• 4 weeks later...

Right, On the Left. Testors 1/48 Silver (Shooting) Star.  On the right, Hobby craft / Academy Silver Star.

The Testors received Belcher Bits decals while the Academy/Hobby Craft got Canucks decals.

8c3qKg1.jpg

unI8aI4.jpg

tJEmCm0.jpg

The old Testors looks good shape wise, but the newer Academy ? Hobby Craft has far superior, landing gear, cockpit, flaps, wheel wells. The newer kit wins hand down.

• 4 weeks later...

The Mustang rodeo is complete, the Eduard and Tamiya kits are both good.  The Tamiya kit is what you would expect from a Tamiya kit about 20 years ago.   The fit is great, the detail is lacking in some areas especially the cockpit.  I didn't use many decals on it, instead painting the markings.   

The Eduard kit is a little more challenging to build just because it has more parts and there are a couple areas the fit wasn't great.   The detail is fantastic though, the wheel well really stands out as an area where Eduard set the bar.   The decals are really good too.    

For simplicity and if you aren't too worried about the cockpit or wheel wells the Tamiya kit is great.  For a kit with a lot of options and really nice out of the box detail the Eduard one is better. 

pUFeSji.jpg

HJeuZ7q.jpg

31S9JaS.jpg

Here are my completed Bearcats.  Both are good kits and I enjoyed building them.  Probably won't get to the next round of kits for a while with all the rush of the holidays. 

ysL9zbP.jpg?1

8P3srCf.jpg

Geoff out!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1/48 Boulton Paul Defiants, Mk.I: Airfix vs. Classic Airframes 2.0. The Airfix kit was built as a day fighter, the C.A. kit as a nightfighter. Both builds represent aircraft of 264 Squadron, a unit that flew the Defiant in the thick of the action in 1940 including Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain:

DSC00929a.jpg

Paints used on the Airfix kit was mostly Humbrol with some WEM/Colourcoats, particularly as camouflage. Decals are Airfix, the box art plane:

DSC00877.jpg

DSC00878.jpg

DSC00881.jpg

DSC00882.jpg

The Classic Airframes kit was painted with a Model Master mix of Flat Black with a dash of Neutral Gray to soften it up. Decals are Print Scale:

DSC00931.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

I haven't seen the original Classic Airframes release of the Defiant but from my experiences with those older C.A. kits I'm sure this is a significant improvement over the old one. However, the Airfix kit buries this one. While the C.A. kit still builds as a limited edition molding I found the new Airfix kit to be comparable to anything Hasegawa puts out. The only issue with the Airfix kit was an instrument panel that was quite a bit too wide to fit in the fuselage but sanding the edges of the panel down makes it fit nicely without losing any detail. The C.A. kit is ripe with fit issues (most annoying was the landing light assemblies) and just isn't as crisp as the Airfix kit.

If you're planning a Defiant in your display one day go with the Airfix kit. If you already have the C.A. kit in the stash, buy the Airfix kit-it's quite affordable and worth the money spent. The Classic Airframes filled the bill back in the day, but that day has passed.

Next up: Hurricanes! These builds touched off a personal theme build of Battle of Britain aircraft and I've already started an Airfix Hurricane as well as a Pro Modeler JU-88A conversion with MDC resin and Techmod decals.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

124 is Italeri, 211 is Zvezda, 232 is Dragon, and the unmarked one is Trumpeter. The most fun to build was Italeri. It is the simplest and goes teogether well and I really enjoyed modifying it and scratchbuilding with it. The overall best one is easily the Zvezda kit. It has the most detail and the best tracks I have ever seen in 1/72. The Dragon is the only one that out of the box can build either model of the tank, but it is very complicated and you need to figure out a lot of it yourself. The Trumpeter is the only one that lets you leave the armor plate off of the cannon and it was simple to build, except for the separate tracks which made me hate it with every fiber of my being. If you don't mind supergluing rubber band tracks that come with the kit, then I recommend the Trumpeter over the Dragon.

ACtC-3eDaWbG2tJrGSLAxAd85LzXh1E1BLmROLsF

ACtC-3eeXjSPbn-18_0IJBiXPqY5at2vVcPT4vz5

ACtC-3fhp3VGjrbZ9wJ5mmJVI-eYB_YGq6Cs92QO

ACtC-3eDctkbifXuUmV1IQazWODeQ5FFd_JqfMiF

I declared "Voodoo Vindication" a tie. The paint job on the Kitty hawk kit came out a little better in my opinion. These are both great looking models. There are some issues with the landing gear from my fumbling so they are not up to competition standards, but they are both great looking models I am proud to have on the shelf

Monogram:

2v2HCb8tWx9awpY.jpg

2v2HCb87nx9awpY.jpg

Kitty Hawk:

2v2HCb86Nx9awpY.jpg

2v2HCb87nx9awpY.jpg

2v2HCb8DNx9awpY.jpg

together:

2v2HCb8qqx9awpY.jpg