CV-22 Osprey - night flying technical question

I'm not an Osprey expert and my knowledge of them is therefore limited.

So - I'm sat on the sofa last Friday night (after dark) and I hear a pair of Ospreys heading in my direction (nothing else sounds like an Osprey and they are a common 'species' in this part of the world). I rush out onto the decking and soon spot them approaching...

This is a low flying area so they are running at maybe 500 feet above the valley floor and I'm located about 150 feet up the valley side, so I have a fairly shallow angle of view.

My technical question is this: The first one was running without lights but I could see two green close-spaced 'spots' on the nose of the aircraft (can't see the aircraft itself) - are these lights or was I seeing the cockpit interior glow?

The second aircraft was running with full lights and anti-collision strobes but the two green 'spots' could also be seen on this one.

The Ospreys did a second circuit about five minutes later and the same light arrangement was seen again.

As an aside, is there a particular reason why the leader would fly without lights but the trailer would run with them? (my guess was the leader's lights might interfere with the trailer's night vision system - but happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable than me).

Fundamentally I'm just curious, but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John