F-4D 906 TFG Rhino Rhumble!!

The Show-Down:

I’ll be putting the 80’s Hasegawa F-4C/D up against the Academy ROKAF F-4D. I will be using the Speed Hunter Graphics “Wright Flyers” decal sheet to depict two different paint schemes from the 906 TFG at Wright Patterson AFB.

The Plan:

My initial thought is to do the Hasegawa kit in the Euro 1 scheme, as it didn’t show much panel line detail. The Academy kit will wear the final Hill scheme, probably the 30th Anniversary jet. I’m also contemplating doing the Academy kit in an “In Flight” configuration to avoid the interesting engineering on the main wheel bays. This could all change once we get to building, but you have to start somewhere.

The Aftermarket:

I will be using the above mentioned Speed Hunter decal sheet, and True Details resin ejection seats on both kits. Almost all of my reference materials show these jets with travel pods, so I will use the resin Eduard BLU-27 on both as well. The Hasegawa kit will probably get FOD cover from somewhere.

The “For Reference”

I built the Hasegawa kit once when I was a kid in the mid 80’s, after saving my allowance FOREVER and buying it at my local hobby-train store. I have never built the Academy kit but have read reviews online. I have done one F-16 from the Speed Hunter sheet, and it was outstanding.

The Reality:

I have two partially completed kits in the queue already, so my start time will be after the Holidays. I want to use this thread as a place holder, and to hold me to doing the builds. I will need to do parallel builds as much as possible, as my workspace is in my attached garage and it’s too hot to do much in the summer. I’m going to try to knock this out Jan-May 2020.

P3xVMEZ.jpg

Edited by Bill Staudt
  • 2 weeks later...

I have done Hasegawa and ZM kits from the 906th, 66-554 .  Hasegawa in Euro 1 and ZM in Hill Gray.  An F-16 too.  I was stationed at Wright Patt back in the 80's  and saw their planes all the time.  Good luck with your builds.

Geoff M

• 7 months later...

I'll have to bow out of this group build. I completely lost interest in building the Academy Phantom and sent it to eBay. I did pick up an old Monogram kit to build with the Hasegawa, but that's not a very good "Showdown" as they're both quite old and very similar. 

HskriZd.jpg

Edited by Bill Staudt

Hi,

Nice Phantoms! Sorry to hear that the Academy kit was so uninspiring for you.

I have continued work on my 4 F-4J's, although I haven't posted anything. The fuselage is closed on the Hasegawa one now.  

After an attempt to paint the instruments, I switched to the Furball Decals cockpit set.

Cheers, Stefan.

Sorry it did not work out. I have an Academy F-4B on the shelf of doom, It is a nice kit, I will get back around to it, but right now there are "too many mouths to feed" between this showdown, and group builds I am in in other places, I just can not juggle so many projects.

the Monogram kit came out very nice.