Tornado Gr.4 vs. IDS gear covers and wheel wells - where they the same?

Hi everyone,

just wanted to know if the wheel wells and the well/gear covers where the same on the Gr.4 and the IDS models?  I’m getting ready to try my hand at a 1/48 Revell Gr.4 with all the bells and whistles but Aires seems to only have wheel wells and covers for the IDS version.  

Any help with info on this would be really appreciated!

2 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

No, they didn't. All Tonka versions still share exactly the same airframe.

The F.3/ADV is substantially different from the IDS and ECR, with changes to the wing gloves, flap system, a 1.36m stretch, longer airbrakes and different engines with longer afterburners. only the centre fuselage section remains unchanged.

The IDS, GR1/4/4a and ECR are the same basic airframe though

Edited by mawz
15 minutes ago, galileo1 said:

Thank you all very much!! I asked because I read somewhere that the IDS version had a shorter airframe than the Gr.4.  I’m glad the share the same airframe.

Somebody clearly had the F.3 and GR.4 mixed up. The GR4 IS an IDS, the F.3 is the main production ADV variant and had the longer airframe.

19 minutes ago, mawz said:

Somebody clearly had the F.3 and GR.4 mixed up. The GR4 IS an IDS, the F.3 is the main production ADV variant and had the longer airframe.

Yes.  I just read the very same thing.  Clearly the info wasn’t correct.  I’m trying to get the IDS, ADV, etc roles straight...lol.

thank you for the invaluable help!

As far as I've ever read, the GR4 program addressed sensors and electronics only, with all physical changes being to support sensor & computer upgrades.

The Mk10A was retained on all Tornado variants as far as I'm aware.

As to variants, there's really only 3.

The IDS is the main variant, this is the strike version operated by all the Tornado operators. These were GR.1, GR1a and GR1b's in RAF service. The Tornado GR1 Mid-life update program produced the GR4 and GR4a versions. in RAF service the A suffix denotes Recce-equipped units and the B denotes Maritime Strike units with software changes for Anti-shipping use, note there were no GR.4B's.

The ECR is an IDS fitted with specific gear for SEAD operations. The Luftwaffe ECR's were purpose built and dual-role recce and SEAD, the Italian ones were converted IDS's without Recce capability

The ADV is a significantly different variant of the airframe intended for the Interceptor role to replace the RAF's F-4 fleet with an aircraft better suited to the role (largely by doubling the range & loiter time). It was based on the same basic airframe, but with heavy modifications and pretty much all-new electronics and different engines. A few RAF ADV's were modified for SEAD as the Tornado EF.3. It was designed solely for the RAF, but was also used by the RSAF (who hated it and converted most of their orders for the ADV to IDS orders based on their initial experience) and the Italians (who leased RAF units for 10 years and replaced them with leased F-16's largely for cost reasons)

12 hours ago, mawz said:

with changes to the wing gloves, flap system, a 1.36m stretch, longer airbrakes and different engines with longer afterburners. only the centre fuselage section remains unchanged.

I was referring to the airframe with regard to the nose and main wheel wells, which was my reply to what achterkirch asked...