1/48 B-17 series from Hk

The HK 1/48 downscale fuselage will look like this ... . Same issues as 1/32 model, comparing real plane and old Monogram kit. I have 32 scale and measured it far and wide, using original Boeing plans and figures. We discussed 32nd issues in detail here if you interested. In 1/48 release HK corrected nose shape before pilot's windshield, but the rest obviously left "as is". So the fuselage is quite thick all length and tail section have wrong angle regarding datum line of original.
48775101433_db145b761e_b.jpg
48775638192_7e37de2829_b.jpg
48775638552_502a5150e6_b.jpg
48775638857_a08f26875c_b.jpg
48775639182_7d20656ca3_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am no expert whatsoever, but it looks like Monogram is pretty close to the real thing based on the pic above ^^^ and this pic below:

B-17-Shoo-Shoo-Baby-USAF-Museum.jpg

Which makes that HK outer engine look quite a ways off.

The wing is correct, the outboard engine appears to be located above the wing instead of below the wing. However, I have never seen a real B-17, so I shouldn't be making comments. Who knows if the engine locations on my Revellogram B-17 is correct?  I don't.

Edited by Johnny_K

59VKvWS.jpg?1

Now, this is an interesting picture. It looks like the hubs of the outboard engines of the B-17 are located at the wing's centerline. I like this picture. It shows the different locations of the main wings on the B-17 (bottom), B-24  (top) and B-29 (middle).

Edited by Johnny_K
16 hours ago, B-17 guy said:

Are those engines upside down?

I think your right. Looking at the approximate centerline of the wing verses the spinner tip, and things don't add up. Plus you have two conflicting angles in the one photo. I'll wait and see what's in the box before trashing the kit

Gary

Based on those diagrams ^^^ I'd say Monograms are pretty darn close to accurate. I'll wait and see for when more info comes available on the HK B-17 but right now their engines certainly look wonky in that picture a few posts above.

Happy modeling!

Ok, so looking at those engines, I can’t tell if they are upside or not. Honestly they don’t look right when compared to the real thing. I don’t have a small enough picture of one to post. But to me the kit engines look like generic radial engines instead of wright cyclone radials. 

Also, in that picture of the kit with the wing mounted, the wing looks like it's drooping instead of an upward dihedral. I don't know if that's the fuse sitting at an outward angle or if the wing is actually hanging, but that's another odd looking thing in that photo. I hope this isn't too big of an issue as the kit looks to have a lot or promise.

Edited by niart17

Had a look around for a couple B17 books, and found one I forgot I owned. The one by Jablonski. Looking at the photo, the outboard engine looks to be mounted upside down. Also the outboard engine will appear to sit higher due to the four and a half degree wing dihedral. Oddly the one drawing I found to show this best also has the outboard engine slightly below wing center on the pilots side. I'm sure that is an illusion! Photos seem to align with sketches produced by Jablonski. 

As I said before; I'll simply wait

Gary's

The more I look at that pic of the kit wing above, I wonder if it's just a case of the cowling not being situated correctly? It looks like MAYBE the cowling is angle down slightly towards the nose, which would make the engine look low. I hope that's the extent of what's going on. Would be good to see another pic maybe without the cowling or with it confirmed to be in the correct placement.

Edited by niart17
8 hours ago, niart17 said:

The more I look at that pic of the kit wing above, I wonder if it's just a case of the cowling not being situated correctly? It looks like MAYBE the cowling is angle down slightly towards the nose, which would make the engine look low. I hope that's the extent of what's going on. Would be good to see another pic maybe without the cowling or with it confirmed to be in the correct placement.

Looked at a second book after I made the above post. It pretty much went along with my thoughts. Never realized how much wing dihedral was built into the airframe! 

Glt

3 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

monogram should re-release the B-17 with photo etch and resin update and some figures

IIRC the Pro-Modeler release had crew figures and a small amount of PE.  Also, if memory serves me right, I think it had the Cheyenne tail turret.

Over on the Modeling Madness site there is review build of a test shot of the kit from 3 years ago and, to my eye at least,  the placement of the engines look alright.  Given the review was based on a test shot from 3 years ago, maybe something happened with the engine placement between then and today.  

The one thing I noticed on the review build is the outer engine nacelles extending back from the firewall and over the top of the wing looks odd when compared to the same areas on the inboard engines and some pics of Monogram builds & real a/c I looked at.