This will be a head to head showdown between the original and latest tool P-39 Airacobra's. I have a funny feeling an Eduard P-39 might want a piece of the action too! The plan is to construct the builds step by step simultaneously, showing the comparisons as the build progresses. Kits will be built OOB utilizing the supplied decals.

*** UPDATE! *** It has been confirmed, the Eduard P-39 will be joining the bout!

eV5ccWJ.jpg

Edited by bashace
Updated content
55 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

Nice! Who's plastic is the Pro-Modeler kit?

As far as I know, it's Monogram plastic, I know the first Hasegawa P-39 offering was the same plastic until they tooled their own in 2006.

3 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

This has the makings of an interesting showdown... New versus old, Japanese wonder kit vs. the old monogram kit ....  I have never seen either of these in real life, so I look forward to lots of pictures and analysis.

I also have the original 1969 release kit as well as the first new tool Eduard release for additional comparisons. 

1 minute ago, bashace said:

I also have the original 1969 release kit as well as the first new tool Eduard release for additional comparisons. 

If you have the ambition a 3 way smack down is even better. you can even perform an analysis of how the Monogram tool has held up over time.

11 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

If you have the ambition a 3 way smack down is even better. you can even perform an analysis of how the Monogram tool has held up over time.

Those are my thoughts as well, my track record for finishing builds during GB's is atrocious....but I do have a year😁

To fact check the original 1969 Monogram 1/48 tooling with the 1995 Pro-Modeler 1/48 Release, these are pics comparing the two side by side. The Pro-Modeler offering included a new sprue that included wing cannons and ground crew, the gray plastic looks and feels almost identical to Hasegawa plastic, not the somewhat harder and crisper plastic in the original release from 1969. 

Per the instruction sheet and a little online research, the following options can be built from the Pro-Modeler kit:

- British Airacobra 1, P-400, P-39D1, P-39D2, P-39L1, and P-39Q

- Detailed nose guns

- Open/closed Engine Bay

- Early version nose gun detail only, no vents!

- Choice of 6-stack or 12-stack exhaust manifolds

- Right door can be positioned open

- Choice of weighted or non-weighted tires

- Smooth Style wheel rims

- Choice of centerline drop tank or 500lb bomb (doesn't help the tail sitting😂)

- Underwing gun pods

- 3-blade propeller only

eHXUluc.jpg

O622aOh.jpg

Edited by bashace
Added details

With an age of 26 years at time of Pro-Modeler release, I would say the molds had held up pretty good, the only noticeable excess flash was on the nose gear strut. The Pro-Modeler extension strut appears to be short shot, it doesn't connect to the nose gear strut, this will have to be addressed during construction.

***Correction*** The nose gear strut of the Pro-Modeler kit was not short shot, one of the changes incorporated was a separate gear extension link which is included on the added sprue.

YI9jgnM.jpg

Edited by bashace
Correction added

Calling the first cockpit done, the gun assembly was a little confusing until I looked at the finished assembly pic on the side of the box. Really tried to not AMS over the details, just a little a little pigment brushing and different hues of black. Decided to not use the included PE seat belts since the seat incorporated molded in belts.

p7dLiEi.jpg

q4ZdEuD.jpg

I like what you did with this cockpit, nice chipping, shadows, and highlights.

Thanks Kurt, really not my expertise, trying to keep it as simple as possible to show what basic modeling skills can do with these kits.

Here's a study of all 3 kit cockpits in their final assembly stage, black cockpit is the Pro-Modeler, green cockpit without forward weight is Hasegawa, and olive plastic with green cockpit and forward weight is Eduard.

i3KymoW.jpg

ldvu1wZ.jpg

Edited by bashace
Correction

Oh no! my post was lost in the great post lost incident of October 2019!

I said something like ... 

An interesting contrast in the directions from each manufacturer. Sticking to the instructions here is a great way to illustrate the differences in the kits.

• 1 month later...

Updates will be slow for now, packed everything for the move back to the USA, of course I will mail GB project stuff via USPS so I don't have to wait 2+ months for the surface shipment😀

5 hours ago, bashace said:

Updates will be slow for now, packed everything for the move back to the USA, of course I will mail GB project stuff via USPS so I don't have to wait 2+ months for the surface shipment😀

Good luck with your move. Good call mailing the P-39s.