Isopropyl Alcohol to clean MRP Paint?

Hey All,

I've read in some places that isopropyl alcohol (IPA) can be used to clean an airbrush after shooting lacquer based MRP Mr. Paint.  I've tried a tiny experiment, and 91% IPA (the drugstore, cheap stuff) does seem to dissolve MRP, at least barely set MRP (after letting sit for 3-4 minutes after brush painting a small spot, for testing purposes).  Does anyone know if IPA REALLY cleans MRP, and would it be better to use the higher concentration IPA (97%, 99%, or 99.9%) to act as a post MRP airbrush cleaner?  Ideally, I'd like to hear from those who actually use IPA to clean their airbrushes with IPA, and how long have you let the paint 'cure' inside your airbrush before successfully using IPA to do that cleaning.  

If you've read many of my posts here on ArcAir, you'll be aware of my fanatic monomania with cleaning airbrushes, a somewhat psychotic fear of being unable to get my airbrushes clean, and the strongest desire to be able to clean them with the least possible effort.   

I know this is not the answer you're looking for, but if you are very concerned about getting your airbrush clean, I would use good old hardware store variety cheap lacquer thinner. I believe it would be the best bet for getting the airbrush thoroughly clean. It is what I use on my H&S Infinity and Iwata Eclipse. So unless you have a problem with the smell/fumes, go with lacquer thinner.

Hi Curt,

I always clean my airbrush with isopropyl alcohol. My main paints are Tamiya Acrylics, MRP, Mr Color and some AK lacquers. Works just fine every time. 

In general, every time I finish a painting session I put my airbrush (dismantled) in a cheap ultrasonic cleaner with IPA. It works wonders. My only advice is don't let the paint dry inside your airbrush. Clean it every time after you finish using it.

Hope this helps.

Tato

Edited by Tato

Guys,

Thanks for your thoughts.  I guess I can't really escape the need to use nasty stuff to clean my airbrushes if I'm using lacquer based paint.  It's the price one must pay for spectacular laydown of lacquer paint.  In fact, I just painted the bottom of my FW190 A-4 with Gunze Mr. Color Light Blue.  It came out well, but I somehow managed to spray from just far enough away to get some minor 'grit' in the finish, that is, from the paint drying on the way to the plastic.  However, I took the advice that I have read before, and sprayed a nice coat of Mr. Leveling Thinner, pure, over the top, and the final finish is like glass!  Amazing stuff...the paint AND the thinner...  

Edited by Curt B
spelling