Kinetic F-104. whats the verdict?

since they haven't shown up in my LHS yet, I am curious how the kit is. it looks good on the sprues, but has anyone actually started building one?

I did a quick google search and wasn't able to find anything.

1 hour ago, dylan said:

thanks Brad.

I have seen the finished builds on the kinetic group.

I am hoping to get an unbiased review from a regular modeler that shows any flaws or ill fitting parts.

Brett Green over on hyperscale did a review, if you are interested. 

2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

No idea what the “letdown with the pubs” means.  If that’s referring to the instructions, that seems unusually harsh to drive the overall “value” of the kit down to a 7 out of 10, considering the high scores in fit, engineering, detail, etc, plus he already gave it a 7 in the first ranking of packaging/decals/pubs .  It almost seems a made up score to ensure that the kit doesn’t quite get an “A”.  Also, unless my math is wrong, 43+ 44 = 87, not 89.

Edited by Dave Williams
2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

thanks for that Craig.
the main reason I was asking is because my local hobby shop owner was saying that the reviews were not so good. maybe he thought I was asking about the AMK tomcat?

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

No idea what the “letdown with the pubs” means.  If that’s referring to the instructions, that seems unusually harsh to drive the overall “value” of the kit down to a 7 out of 10, 

In reading his post it sounds like he’s downvoting the instructions because they didn’t take his advice about how he thought they should improve them. 

7 hours ago, dylan said:

since they haven't shown up in my LHS yet, I am curious how the kit is. it looks good on the sprues, but has anyone actually started building one?

I did a quick google search and wasn't able to find anything.

There's a build review going on right now over at cyberhobby.

I did notice in pictures that the front  of the windscreen does not fit flush with the fuselage, and that is noticed on more than one build. If I recall correctly it was brought up and Raymond stated that was a mould issue and would be corrected. But I feel it still exists. You can see it in the last picture of the OP link I posted.

Edited by Craig Baldwin
spelling
6 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

Already arrived. Checkout your retailer shop

I asked at the 2 local shops here in Vancouver, neither has heard anything. you might have to light a fire under the sales rep.

Edited by dylan
2 minutes ago, dylan said:

I asked at the 2 local shops here in Vancouver, neither has heard anything. you might have to light a fire under the sales rep.

Yes it is the problem if the distribution in North America. 

The dealer is not pro actively check for customer need so the business is stolen by online seller. 

I have forward the request to NA staff and come back to you. 

Something to improve in the next production lots (and in general):

The instruction sheet is not prone to save from construction mistakes. Just checked an online build on another site an noticed # B 74 (center longitudinal strut in ldggr bay) turned bottom to top. How to save?? Some suggestions:

no single constr. step with more than 5 parts.

claryfied and bigger advice drawings

inclusion of photos

use of color

A great kit! Available in Europe since appr. 10 days.

Andreas Beck

5 hours ago, Andreas Beck said:

Something to improve in the next production lots (and in general):

The instruction sheet is not prone to save from construction mistakes. Just checked an online build on another site an noticed # B 74 (center longitudinal strut in ldggr bay) turned bottom to top. How to save?? Some suggestions:

no single constr. step with more than 5 parts.

claryfied and bigger advice drawings

inclusion of photos

use of color

A great kit! Available in Europe since appr. 10 days.

Andreas Beck

I agree wholeheartedly with this advice. One thing for certain, in any step, there should never be any questions as to where a part goes and how it fits. This has been a problem with past instructions where it was impossible to determine how certain parts were to fit together. As Andreas stated, inclusion of photos and larger drawings that use color to highlight parts are very good advice.

On 9/28/2019 at 4:40 PM, Raymond Chung said:

Noted we will have a new method to solve this problem. 

And please, is it so difficult for you, in the case your technology doesn't allow to engrave instrument faces, to add at least a good instrument decal sheet ...

This seems to be the weakest point of this very beautiful and good kit!
Of course this also applies to your other models.
Madcop 😉

45 minutes ago, madcop said:

And please, is it so difficult for you, in the case your technology doesn't allow to engrave instrument faces, to add at least a good instrument decal sheet ...

This seems to be the weakest point of this very beautiful and good kit!
Of course this also applies to your other models.
Madcop 😉

I simply forgot to mention this important issue!
My suggestion:
Make an own Kinetic aftermarket decal which is a lot of design work (Silvain will be happy to this ??!!) of cockpit interiors with a street price of round about USD 20. It should contain the best selling products, each doubled:
Mirage III series
Mirage 2000 series
Harrier series
AMX series
Super Etendard
Starfighter series
F/A-18 series
+ ??

Cheers
Andreas Beck