Inspired by a discussion  about building a Su-37 -

The discussion suggested combining the back end of the 1/72 scale two-seat Zvezda Su-30SM with the front end of the Zvezda Su-33 to make the single seat Su-37.

A new longer (and slightly fatter) nose is needed - along with taller, square-tipped fins - plus a few other minor changes - but the whole thing looks do-able.

I have both kits in my stash, so I got both out for comparison - and liked what I saw.... so here goes....

spacer.png

As they are both from the same manufacturer, the panel lines match up - the Su-30SM is on the left - with the Su-33 on the right.

spacer.png

The fuselages butchered / separated....... Note how the airbrakes differ.

spacer.png

.... and swapped over (the left hand one will be the Su-37, the right-hand one will become a Chinese J-17/J-15D)

spacer.png

Plastic card strips used the strengthen the joint.

Now, I just need to work out how to do the fatter/longer Su-37 radome.

More later..

Ken

Progress......

The first application of filler along the joins.......

spacer.png

I used the Su-33 cockpit tub - but with the Su-30SM decals as they have MFD screens - not 100% accurate for a Su-37

but with the canopy closed.....

Zvezda provide the sliding throttle control on the left - but the Su-37 was fitted with a sidestick controller (right) - so I used the kit

control column cut down......

spacer.png

Su-33 front end, married to the Su-30SM rear end..............

spacer.png

.... with the complete Su-30SM lower fuselage attached - and it all fits..... :thumbsup:

spacer.png

Now for some sanding/filling/sanding....

Ken

Thanks Janne... more butchery....

I'm happy with the joint lines - they are now eliminated....

spacer.png

So it's onto that problematic nose......

Published dimensions give the T10 (Su-27) and T10M (Su-37) as having the same overall length - but the Su-27 length includes the nose pitot.

That means that the Su-37 (which doesn't have a nose pitot) must have the nose / radome lengthened by the same length as the pitot (11mm in the kit)

The radome is also slightly wider in diameter - and without the slight double curvature of the Su-27 radome......

I'm lengthening the kit radome by inserting a length of 15mm dia plastic knitting needle between the fuselage nose and radome - I'll fill in the recess with scraps of plastic later.......

spacer.png

I'm not 'fattening' the radome - the difference is minimal in 1/72 scale - but I'll try and re-shape the curvature to an approximation of the Su-37 shape.

Ken

Looking at pictures of the 37 and 27 I think your assumption is correct Ken. The 37 nose does look visually longer and the lengths confirm this. I think once the nose is filled and re-profiled it will look the part. What is the diameter difference in real life and in scale? Perhaps a bit of extra beef there will help it look the part more after all?

More....

The gap betwen the lengthened radome and fuselage is filled in with scraps of plastic card....

spacer.png

.... followed by filler and a first sanding.... people of a nervous disposition look away now..

spacer.png

I've also made the new tailboom - using an 8mm plastic knitting needle cut and carved to shape -

spacer.png

More butchery to follow...

Ken

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...