Welcome to the Showdown GB - The Rules

The concept for this group build is to have a showdown , a throwdown, deathmatch,  battle royale or whatever you want to call it between two or more kits of the same subject. Ideally, They would be considerably different in time between releases or different eras. In the past few years there have been many new kits released of subjects for which there is an existing, but much older kit.  The goal of this group build is to explore whether new is really better, and to compare & contrast the differences between the kits.

To maintain order there will need to be rules, here is what I propose:

Two or more kits shall be of the same subject, they may be of different scales.

The two kits can be of different variants but they must be of the same subject. So: 

F-14A vs F-14D - ok

F/A-18C vs F-18E super hornet no - it is a significantly different plane

This is open to all subjects. Aircraft, Automotive, Armor, Ships, Space, Sci - Fi 

Cars do not have to be the same year, but they need to be the same generation 

Ships should be the same subject, or members of the same class, but can be different refits

Construction is required on both kits, one should be a whole build, and the other can be from the shelf of doom, but should still require painting or some major step to finish. If the other kit is almost done, please provide a link to a build thread or summarize your experience with the build, with your impressions, any issues encountered, and what you did to overcome said issues.

One other thing, I want to keep this a fun, and positive group build. Please use the proper name for companies. I would prefer to not see things like "flea-bay" "HobbyCrap" "tamigawa" , et cetera.

Since this GB involves the construction of two models, this GB runs for 1 year. Start date is 10/1/19; End date is 10/1/20

Edited by Kurt H.
  • Kurt H. unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Kurt H. featured this topic
40 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

What’s the rule on aftermarket?  To get a true comparison, I assume it’s no aftermarket, except maybe decals?

Any amount of after market is ok. However you should still compare the kit parts. For example, if you choose to use a resin cockpit, compare the kit cockpits, and then even show the aftermarket cockpit, and explain why it is better.  So yes, Aftermarket is ok, just as long as you document the kit parts.

The way I see it, we can only build so many models, so there is no sense in compromising simply because it is part of a GB.