1/48 B-17 series from Hk

I kinda think the engines are right, but have not seen this kit. Looking again at Jablonski's book I see that the outboard engines are slightly above the wing center line. He gives some deminsions, but also fails to give an exact gauge line location. With that number we could easily calculate the center line of the engines. 

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

It's a YouTube video.  Go to their site and type in HK Models 1/48th scale B-17G and look for the one by a guy named worldinminiature.  It's one of two that I found, the other being in German.  The one thing I noticed about the German review is he joined a set of wing halves together and, based on the engine mount hole in the fire wall, there doesn't look like could be an engine alignment issue.  I also noticed the clear sprue comes with three different types of top turret domes.  

Edited by afspret
11 hours ago, afspret said:

It's a YouTube video.  Go to their site and type in HK Models 1/48th scale B-17G and look for the one by a guy named worldinminiature.  It's one of two that I found, the other being in German.  The one thing I noticed about the German review is he joined a set of wing halves together and, based on the engine mount hole in the fire wall, there doesn't look like could be an engine alignment issue.  I also noticed the clear sprue comes with three different types of top turret domes.  

I took a look at the review of the B-17G. It is interesting that the forward and rear portions of the fuselage are separate parts. Maybe HK intends to produce different versions of the B-17 using different nose and tail parts.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:51 AM, Johnny_K said:

I took a look at the review of the B-17G. It is interesting that the forward and rear portions of the fuselage are separate parts. Maybe HK intends to produce different versions of the B-17 using different nose and tail parts.

They are. 

They're planning a E/F and probably a G Late

On 10/6/2019 at 4:35 PM, AlCZ said:

Early B-17 in quarter scale (and in big scale 1/32) too is financial suicide. B-17 in both scales is big and early after war versions haven´t a "mark of glory" as "F" and "G" which offer a many attractive (anti)camouflage, nose arts etc... Nobody can risk with early "Fortress". You must make a whole kit from zero... In classic injection plastic we haven´t an more small and simple FW-190A-1. Early Fortess exist as Academy kit in 1/72 and i´am very sceptic for any big scale initial B-17. WW 2 production can be an bestseller, but early ? Simple not. And i don´t believe an company offer  this early B-17 as short-run or resin...  

C-46 Commando in 1/48 i need too - very beautiful and elegant aircraft !

A b17f will easily out sell the b17g!! I was worried about the waist guns, but they were smart and did the right ones.

Glt

2 hours ago, caughtinthemiddle said:

If anyone considered installing Master gun barrels, this can be easily done and you don't even have to drill out the guns as in the case of Monogram kit: https://www.kfs-miniatures.com/1-48-boeing-b-17-flying-fortress-machine-gun-barrels-set-master/

Can I assume that those gun barrels would work on any of the 1/48 Revellogram bombers?

I got mine from Spruebrothers today, and did a quick comparison with the Monogram kit.    The HK is about 1/4 inch longer, but the shapes in my view look fine.  The other things that have been mentioned like top turret location look the same as the Monogram.  

Fuselage halves, Monogram on top

iFZIRcB.jpg?1

Tail taped together, the size and profile is identical between the two tails.  

bwr0GYr.jpg

The wings are slightly different around the wingtip and ailerons, but the rest matches

k9XA2tx.jpg

HK and Monogram wing taped together,  the Monogram is on top.  The HK wing is wider than the Monogram.  

eDcoQID.jpg

The horizontal stabilizers are identical in size and shape.  

RwnVV8k.jpg

On the engines the cooling fins are less pronounced on the HK compared to the Monogram.  There is also a Quickboost engine in this picture.  

xdOBPJp.jpg

With the tail lined up this is the difference in the nose, showing the HK is longer by roughly 1/4".  

60lOsvW.jpg

Top of the HK lined up with the Monogram, and no real difference in location of the top turret, which had been a complaint that is unfounded.  

kSmxJvu.jpg

The wings, the HK is more accurate here . 

4pY1sXG.jpg?1

The nose, the shape is the same 

DPNbXzC.jpg?1

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison. I just recently acquired an early boxing of the Monogram kit that's in pretty good shape. Nice to see where it compares to the new kit. Curious about the 1/4" difference. Anyone with theories or insight on that discrepancy? Thanks again.

Bill

Thank you so much for the comparison, nspreitler!  Truly appreciated.

Would you be able to show a comparison of the engine locations as well, as the initial photos showed that the outboard engines appeared to be way to high in placement.

• 2 weeks later...