Trumpeter P-40F used as Vallejo Metal Color paint mule

Nothing accurate about this scheme, just playing with Vallejo metal Color paints. Had a bad experience with them before, just wanted to beat them into working.

52kASk.jpg

Eixj5J.jpg

B6XhHo.jpg

pAkvT4.jpg

2EAyiT.jpg

E0xwjX.jpg

paints work really well, no hesitation using them.

Don

The paint look nice. Seems to have very fine pigment from the smoothness of the finish. Can it be brush painted for small parts? Also, did you use some sort a clear coat over it?

Flawless finish, Don!

I am keen on natural metal finish techniques (I'm building since ages a Super Constellation to be done in NMF), so can you share what kind of "bad experience" you had with them before, and how you did "beat them into working"?

Cheers

Davide

The paint look nice. Seems to have very fine pigment from the smoothness of the finish. Can it be brush painted for small parts? Also, did you use some sort a clear coat over it?

I've never tried brush painting them, can experiment and get back to you. I used Tamiya dullcoat over the build, XF-86

Flawless finish, Don!

I am keen on natural metal finish techniques (I'm building since ages a Super Constellation to be done in NMF), so can you share what kind of "bad experience" you had with them before, and how you did "beat them into working"?

Cheers

Davide

I used these paints and their recommended primer on a P-38 Trumpeter build.74-660 is their recommended primer. Found the primer airbrushed great, glossy smooth... let it set up and dry. then hit it with a Metal Color overall. Masked with tape to spray various panels and the tape pulled up the paint and primer. Not small amounts, but BIG sheets of paint!! Had to strip and start again. Stripping was easy, just used tape.

soX6oc.jpg

JosBHN.jpg

Primed with Tamiya rattlecan primer and then AS-12 for the main color coat. All panels after this were done with the Metal Color and the same paint behaved great!!! Not my first go round with painting and surface prep. Was able to mask and spray 45minutes to an hour after, and subsequent panel spraying afterwards I had great results. I used Tamiya tape, green painters tape, no pulling up of paint.

A gear bay door I had painted with the black primer had sat for a week. More than enough time to dry.

HXo2xA.jpg

UW8va9.jpg

6jgb0N.jpg

WejuuM.jpg

YFX3NE.jpg

Really happy with how this one turned out. I since have found I could use any paint as a primer with no worries of pulling up the paint. Is my go to NMF paint, along with Tamiya rattlecan metallic. HTH

Don

Thanks for all the info. The paint, with the dullcoat, really makes a convincing dulled down aluminum. I looked the paints up on the Vallejo site and they state that it can be brushed. If true, that would be nice for painting small parts and some touch ups.  A lot of the metallic paints looks nice but you can't brush paint them. Nice if one could do both.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info Don.

It's a proof that not always the primers recommended by the manufacturers are the best.

I always use Humbrol gloss black as primer for the Alclad Metallics and never had a problem, so never tried the Alclad primers for that reason.

Davide