What are you going to build?

I'll start with one that will mesh with my personal WWI Theme Build-Eduard vs. DML Fokker Dr.I, in 1/48:

DSC00214arc.jpg

I've already built the DML kit in Josef Jacobs markings so there'll be no surprises there. It was a sweetheart of a build. Not sure yet what I'll go with for markings on that kit but the Eduard kit will be the Richthofen plane before the markings change, as the iron crosses just looked cooler :thumbsup:

You'll note the Weekend Edition F.I peeking out of the bottom of the pile. I'll be building that one at the same time but it won't be part of this group build-these are all the Fokker triplanes in the stash so I'm building them all at once. That one will be the last ride of Werner Voss, a build I've wanted to do and fortunately it's one of the decal options.

Ken

You guys were not kidding about your enthusiasm for this GB.   Three entries within an hour

I have several Ideas in mind for this. I have so many models I want to build, but only so much time. So, no time like the present to bravely forge ahead..

The idea which started this whole thing.. a Voodoo rumble ... Kitty Hawk vs Monogram

20190927_000332sm-vi.jpg

This rumble pits the new KittyHawk F-101B vs. The Monogram RF-101B

The KittyHawk kit was released in 2018, and the family tree for this kit starts with the 2014 release of the KittyHawk F-101A/C.  The monogram RF-101B was released one time in 1986, and is based on the monogram F-101B, which debuted in  1985.

The Kittyhawk kit has the parts and decals to build an RF-101B, so I will build it as an RF-101B.  I plan to build these both Out of the box, with the possible addition of a Brass pitot tube for each of them.

I also have a desire to build Mustangs

20190927_000449sm-vi.jpg

This showdown, a Mustang Melee pits the Monogram 1/48 P-51B against the Tamiya 1/48 P-51B. The Monogram kit was initially released in 1967. It may be from the 60s, but looking at the parts, this must have been among the best kits available at the time. In many ways, It is up to the standards of details of the 80s. This particular kit appears to be from 1973.  The Tamiya kit was introduced in 1995. Even after 24 years, this kit is likely the best kit in any scale of the P-51B. How does it compare to a kit released nearly 30 earlier? We shall see.  I plan to build these both out of the box, with the kit decals. 

I am uncertain which of these I will start first. Or maybe I can try to do both at the same time ... Am I crazy enough for such an undertaking? you will just have to see.....

Edited by Kurt H.

For my showdown, I'll be pitting the Monogram 1/48 ProModeler P-39Q, a kit from the original 1969 tooling against the Hasegawa 1/48 P-39N, a new tooled kit in 2006, making it the newest P-39 tool currently available in 1/48. Let's how much the kit has changed in 37 years! 

CovVhxT.jpg

Edited by bashace

Going to start with Academy vs Testors T-33 in 1/48. There will be more.

Those are done, now two Phantoms.

We will see about a couple Hornets then a couple Tomcats.

Edited by phantom

Hi,

Good that we got this one running. Well done, Kurt.

I want to build some Mustangs: the new Eduard kit vs the Tamiya kit.

Then I thought about what I really want on the display shelf. F-4's, of course. I'm going to attempt to build 4 1/48 F-4J's: the Monogram kit (VF-33), the Hasegawa kit (VF-31), the Academy kit (VF-74) and the Zoukei Moura kit (VF-92). 

Cheers, Stefan.

I have a few ideas brewing for this. 

I'm going to start with CAF and RAAF hornets. Kinetic (48) kit for one, and either Hobbyboss (48th) or Academy (72nd) for the other. 

Afterwards, if time allows; I'm thinking Monogram vs. Kittyhawk Kingfishers or Revell vs. Airfix Lancasters

4 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

I'll jump in with two different 1/72 scale kits of the F-85 Goblin, the MPM kit and the 12 Squared kit.

Ed

Very cool choice. I know the MPM kit, but 12 Squared? Is that a new one?

I think I'm going to have to jump in on this one.

I'll got for a pair of Bf109G's in 1/48, one Fujimi with plastic dating to 1972 (their Bf109G-K kit) and the Eduard kit, in the Limited Edition 'Mersu' boxing.

I'll be using the Eduard decals for both (and saving the best scheme for a Tamiya build 😉 )

1 hour ago, mawz said:

I think I'm going to have to jump in on this one.

I'll got for a pair of Bf109G's in 1/48, one Fujimi with plastic dating to 1972 (their Bf109G-K kit) and the Eduard kit, in the Limited Edition 'Mersu' boxing.

I'll be using the Eduard decals for both (and saving the best scheme for a Tamiya build 😉 )

If you want to add a Revell late 109G to that mix, I'd be happy to donate the kit to you.

