AFV Club and Monogram F-5 Adversaries

I cleaned up a few things on the Monogram kit and laid down the base coat (36320). I'm using Model Master paints on this one thinned 50/50 with Mr. Levelling Thinner. I got the Aero Masks set for the jagged camouflage pattern so getting those masks down will be next after I let the paint dry.

The AFV Club kit got it's vertical stabilizer painted white. This kit is painted with MRP. 

InVjYXl.jpg

It looks like that mask set saved a lot of time and effort, that camo pattern would be maddening to mask with pieces of tape. The model looks very good. 

Thanks! Yeah, that mask set was a lifesaver. I wouldn't have had the patience to mask that out with tape.

I masked and painted the wheel wells, air brake bays, and landing gear as well as the NMF rear area. More to follow...

The Monogram wheels are in top; AFV below. Monogram's still look pretty decent all painted up but AFV's have the same crisp detail here that is seen throughout this kit.

IO8iCDq.jpg

aVKRG7k.jpg

h9wJufK.jpg

I had a little bit of a setback last night when I tried to start decals on the F-5N. Not only are are AFV Club's decals garbage, but the focal point tail markings don't fit. I ordered a set from Two Bobs with the same aircraft so I'll have to wait on those. I can keep working on the F-5F though.

MtHxgZj.jpg

Edited by picknpluck

would it alter the design too much if you trimmed the excess?

Aftermarket decals are always better any way, but a slightly large decal seems better than one which is too small. 

Trimming the decal would've messed up the positioning of the modex # on the he tail as well as a series of small horizontal stripes on the upper trailing edge of the tail. The decal quality isn't good in addition to not fitting; I have aftermarket replacements on the way. All good!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job painting the tail. What happened with the replacement decals? I  have done things like this too, mess up buy something else, which does not work either, then go with yet another plan. The worst part is the lost time.

The models look great, and you are in the home stretch. 👍

7 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Nice job painting the tail. What happened with the replacement decals? I  have done things like this too, mess up buy something else, which does not work either, then go with yet another plan. The worst part is the lost time.

The models look great, and you are in the home stretch. 👍

I did this while waiting for the TwoBobs sheet to arrive in the mail. Of course, when the sheet arrived, the sundown motif is slightly different as the decals represent this airframe at a different timeframe.