First, the Revell-Monogram F-16.  I am not sure if this was originally the Monogram or Revell when the kit was originally released.  This is represents the Block 15 ADF version.

On the plus side, I like the attached main wings and the shape seems right.  On the downside, the cockpit has almost no detail with decals to represent the instruments.

Revell F-16.jpg

Comparison of Academy and Hasegawa cockpits.  The Academy consists of decals, which were very fragile ( the instrument panel part disintegrated.  The Hasegawa has raised details that paint-up nice and are reasonably close to a F-16 block 30.  Both seats are inferior to the Revell seat.

This is the Academy.

15B0BE20-0472-41C1-8A11-6A9F67DE3C30.jpeg

Edited by LALU38
  • 2 weeks later...

First, the Revell-Monogram F-16.  I am not sure if this was originally the Monogram or Revell when the kit was originally released. 

It is the Revell kit with added parts for the ADF. 

The Academy consists of decals, which were very fragile ( the instrument panel part disintegrated.  

The decals in the Academy kit (this release) are crap. Brittle, color bleeding, and the insignias and refueling markings are black not the various grays. They are only for the “C” tail, not the “A” tail. Suggest using the Hasegawa decals on the Academy kit. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Revell. On the plus side, I really like the molded wings, as both the Academy and Hasegawa had prominent seems to deal with.  It also has the correct slightly downward angle of the missile rails on the wingtips.  On the downside, it has a curious mix of raised and recessed panel lines.  Overall fit was not bad.

One difference of note among the three is that inside the main landing gear bay, the Revell has a “half hourglass” shape, whereas the other two get narrower front to back in a straight line. I’m not sure which is correct.

3DEB06EA-2A4E-4716-A631-B9516DA61D41.jpeg

12 hours ago, LALU38 said:

After preliminary painting. I used model master enamels, dk gray 36118, Lt gray 36375 and neutral gray for the radome.

F7D6428A-F2D2-4821-A95A-0002F4F64D16.jpeg

Can you identify the kits left to right in this pic?  I ask because the distance from the trailing edge of the wing to the leading edge of the stab looks smaller/shorter on the left kit.  Or is it just an illusion in the pic?

11 hours ago, habu2 said:

Can you identify the kits left to right in this pic?  I ask because the distance from the trailing edge of the wing to the leading edge of the stab looks smaller/shorter on the left kit.  Or is it just an illusion in the pic?

L-R . Revell, Academy and Hasegawa.  The distance difference is just an illusion of the pic, what you are seeing in the Revell is the ventral stabilizer beneath the starboard wing. Both the Revell and Hasegawa match up identical as far as size. 

The Academy seems just a tad smaller, like it is 1/49 or so instead of 1/48, not that you can tell from this pic.

UPDATE: Upon further review, the distance between the trailing edge of the wing and the front of the edge of the stab is 3/16 “ longer in the Hasegawa than in the Revell., or 9 scale inches (good eyes, Habu!) The Revell stabs are about the same amount larger than the Hasegawa.

Edited by LALU38