MiG-29SMT, Zvezda 1:72

End of summer and new project!

Unlike most of the kits that start with cockpit assembly, I started this one down below, in the wheel wells.

mig29wip-1-XL.jpg

Some additional wiring was added to the wells, as well as some bottles attached to the right side well, as seen at MAKS'19.

mig29wip-2-XL.jpg

Some PE detailing added to intakes and front wheel well. The fit so far is good.

mig29wip-3-XL.jpg

I've decided to rivet the whole model, which I haven't done in a long long time. Time consuming, yes, but I think it will be worthwhile in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Up to you old tricks again.... how about an update?

haha well, I've been tied to bed for two weeks, then tied to work and this past weekend, I travelled to Czech republic for a modelling contest and a little bit of speedway... update should follow soon 😉

haha well, I've been tied to bed for two weeks, then tied to work and this past weekend, I travelled to Czech republic for a modelling contest and a little bit of speedway... update should follow soon 😉

Tied to the bed? Say no more..... 😂😂😂😂

Looking forward to an update 😄

my little daughter takes away so much time, but still, I managed to move forward a bit.

mig29wip-5-XL.jpg

While Zvezda made nice over-exhaust plates on their 9.13 kit, they somehow missed this area when designing the SMT and made those plates without any details. While not perfect, simple scribing and rectangual pieces of Tamiya tape make quite a difference.

mig29wip-6-XL.jpg

One of the reasons why I’d pick Zvezda over Trumpeter MiG-29 any day in 1:72 scale. Trumpeter completely simplified the shape of engine bulges; too narrow and without that inital curve that makes them look really beefy on real aircraft.

mig29wip-4-XL.jpg

Really like this stage of model building when you put sub-assemblies together and the model takes shape of the aircraft you’re building.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, mate!

mig29wip-7-XL.jpg

While I like using Eduard's photoetched parts, I really hate the fact that most often than not, their cockpits are painted in wrong colours and the flat surfaces appear really grainy. So what I did was cut thin strips of Tamiya masking tape and masked the panels and sprayed everything else with correct cockpit colour. No fear of mismatched PE-plastic colours.

mig29wip-8-XL.jpg

Cockpit installed and windshield attached. The assembly was pretty straightforward but I did manage to make a boo-boo out of a HUD. I've tried folding the PE part just with my tweezers but I didn't get nice 90deg angles and the end result was terrible. So I leveled the PE part again and used the PE bending tool (don't know why I didn't use it in the first place?!?) and fixed that s*it!

mig29wip-9-XL.jpg

I intend to use Master brass pitot tube - you can see how much better it looks than its plastic counterpart. However the attachment point is much narrower diameter than the kit part, so I've had to attach the plastic one first, and filled the seam with CA glue. I'll have to cut the tube off and sand the radom cone to shape, to accomodate the replacement brass part.

mig29wip-10-XL.jpg

The result of over engine panels under a coat of primer - not perfect or 100% accurate, but still much better than just leaving them plain.

mig29wip-11-XL.jpg

Just before installing the tail fins to the model, I noticed on my reference photos, that the aircraft I am building, has strengthening plates installed. creating a simple template, I made those out of Tamiya masking tape.

mig29wip-12-XL.jpg

I've recently became a really big fan of One Shot primer by Ammo (also known as Stynylrez and Ultimate Primer).

mig29wip-14-XL.jpg

Instead of using black basing, I have used the primer's dark grey colour as a base to show through the light grey of the underside.

mig29wip-13-XL.jpg

Tracing the approximate lines of the splinter pattern, the upper light grey was applied. Also note the chipping on the left wing's leading edge.

Thanks guys!

A small update.

Decals have been applied. I am using Begemot decals and I am having two issues with these. First is that some red stenciling, especially those with red X symbols are printed slightly too bold and thus became too noticable. The second issue is the clear carrier film. I am getting a strange effect on some stencil decals, that slightly resembles silvering, but it's not. Actually the colour behind the decals looks slightley brighter than the surrounding. Never happened to me before but it is what it is. I'll fade the decals anyway so I hope in the end, it won't be too noticable.

mig29wip-19-XL.jpg

mig29wip-20-XL.jpg

Amigo Models exhausts were used in this build and they were painted in various shades of Mr.Paint metallic paints. I am quite satisfied with the result; current look is a bit vivid but after the wash, I am quite certain, the heat stained effect will be properly restricted.

mig29wip-21-XL.jpg

mig29wip-22-XL.jpg

Shame about the slight issue with the decals. One can really notice the carrier film and bold lettering but I'm sure you can work it out.

The paint job looks great though! The SMT is not my favourite Fulcrum, but luckily they chose a different and pretty cool camo for it.

Is there a small step between the windscreen and the fuselage?

I've got no other solution but do something about it 😄

Yeah, the camo got my attention as well.

There is a slight step, maybe a bit too pronounced by shadow in the pics. But there's one as well on the real deal, but in most cases, there's also the black antiglare painted part going by that line as well...

17 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

The second issue is the clear carrier film. I am getting a strange effect on some stencil decals, that slightly resembles silvering, but it's not. Actually the colour behind the decals looks slightley brighter than the surrounding. Never happened to me before but it is what it is. I'll fade the decals anyway so I hope in the end, it won't be too noticable.

I've had some problems with some Begemot decals in the past. I contacted them and they were very responsive and I had a new set of decals (Su-33 set) in a couple of weeks. You might try contacting them and see what they say about your problem. They may have some recommendations.

Nice work, love the SMT's scheme. I've had something similar decal problem to what You describe - as if there was some lighter spot of paint under decals. Mostly happened with Japanese decals. Sometimes things like that also appeared on Tamiya gloss coat after I left the Micro Set drop for too long, so I assumed it was just a reaction with gloss coat. It eventually disappeared after few hours though. Or under the matt coat.

Perhaps You could cover small piece of model with matt coat and check if it's going to do any difference.

Beautifull work! 

I wonder why you decided to use US colours over the other SMT colours provided by Mr.Paint? I know colours are a difficult thing to discuss, but wanted to know your view about them. I don't know to much about Mr.P but they surely do look like a very interresting range of paint. I bought the 2 colours for my MiG-29S 9-13 just to try them but didn't have a chance to spray them yet. So just curious 😉