You guys want to see an unbelievable article??

The article actually mentioned nothing about how a B2 has more firepower than an entire aircraft carrier... anywhere... except for the headline.    

You can believe 100% of the article... as it is simply a description of a typical mission that has been written about ad nauseum.   Don't bother, though, because that site is terrible.  Go there and click on a bunch of stuff if you really want to infect your computer with a bunch of PUPs and malware. 

Edited by BaconRaygun

The B-2's book bombload is 40,000lbs, although estimates suggest that real world max is closer to 50,000lbs.

That's less than 3 Super Hornets worth of load, at 17,750lbs per Super Hornet.

However the B-2 is nuclear certified, and the only aircraft on carriers which are anymore are Legacy Hornets, so very technically a B-2 can carry more firepower than a typical carrier group deploys, simply because the Carrier group won't have B61's or B83's in inventory. The reality is that the Super Hornets are nuclear capable, but not certified as the surface fleet had lost that mission by the time the Super Hornet entered service. So in reality a Super Hornet could certainly deliver B61or B83 weapons and a full deck strike could deliver more of them than a B-2

41 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Even if that article were 100% factual the site itself is crap.

LOL...you guys are unbelievable. Yeah....the website was crap...but ya gotta admit that pic was awesome. Never seen a pic like that of B-2 armament. Live a little. It was good fodder for thought and it was a warplane for crying out loud. What's not to like?

17 hours ago, mawz said:

The B-2's book bombload is 40,000lbs, although estimates suggest that real world max is closer to 50,000lbs.

That's less than 3 Super Hornets worth of load, at 17,750lbs per Super Hornet.

LOL... Out of idle curiosity, when is the last time you saw a Super Hornet flying with 17, 750 lbs of ordinance?     If it did somehow manage to get off the ground, I'm assuming it's time aloft was measured in minutes. 

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

LOL... Out of idle curiosity, when is the last time you saw a Super Hornet flying with 17, 750 lbs of ordinance?     If it did somehow manage to get off the ground, I'm assuming it's time aloft was measured in minutes. 

This article documents an operational 16,750lb load used on a few Syrian strikes, albeit a good chunk of that is a full 480gal tank. Given the Super Hornet has a reasonable range on internal fuel (unlike its predecessor), there's no reason they wouldn't operate with 17,750lbs of weapons and no tank for closer-range strikes if required.  The Super Hornet is 32,000lbs empty, has a MTOW of 66,000lbs and carries 13,500lbs of internal fuel so ability to haul ordinance is hardly an issue for it. In fact, based on the math it's actually limited by pylons, not mass, when it comes to weapons configurations.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/11355/this-syria-bound-super-hornet-is-carrying-a-uniquely-massive-bomb-load

Yes, never before told details on a plane that’s over three decades old.........  

Again, clickbait article on a clickbait website. 

Edited by habu2

You know, you guys are really piling it on the guy who posted this. I know the article is basically clickbait but, Jeeesss, cut the poor guy some slack. We all have different levels of knowledge and expertise. He thought it was a cool article, its really just rehashed old info, 'nuff said?

I don’t think anyone is “piling it on “ the OP, most comments are critical of the article and the website itself. If you look around on nationalinterest you will see they will take article submissions from literally anyone, no qualifications required.  

20 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I don’t think anyone is “piling it on “ the OP, most comments are critical of the article and the website itself. If you look around on nationalinterest you will see they will take article submissions from literally anyone, no qualifications required.  

Oh, I agree about the website and the article. Just don't want pminer thinking that you're dissing him for posting the link to it.

8 hours ago, Mstor said:

You know, you guys are really piling it on the guy who posted this. I know the article is basically clickbait but, Jeeesss, cut the poor guy some slack. We all have different levels of knowledge and expertise. He thought it was a cool article, its really just rehashed old info, 'nuff said?

LOL....It's Ok. I thought it was awesome...despite the clickbait. And for ya'lls info....I'm an AF veteran. Worked on BUFFS and KC-135's. I'm a bomber freak. So pardon my enthusiasm.

Been in aviation a long time. Been in modeling all my life. Just wanted to share some cool stuff with you guys....clickbait and all...

If I ever meet you guys...I'll buy you a beer....or whatever....

18 minutes ago, pminer said:

LOL....It's Ok. I thought it was awesome...despite the clickbait. And for ya'lls info....I'm an AF veteran. Worked on BUFFS and KC-135's. I'm a bomber freak. So pardon my enthusiasm.

Been in aviation a long time. Been in modeling all my life. Just wanted to share some cool stuff with you guys....clickbait and all...

If I ever meet you guys...I'll buy you a beer....or whatever....

Good deal, all is cool then. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Good deal, all is cool then. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Ok...?? You guys could have been a little nicer....  It's only an airplane you know....

But thanks to Mstor! At least somebody loves me on this blog...LOL....

Edited by pminer