Any other CAF decal makers besides Leading Edge?

I'm not sure which forum to place this in, but this seems fine. 

I'm searching around for some colorful CF-188 decals in 1/48, but the only ones I can see for sale online are from Leading Edge. And since all but a few are sold out, the asking prices are pretty high, even for second-hand.

Are there any alternative manufacturers?

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

You might try JBot decals.  He is still in business and has a wide selection of Canadian subjects. 

Nice! He doesn't have what I'm after at the moment, but I know where to turn to when I get around to building a tutor! Good deal! 

RKic, 

I would recommend buying sooner than later from JBot as Jim Botaitas is not getting any younger and may decide to hang it up soon as well.  Alot of the print on demand guys seem to be frustrated by consumers who expect immediate delivery or don't understand the time and expense it takes for a one-man operation to create artwork and print decals.  Jim is a decent fellow and worth every penny.  He has done a couple of custom print jobs fo rme.  Highly recommended.

R/

Dutch  

12 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

CanMilAir also had a huge catalogue but due to printer reliability closed the decal side of the business last year.

Brother Ray,

William Burns had offered all of his CanMilAir artwork and decal stock for sale.  Does anyone know if someone bought it and plans to re introduce the line?  He had several irreplaceable schemes for some select subjects.

R/ Dutch

Looks like I might have to pony up that $75+ for the out of print Leading Edge sheet if I want to build a Canadian showbird hornet. I just can't reconcile paying more for decals than I did for the model :) 

9 hours ago, Dutch said:

Brother Ray,

William Burns had offered all of his CanMilAir artwork and decal stock for sale.  Does anyone know if someone bought it and plans to re introduce the line?  He had several irreplaceable schemes for some select subjects.

R/ Dutch

Looks like the artwork is still available, If you go into the news section of the website there is mention of it on offer to interested parties.

3 hours ago, RKic said:

Yeah.... don't pay the 75.... It comes up at lower prices be patient. Have 2 in 1/72nd scale because I'll be doing both schemes. I'll keep my eyes open for you at Model shows. Took me some time but I found some Avro arrow resin for another ARCer. Took 3 years though.

Cheers.

Emil

23 minutes ago, Emvar said:

Yeah.... don't pay the 75.... It comes up at lower prices be patient. Have 2 in 1/72nd scale because I'll be doing both schemes. I'll keep my eyes open for you at Model shows. Took me some time but I found some Avro arrow resin for another ARCer. Took 3 years though.

Cheers.

Emil

I'm with Emil. I wanted one of the Leading Edge sheets bad, found one for $75 on eBay. Decided to get it as I couldn't find it anywhere else. Soon as I bought it another popped up for about 17$ (bought it too, always good to have two). You just have to be patient. There will be nothing for a long while and then all of a sudden a bunch of them will show up.

BTW, about having two sheets. I once ended up with two Leading Edge sheets. I had order one from Leading Edge but it never showed up, so the owner (don't remember his name, real nice guy) sent another. As soon as I got the second sheet, the first showed up. The owner said to keep it as his decals can sometimes be difficult to work with and having a second sheet was good insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad really, that there aren't more decal guys doing Canadian stuff.  I had high hopes for Canuck, to fill the void when Leading Edge went on hiatus, but sadly, they fell off the radar.  I am happy that Leading Edge is back printing stuff.  I'm hoping for some new stuff, so we'll have to wait and see.  I'm surprised that Belcher Bits doesn't release more Canadian content though.

Sad really, that there aren't more decal guys doing Canadian stuff.  I had high hopes for Canuck, to fill the void when Leading Edge went on hiatus, but sadly, they fell off the radar.  I am happy that Leading Edge is back printing stuff.  I'm hoping for some new stuff, so we'll have to wait and see.  I'm surprised that Belcher Bits doesn't release more Canadian content though.

I probably don't have enough data points to fully support this; but I have done a few subjects with Canadian options and I tend to believe that it would be difficult to sustain a top-tier silkscreen decal business by exclusively doing Canadian subjects. 

I also had higher expectations for Canuck until he inexplicably (to me anyway) decided to branch into decal printing and compete with the likes of Cartograf and at the same time  continue operating as a decal maker and compete with his potential printing customers. 

Caracal Models will certainly step up its efforts to release more Canadian and Australian modern subjects as I see that the demand is there. I do need help with references though. 

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 months later...
On 9/26/2019 at 3:42 AM, Emvar said:

Cheers.

Emil

And thanks again!!

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Blank!  Canuck Models is out of the decal business!  I have ben searching for his 1/72 #009-72 CF-101 Voodoo special markings set for some time now.

Microscale did a 1/72 decal sheet that had Hawk One, Lynx One, and 067 (414 Squadrons Black EW Voodoo) on one sheet. Its just missing Lark One. I just looked on EBay by searching "1/72 CF-101 Voodoo Decals" and a few popped up for under $14 USD. I've used the sheet myself and the decals were just fine.

Hope this helps.

Happy Modeling!

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, KursadA said:

I probably don't have enough data points to fully support this; but I have done a few subjects with Canadian options and I tend to believe that it would be difficult to sustain a top-tier silkscreen decal business by exclusively doing Canadian subjects. 

I also had higher expectations for Canuck until he inexplicably (to me anyway) decided to branch into decal printing and compete with the likes of Cartograf and at the same time  continue operating as a decal maker and compete with his potential printing customers. 

Caracal Models will certainly step up its efforts to release more Canadian and Australian modern subjects as I see that the demand is there. I do need help with references though. 

Sorry Kursad...yes, you have done some Canadian subjects....and one's that no one else has done.