking at that pre-order site, it seems the "MSRP" isn't $118, it appears that it may in fact be $139.95. Therefore, $118.95 may be the approximate "street price" and while that is high, for me at least, it is doable. I may only end up with one though and use my existing stash of Revellogram kits to make my conversions (my PB-1 and Koster B-17C/D). I may even pick up another Revellogram kit, if they are cheap enough!

Its all about choice and options. I don't think the HK 'Fort(s)' is/are going to hurt the Monogram/Revell B-17's sales or builds for the average modeler because they're still nice kits considering their age and pretty cheap in price. But now folks who want more for a B-17 can choose to spend the $100+ (...plus X amount more $ for yet more aftermarket...) if they choose to. Choice and options are good in my books. Personally, I don't see myself running out and buying the HK kit because I'm not the worlds biggest B-17 fan and I've already got a number of Monogram and Revell B-17's with AM waiting in the stash...and maybe I can grab a couple more kits and bits and bobs of AM  if people fire sale theirs in the rush to grab an HK kit :coolio:. Its all good.

Happy modeling!

I went on FB and took a look at all the photos in James’s post.  The surface detail looks excellent but there are a ton of ejector pin marks on the bomb bay doors - that is screaming for an aftermarket fix.  I am very tempted to get one and build it up as Nine O Nine after what happened yesterday.   

Steve

It's basically the same price as the Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat and cheaper than the nearly 40 year old Tamiya Lancaster.

I fail to see any issues with the pricing. Frankly, I was expecting it to be higher, with a street of $150 or so.

Despite having three 1/48th B-17s (1 ea Pro-Modeler, Monogram & Revell) and eight 1/72nd scale kits in my stash I went and pulled the trigger and ordered one for $138.95, which includes S&H.  If or when these guys release an E/F there's a 99.9% chance I'll get one of those as well.   

I wonder though if HK has given any consideration to doing a B/C/D model in 1/48th scale? 

To be honest, I'm not seeing a HUGE difference in fidelity of detailing compared to the venerable Monogram kit.

I'll wait for the build reviews before considering placing an order.   I will say that an "F" version would have been easier to pre-order.

Early B-17 in quarter scale (and in big scale 1/32) too is financial suicide. B-17 in both scales is big and early after war versions haven´t a "mark of glory" as "F" and "G" which offer a many attractive (anti)camouflage, nose arts etc... Nobody can risk with early "Fortress". You must make a whole kit from zero... In classic injection plastic we haven´t an more small and simple FW-190A-1. Early Fortess exist as Academy kit in 1/72 and i´am very sceptic for any big scale initial B-17. WW 2 production can be an bestseller, but early ? Simple not. And i don´t believe an company offer  this early B-17 as short-run or resin...  

C-46 Commando in 1/48 i need too - very beautiful and elegant aircraft !

What difference does it make if you buy the old Monogram kit for say $25 or so and then shell out way more than that for some aftermarket goodies to improve the kit?  I mean, won't you end up paying nearly just as much as you would if you got the HK kit?

What difference does it make if you buy the old Monogram kit for say $25 or so and then shell out way more than that for some aftermarket goodies to improve the kit?  I mean, won't you end up paying nearly just as much as you would if you got the HK kit?

Probably more, engines, interior, wheels, clear parts, gun barrels, etc are easily going to add up to $75 or more.   

Probably more, engines, interior, wheels, clear parts, gun barrels, etc are easily going to add up to $75 or more.   

And at the end of the day you still have a kit with decades old surface detailing, complete with raised panel lines.   The surface details on the HK kit look amazing.   

I'd say there's plenty of room for both kits. The Monogram kit is still a very good model. It has a reasonable amount of detail and is pretty darn accurate. It's also the basis for a really really detailed model with some scratch building skills and finessing. Or you can add a ton of aftermarket and make it better as well. But more than that, it's an affordable kit for a beginner or intermediate builder to get their feet wet. The HK kit looks like it's going to be a great kit, but is likely out of the price point that a young starter builder is going to get. So I think they compliment each other just fine.

I don´t know a B-17 in quarter scale is good choice for young (beginner) modeler. It is a huge aircraft and young modelers painted their kits by brush (not airbrush). I never had Monogram B-17, but i have a B-58 "Hustler". Nice kit - but - warped parts.... And this is problem. I was shocked (in a good sense) with teriffic details in cockpit etc... (in 35 years old kit), but quality of moulding was a little problematic. 1/72 small scale Fortress you can paint with brush, but not quarter scale (today it is a obsolete method). I love Hustler, it is a very beautiful Aircraft, but i sold Monogram kit, because isn´t shake and bake. And Fortress or Liberator i never bought, because i was worry with build....  Now, impatiently wait for HK kit and still hope in new quarter scale Liberator. On NT Hustler i don´t wait, but it was a nice, when be any company make new quarter scale B-58.

Despite having three 1/48th B-17s (1 ea Pro-Modeler, Monogram & Revell) and eight 1/72nd scale kits in my stash I went and pulled the trigger and ordered one for $138.95, which includes S&H.  If or when these guys release an E/F there's a 99.9% chance I'll get one of those as well.   

I wonder though if HK has given any consideration to doing a B/C/D model in 1/48th scale? 

Where did you order yours from ?

The panel lines on he HK model seem really wide and deep. As I recall, the actual plane does not have pronounced panel lines. I think that the panels on the actual plane overlapped at the panel joints.

The panel lines on he HK model seem really wide and deep. As I recall, the actual plane does not have pronounced panel lines. I think that the panels on the actual plane overlapped at the panel joints.

Yes, the B-17 has overlapping panel joints in most places.  However, to render that effect in 1/48 scale, and at a scale thickness, you would be at 0.0008" (8/10,000 of an inch).  That's probably so small that most of us couldn't even feel it with our fingers.  Just as a point of reference, a piece of regular 25 lb. copy paper is 0.003" (3/1000 of an inch).  Even with an out of scale effort, it would be extremely hard to render the overlapping joints and would no doubt raise the cost of the tooling so that the kit would be much more expensive than it already is; and a few swipes with some rough sandpaper along seams will eliminate that effect totally making it look like an old beater car that someone put 15 lbs of Bondo along the door and sanded it by hand with a sanding block (and then painted it).  You know the type... it's that car that waves at you when it drives by.  While the recessed panel lines are out of scale, I am of the opinion that finishing will subdue a lot of that depth and in the end, what is there looks pretty damn good to my eye.

Edited by timc