Testors vs Academy CT-133 Silver Stars

I am going old school vs. way old school. At first I had planned a three way build including Hobby Craft. However the Hobby Craft IS the Academy. Or the other way around I guess. Just finished a couple Hobby Craft T-33s and was surprised the Academy IS THE EXACT same plastic. 

The Testors is older looking but comes with an engine and display stand. Both these models are going to get the same green and Grey paint scheme. Just one slightly older with a lighter grey under surface.

One model will receive Belcher Bits all black FIP markings. The other will get slightly older low vis Sym markings. This way we can see the differences (if any) on the completed models.

sxtyiUJ.jpg

Hopefully I can start Wednesday or maybe next Saturday.

A lot of HC plastic is now available in Academy boxes. See the 1/72 Sabre's for example

I believe Academy was doing most of the molding for Hobbycraft before they folded, and took ownership of the molds in lieu of payment.

2 hours ago, mawz said:

A lot of HC plastic is now available in Academy boxes. See the 1/72 Sabre's for example

I believe Academy was doing most of the molding for Hobbycraft before they folded, and took ownership of the molds in lieu of payment.

Academy f-86 is hobby craft? But they're so nice 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

At last I started. The Testors shall stay left, Hobby Craft to the right.

The Testors wll be using the kit supplied decals. Hopefully covering the giant divots in the instrument panel. The Hobby Craft will get painted dials on the nicely engraved panel. Both of course will be black so a photo before the paint.

The Testors is missing many parts. Both control sticks and one of the main wheels. Oh, and the tip tanks. Luckily I have another Testors kit in the stash so a parts source.

kFUgqXg.jpg

The Testors also comes with some blob pilots, which I think I might use.

Got a lot done today. The cockpit is IN the fuselage You can see the Testors has no detail for the gear bay. But it does have a crappy engine which is not correct for the Nene powered Canadian CT-133 Silver Star.

Therefore the fuselage shall be closed.

.g7uwmtW.jpg

The Testors also requires way more putty then the Academy/ Hobby craft build. I added the little air scoop on the nose from plastic strips to the Testors. (the white square)

7UoHTsO.jpg

Nothing on TV today.......so they are together. Something looks funky on the Testors, but really side by each they look very close. As long as you do not look at the bottom of the Testors. The landing gear, bays and doors are far superior on the Acaedemy/Hobby craft version.

BFa7Bug.jpg

The port forward bay door was missing from the Testors kit. So I had to break into the other kit again. That kit has donated A lot!!! Still needs to donate the tip tanks but that will be another day. Pilots look a tad thick. Perhaps they are just in winter flying kit! But they do cover up the weirdly shaped seats. That is another area the Acedemy /Hobby craft wins hands down.

Edited by phantom

All done. The Testors advantage, blobby pilots that cover up the awful ejection seats. Comes with an engine and stand that is not correct for a Canadian CT-133.No wheel wells shape is ok but thats about it. The Hobby Craft / Academy wins this contest hands down.

Much better cockpit, seats, landing gear, wheel wells and overall an easier build.

The decals, on the Testors, Belcher Bits. On the Academy Hobby- craft Canuck decals.

C9a0UlK.jpg

mQvktTt.jpgdbNWOFF.jpg

unI8aI4.jpg