On 11/2/2019 at 4:56 PM, southwestforests said:

Been a long time since I've looked at WW2 fighter info & I am thinking didn't the USAAC take custody of some Aircobras which ended up not being shipped to foreign forces? If so could that explain at least one of the different cockpit hues? 

That is true, but they were designated as P-400's in US service (these were RAF ordered aircraft with 20mm cannon in the nose rather than the larger cannon the US used). They served in Guadalcanal and wore an RAF scheme with US markings.

As it happens, I have a Eduard P-400 on the go right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Easing back into the foray, here we have the Monogram P-39 getting exhaust port treatment before the manifold is installed. The fuselage buttoned up fairly easily, the dorsal air scoop will require a little cleanup work, but nothing major.

0IqyUDw.jpg

At the point where it's time to install the wings, good place to stop and catch the next kit up to this point. The Monogram kit definitely has more to do before the wing goes on than the other two kits due to the engine exhaust on one side being installed through the inside of the fuselage before wing installation. Depending on how you want to paint the exhaust area, one could just install it and paint later, I chose the hard way of course. Also, it was easier to paint the exposed engine bay without the wing getting in the way.

CuOHOw1.jpg

PFqPPSj.jpg

The Hasegawa kit is ready for wings, fit was quite good as expected with Hasegawa engineering, no issues noted. Don't forget to drill out the four little holes in the nose! The little hatch on the nose is a nice touch for adding final nose weight before buttoning it up.

nfBzf2C.jpg

• 2 months later...

I haven't had as much down time as many during the Covid Pandemic, but some progress has been made, the Monogram and Hasegawa kits had minimal putty issues to deal with, the Eduard kit is another story, got some serious wing gaps to fill! The Monogram and Hasegawa planes are currently sitting in black base waiting for the next step in painting, they look like a couple of stealth aircraft...lol!

SX3qONw.jpg

Very nice. I'm rooting for the Monogram kit. I've built that Pro-Modeler version before and have a second one I've started in my stash. I love how well it fits and goes together. Hard to believe it's from the 60's.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...