1/48 Eduard P-51D “Miss Steve”

Model: 1/48 Eduard P-51D-5 kit #11134

Accessories: Barracudacals P-51 Cockpit placards, Eduard Brassin exhausts, wheels, 250lb US bombs, and Eduard LÖÖK instrument panel.

P-51D-5 s/n 44-13677, flown by Lt.William G. Cullerton, 357th FS, 355th FG, 8th AF, Steeple Morden, United Kingdom, 1944

Part 1

pihV1kV.jpg

DP8ZFJD.jpg

nnZginD.jpg

BcIdc8Y.jpg

5qeAbRC.jpg

VImu8eQ.jpg

pH9EcY1.jpg

XfwX0es.jpg

7w3zrHF.jpg

SSYyxnf.jpg

tFLB8P5.jpg

CaxAC7p.jpg

Edited by Falconxlvi
Text
27 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Excellent! This just may be the wunderkit I've been waiting for to build the specific P-51 I fell in love with 20 years ago!

Sure does look great Steve.

Thanks Whiskey- it is well worth the value of what’s in the box.  The detail and fit is excellent and there are a ton of options in the box- propellers, canopies, radios and associated equipment, plus bombs, rockets, bazookas!  The stencils and placards included in the box are also first rate.  I think this takes the cake for 1/48 P-51s easily.  I have built the Revell, Tamiya, and Meng kits and have had a close look at the Airfix sprues.   This one is the best and really only lets down on the top of the cowl where you have to add the Dzus fasteners which are absent.   

Build one!

Edited by Falconxlvi

As the fellows across the pond would say, "NOICE"!  I like the subtle weathering and the 'oxidized' look of the metal finish, which I find more realistic that the chrome-mirror finish some modellers portray. Did you use Model Master enamel for the interior green?

1 hour ago, nachjager said:

As the fellows across the pond would say, "NOICE"!  I like the subtle weathering and the 'oxidized' look of the metal finish, which I find more realistic that the chrome-mirror finish some modellers portray. Did you use Model Master enamel for the interior green?

Thanks!  I used Mission Models US Interior Green - I think it’s a great interpretation.  I’m glad you like the metal finish as well.  I used burnt sienna oil paint as a filter on some of the panels.  

1 hour ago, a4s4eva said:

Nice work Steve

Thank you 🙏🏻 

Edited by Falconxlvi
40 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

Thanks!  I used Mission Models US Interior Green - I think it’s a great interpretation.  I’m glad you like the metal finish as well.  I used burnt sienna oil paint as a filter on some of the panels.  

Thank you 🙏🏻 

Great, thanks for answering my question.  I agree, MM Int. Green looks spot on, in fact, I am using it to paint the cockpit and interior parts on a Hasegawa P-38. The only change I made was to thin it with Future and a few drops of its proprietary thinning. makes the paint flow like butter and gives it a superb eggshell finish and makes, IMHO, more durable.

53 minutes ago, nachjager said:

Great, thanks for answering my question.  I agree, MM Int. Green looks spot on, in fact, I am using it to paint the cockpit and interior parts on a Hasegawa P-38. The only change I made was to thin it with Future and a few drops of its proprietary thinning. makes the paint flow like butter and gives it a superb eggshell finish and makes, IMHO, more durable.

Jon would freak if he knew you thinned it with future, lol, but I’m glad it works for you.  Out of curiosity, have you tired the poly additive?  It does the same thing you are describing but is made for MM paints. 

Steve

3 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Jon would freak if he knew you thinned it with future, lol, but I’m glad it works for you.  Out of curiosity, have you tired the poly additive?  It does the same thing you are describing but is made for MM paints. 

Steve

Yes, I have tried it but to be honest I haven't seen a huge difference in the final finish (it flows better thou).  Also my polly bottle is totaled, it went from a liquid state to a goopey gel.

52 minutes ago, nachjager said:

Yes, I have tried it but to be honest I haven't seen a huge difference in the final finish (it flows better thou).  Also my polly bottle is totaled, it went from a liquid state to a goopey gel.

Yea my poly did too after about 6 months. I think the storage of it really matters- Jon says to keep it away from daylight and I think that’s where I went wrong.  I ordered another bottle and it’s on it’s way.   

18 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Yea my poly did too after about 6 months. I think the storage of it really matters- Jon says to keep it away from daylight and I think that’s where I went wrong.  I ordered another bottle and it’s on it’s way.   

Ha, so it wasn't just my bottle of poly either! My local shop has been out of poly the last few times I've been in (plus a few other colors I wanted to pick up for my Corsair build). Good to know it's......normal?

Beautiful work on Miss Steve, I really like how it turned out and the mostly clean look. What's next on the bench?

2 hours ago, Brett M said:

Ha, so it wasn't just my bottle of poly either! My local shop has been out of poly the last few times I've been in (plus a few other colors I wanted to pick up for my Corsair build). Good to know it's......normal?

Beautiful work on Miss Steve, I really like how it turned out and the mostly clean look. What's next on the bench?

Thanks Brett!  I really enjoyed the build and tried to stay true to the references I had, which showed Miss Steve to be fairly lightly weathered, including the day she was shot down.  

m2oAIKY.jpg

oSO13Kp.jpg

As for the poly, yes, it’s apparently something that happens  if not stored correctly.  Jon has some good tidbits for using his paints on the website.  I’ve started following them pretty stringently, and have had good results.  I tend to thin the paint with one or two more drops then he recommends, but that’s about it.  Here is the link to the tips:

https://www.missionmodelsus.com/pages/tips-and-tricks-faq

Next up, it’s back to the 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1D Corsair, which I have an in-progress thread already started for.   👍🏻

42mB2RH.jpg

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
20 minutes ago, cruiz said:

Congratulations Steve

What a beautiful build you made, that's an excellent looking model even without considering how fast you completed it.

Carlos

Thanks Carlos.  I am excited to see your Corsair when it’s finished- it’s very inspiring! 

Steve

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, tourist said:

Wow,  I like everything about this build!

😀

😊. Thanks Tourist.  It was a fun build and I have the Eduard Royal Class boxing of the Mustang on the way- I am looking forward to building a VLR Mustang sometime next year!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Hey Steve, you posted one of the pictures of this build in one of my threads a few weeks ago, but I just found this thread!  Beautiful build and paint!!  I’ve been working on my own Eduard P-51, and I have a question. Looks like you have the landing lights present in the wheel wells, and I think they are a prominent feature on the P-51, but they aren’t (I don’t believe) included in the instructions or in the kit plastic.  I may be wrong, but if I’m not, can you tell me what parts they are, or if they are aftermarket, where you may have found them?  Thanks!

11 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hey Steve, you posted one of the pictures of this build in one of my threads a few weeks ago, but I just found this thread!  Beautiful build and paint!!  I’ve been working on my own Eduard P-51, and I have a question. Looks like you have the landing lights present in the wheel wells, and I think they are a prominent feature on the P-51, but they aren’t (I don’t believe) included in the instructions or in the kit plastic.  I may be wrong, but if I’m not, can you tell me what parts they are, or if they are aftermarket, where you may have found them?  Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by Curt!  On page 8 of the instructions (of the Chattanooga boxing) you will see part A6 installed in the gear well- that is your landing light 👍🏻👍🏻

Steve

15 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Thanks for stopping by Curt!  On page 8 of the instructions (of the Chattanooga boxing) you will see part A6 installed in the gear well- that is your landing light 👍🏻👍🏻

Steve

Perfect, Steve. Thank you!