On 9/27/2019 at 6:42 AM, bashace said:

For my showdown, I'll be pitting the Monogram 1/48 ProModeler P-39Q, a kit from the original 1969 tooling against the Hasegawa 1/48 P-39N, a new tooled kit in 2006, making it the newest P-39 tool currently available in 1/48. Let's how much the kit has changed in 37 years! 

CovVhxT.jpg

Niiiiice!

I really really like the monogram cobra. I had a ton of fun building mine and I hope you enjoy yours too. I don't know the Hasegawa kit, so I'm looking forward to seeing it as well

On 9/27/2019 at 1:27 AM, Kurt H. said:

20190927_000332sm-vi.jpg

20190927_000449sm-vi.jpg

Four really good choices, Kurt.

I've heard the kittyhawk kit poopooed before, but im very curious to see what you can do with it. I love the voodoo. The monogram kit is a really good one. Probably the best of their century series.

And mustangs always look cool!

Bring it!

Edited by RKic

3 hours ago, RKic said:

Four really good choices, Kurt.

I've heard the kittyhawk kit poopooed before, but im very curious to see what you can do with it. I love the voodoo. The monogram kit is a really good one. Probably the best of their century series.

And mustangs always look cool!

Bring it!

Yeah, I have heard a lot about KittyHawk, much of it negative. I will judge for myself. A quick look in the box shows lots of open access panels, and a complicated parts breakdown.  I have built the Monogram kit before, I built the original issue of the F-101B in 1999ish. I just remember having a lot of trouble with the seam on the top of the fuselage. My skills have advanced since then, so hopefully  it will be easier this time. 

I have built the monogram mustang before, back in 2000 or so, and I do not remember too much from the build, so presumably it was uneventful. I have actually never finished a Tamiya aircraft kit. I started a 1/72 F-84G when the kit came out but never finished it.  

If I can finish The Voodoo Vindication, and the Mustang Melee, I have more ideas, and kits...

The Modern Mustang Massacre ...

20190930_012728sm-vi.jpg

Eduard vs. Tamiya vs. Hasegawa ... Eduard is the newest, latest and greatest, The Tamiya kit is 24 years old, but until recently generally considered the  best 1/48th Mustang, and The Hasegawa kit, which probably was the best until the Tamiya kit was released. Tamiya and Hasegawa might be old in years, but they are modern kits. Kind of weird  to consider kits of the 90s  old, but the calendar does not lie.  Is new really better? Has Eastern Europe become the leader in plastic models? We shall see....

And I have also started to appreciate 1/72 props. I do not know why, I just like them. So, I think a Small Spitfire Scuffle would be fun

20190930_012836sm-vi.jpg

This will feature the Eduard Spitfire mk XVI vs the Sword mk XIV vs the Tamiya mk I ... 

The Eduard kit is  from 2016, the  Sword kit is from 2016,  and tamiya from 2000. All modern kits, so I envision a tough battle.

So I may not get to all of these. I may not do them in order.  It might even give someone else an idea.  So many worthy kits, so little time. 

Edited by Kurt H.
9 hours ago, RKic said:

Very cool choice. I know the MPM kit, but 12 Squared? Is that a new one?

12 squared is a name I have not heard in a very long time. Scalemates shows the kit is from 1990, and the last I remember hearing about 12 squared was reading about new releases in Fine Scale Modeler back in the 90s. So it will be old vs. Old .. limited run vs limited run, surely a tough battle between two tough kits. But a unique subject and a great showdown. 👍

Edited by Kurt H.
12 hours ago, RKic said:

If you want to add a Revell late 109G to that mix, I'd be happy to donate the kit to you.

Hmm, definitely could turn this into a multi 109G/K build, I've got the Hasegawa K in the stash right now and was planning on getting a Tamiya soonest.

Makes me wonder what other G/K's are easily available. HB has an Easy kit and Academy is still popping the HC plastic... I know Otaki did one, and Fujimi's other tooling is out there too. I wonder how many 1/48 Gustav's I could build in 1 year?

I appreciate the offer on the Monogram kit, let me get back to you on that as if my LHS has any it will be a lot less hassle for either of us than cross-border shipping 

My F-5s are about ready for paint so I'm starting to think about my next entry and I'm really on the fence. Scooter Scuffle? Intruder Insurgency? Phantom Phite? Eagle Entanglement? Super Hornet Hoedown? Bronco Bout? Choices, choices!

6 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

My F-5s are about ready for paint so I'm starting to think about my next entry and I'm really on the fence. Scooter Scuffle? Intruder Insurgency? Phantom Phite? Eagle Entanglement? Super Hornet Hoedown? Bronco Bout? Choices, choices!

All good choices. Maybe all?