1/48 B-17 series from Hk

Three days into building and still doing detail painting,  For a kit with not a lot of parts, there is a lot of detail work.  Fit so far looks to be pretty good, the only potential problem might be the leading edge seam on the wings.  The fit seems good enough that I am seriously considering natural metal for the finish.  If planning to use the instrument decal, scrape off the molded dials on the instrument panel.  The decal really does not fit the mold pattern very well.  There is a fair amount of natural wood finish on the interior, a good chance to practice wood grain painting, or use of wood grain decals.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with the kit. It should build into a pretty nice model.  Also, consider liberating the bombs from a Monogram kit, they are a much better representation of 1000 pounders.  Cheers, Dave.

2 hours ago, HistnScale said:

Sorry, Niels, I do not have a third party hosting service to post from.  Cheers, Dave.

You could try Imgur for posting pictures. I have used it for a couple of years. It's a little klutzy at times, but it's free.

5 hours ago, HistnScale said:

Sorry, Niels, I do not have a third party hosting service to post from.  Cheers, Dave.

it's not as elegant as a photo hosting service but you can post pics direct to the thread provided you keep the file size down. Just another option for a few shots here and there.

Bill

Anyone know if I can link from photos posted on HyperScale?  Build up date.  The wings will go together with very little fit issue if you pay attention to the locating pins.  Like the very old Monogram kits, some of the pins are a tad to long or slightly out of place.  Identifying and removing them solves the wing fit.  Cheers, Dave.

On 1/3/2020 at 8:09 AM, HistnScale said:

I’ve had good luck with Postimage.org. It’s easy to use. 

I have also looked for your thread over at Hyperscale but I can’t find it. I would like to see the pictures as I received this kit as a gift from one of my sons at Christmas.  If you can please post a link to your thread. 

Guys, as I mentioned above, I am still in the detail painting phase, and there is a lot of prep painting before assembling.  I will try to start a thread on HyperScale around midweek.  At that time, I will be sure to post a link.  The build thread will be in the Theme Pics area on HS.

Wing Warning.  There has been a lot of discussion about the wing having too much diheadral  out board of the engine nacelles or being warped.  HKM molded a reinforcing framework on the inner surfaces of the wing panels along with a series of posts that interlock like locating pins.  It appears, after assembling the wings, that these structures are too high in various places.  After assembly, the upper wing surface has a series of high and low spots causing a ripple effect.  When looking at the wing head on, the ripple in the surface gives an illusion that the wing is cranked.  I would suggest some diligent sanding of the framing and removal of the locating posts before putting glue to the wing.  I managed to work the assembled wings enough to snap the locating post and that went a long way towards fixing the problem.  Test fit and adjust.  HTH, Dave.

2 hours ago, HistnScale said:

Guys, as I mentioned above, I am still in the detail painting phase, and there is a lot of prep painting before assembling.  I will try to start a thread on HyperScale around midweek.  At that time, I will be sure to post a link.  The build thread will be in the Theme Pics area on HS.

Wing Warning.  There has been a lot of discussion about the wing having too much diheadral  out board of the engine nacelles or being warped.  HKM molded a reinforcing framework on the inner surfaces of the wing panels along with a series of posts that interlock like locating pins.  It appears, after assembling the wings, that these structures are too high in various places.  After assembly, the upper wing surface has a series of high and low spots causing a ripple effect.  When looking at the wing head on, the ripple in the surface gives an illusion that the wing is cranked.  I would suggest some diligent sanding of the framing and removal of the locating posts before putting glue to the wing.  I managed to work the assembled wings enough to snap the locating post and that went a long way towards fixing the problem.  Test fit and adjust.  HTH, Dave.

wow, that’s some great advice!  Thanks for posting that!

I have had the same problem with warped wings on Revellogram 1/48 scale  bombers, namely the B-29, B-24 and B-58. I solved the problem by straightening the wings using an architects scale, clamp and rubber bands. The architect's scale is super stiff, it removes the warp from the wing and makes it flat. Works like a charm.

92z5DRR.jpg?1 

This is a B-24 wing.

rXGoxBb.jpg?1

This is a B-58 wing.

rKmd1JD.jpg?2

This is a B-29 wing.

gDusUWY.jpg?2

This is the warped B-29 wing after using the architect's scale trick. It is straight as an arrow. 

Edited by Johnny_K
  • 2 weeks later...

Something in one of the sites is preventing my posting a direct link.  If you can manage to get a link to post, by all means feel free.  Otherwise, check hyperscale's theme pics section.  The last time I looked, the B-17 post was very near the top.  Cheers, Dave.

46 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Kinda OT but was the radio compartment floor really unfinished wood?

Yes but plywood was covered with black anti-skid paint or rubber mat (earlier aircraft) to include the camera bay door.

1 hour ago, timc said:

Yes but plywood was covered with black anti-skid paint or rubber mat (earlier aircraft) to include the camera bay door.

That’s what I thought.   The build on HS that was linked showed a weird tone of bare wood. 

Regarding the unfinished floor in the radio compartment, I was experimenting with different wood grain decals and am not real happy with the results.  I decided to leave it alone since not a lot of the area shows after the fuselage is closed up.  I did change over to to shaved wood veneer in some other areas that turned out better.  In doing research, some notes came up that a number of crews stripped out the rubber mats and fabric insulating material due to fire hazard.  At any rate, the fuselage is now closed up and most of what is in the photos is gone forever.  Cheers, Dave.

PS:  Follow the sequence in the instructions when closing the fuselage.  Deviate at your own risk.

Edited by HistnScale
  • 7 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 7:51 AM, HistnScale said:

Regarding the unfinished floor in the radio compartment, I was experimenting with different wood grain decals and am not real happy with the results.  I decided to leave it alone since not a lot of the area shows after the fuselage is closed up.  I did change over to to shaved wood veneer in some other areas that turned out better.  In doing research, some notes came up that a number of crews stripped out the rubber mats and fabric insulating material due to fire hazard.  At any rate, the fuselage is now closed up and most of what is in the photos is gone forever.  Cheers, Dave.

PS:  Follow the sequence in the instructions when closing the fuselage.  Deviate at your own risk.

if you happen to know somebody that smoke cigars that come in a metal tube, they are almost always wrapped in a very thin piece of cedar. I'd guess it to be five to eight thousandths thick. 

gary

1 hour ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

I'd still like to see a comparison of the Monogram and HK fuselages taped together at the aft fuselage halves.

why do that? Then your comparing error to error. Best build I've seen is on Britmodeler in their work in progress thread. Good enough that I'm going to buy one just for the outside finish and seams.

gary

6 hours ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

Thanks. I did't know the Monogram fuselage had errors. I don't know that the HK fuselage does either. I just know they don't look the same. It would be good to lay the parts over a factory drawing if such existed. I don'know. I just asked. Nobody has to answer, but nothing wrong with asking. 

pretty sure neither is perfect. I think kits are just fine, but love the way the HKM did the surface finish on their kit. Just looks the part to my eyes.  The factory blue prints are government property ( if the Fed dumps money into the project then it' their property by law). Drawings are for assembly and machining purposes only. Numbers are right, but shapes are just generic. Still think they should have debuted with a B17f and the an early B17g. I'm also wanting them to do a B24 series!

gary