Richard Bong P-38

All,

I just ordered a set of 1/48 scale decals for a Richard Bong P-38.  I was hoping that I could use these decals on the new Tamiya P-38, but, unfortunately, the New Tamiya plane is a P-38G/F, while Bong's main mount was a P-38J.  I've learned through research that the P-38J was significant'y different that the F/G model in terms of the air intake for the engines, and probably a lot more.  I also know the Tamiya tends not to do too many variants on their planes, and so the likelihood of Tamiya making a J model is pretty small.  Does anyone have any idea how hard it would be to modify the new Tamiya P-38 into a J variant?

In new Tamiya kit are two instruments board - so - i think a "J" version coming soon. T-bolt have Tamiya in three versions (Razorback, Bubble top and M), Mustang in two, Gekko/Irving too, big scale Spit 3x, Corsair 3x, Mustang 2x... Don´t worry, P-38J coming soon. And i think with Ira Bongs personal mount so it is a very famous aircraft. 

And very cheap and still nice "J" for few bucks have Academy - only decals are horrible… But Tamiya is better. (And naturally - Hasegawa, but their kit is more expensive as Academy). 

In new Tamiya kit are two instruments board - so - i think a "J" version coming soon. T-bolt have Tamiya in three versions (Razorback, Bubble top and M), Mustang in two, Gekko/Irving too, big scale Spit 3x, Corsair 3x, Mustang 2x... Don´t worry, P-38J coming soon.

That's a pretty big statement.  Just because Tamiya has the parts, doesn't mean that they will ever get around to releasing a J.  Their 32nd Mustang kit had the basis for a late version F-51D.  I recall reading all the posts about how an F-51D would be right around the corner.  

It's been years, nothing.....

Hmm, F-51...but P-38J is another "mug of coffe". It is most important version of "Twin-tail Devil", with many attractive markings. Tamiya make an "Rocket firing Mustang" in P-51D/K  box.... with parts for two important versions (or subversions) of "Mustang". Probably isn´t F-51D a potentional best-seller, don´t forget - Tamiya´s big scale P-51D/K isn´t cheap kit... And Tamiya may be little worried for sales.... I bought first P-51D (only D). Later, when i need a money i sell it, and now i can bought it another Tamiya (in future). Revell is cheap, but it is an early D-5 and quality isn´t comparable with Tamiya (i think plastic parts, not accuracy). But - when i can choose between WW II config (with missiles rails) P-51D/K or post war F-51 (have another type of prop...) - what i choose ? Simple - WW II P-51D/K, not F-51.... Probably is more acceptable for Tamiya, when you bought an after market cuffed prop and decals - and all important for F-51 you have in D/K box... and Tamiya can´t make an expensive F-51 "Korean War" release.... I still hope in Spitfire Mk. IXe.... wing parts for "E" and fuselage for IX they have... The same problem -  mainly post war version. (But "E" was used in WW II too). But Lighting isn´t this case... and  i really hope in fighter version of P-38J. Tamiya isn´t Academy and don´t offer many sub-version i one box (probably) as photo - reccon (Saint Ex !)or bomber (Droop snoot) or twin seated Night fighter - in this case i´m not optimistic. But in standard version yes... A Mossie make too in three different  box... (FB-VI, bomber/spy plane and bull nose with parabolic anteena radar). And when make an "M" (very marginal) version of T-Bolt... No, quarter scale is a cheapest option as big scale and expensive kit and i think a P-38J from Tamiya is real... And when you don´t wait or it - bought a Academy for 10USD... For this price it is a nice P-38 (with ugly decals but decals you have 🙂 ).  I now look for pin ups nose arts - i was dumb when i have few years ago a very nice decals from kagero with very attractive and sexy nose arts - and i sell it... now is out of production and i have a relative nice kit of P-38 with tragic decals...

Hmm, F-51...but P-38J is another "mug of coffe". It is most important version of "Twin-tail Devil", with many attractive markings. Tamiya make an "Rocket firing Mustang" in P-51D/K  box.... with parts for two important versions (or subversions) of "Mustang". Probably isn´t F-51D a potentional best-seller, don´t forget - Tamiya´s big scale P-51D/K isn´t cheap kit... And Tamiya may be little worried for sales.... I bought first P-51D (only D). Later, when i need a money i sell it, and now i can bought it another Tamiya (in future). Revell is cheap, but it is an early D-5 and quality isn´t comparable with Tamiya (i think plastic parts, not accuracy). But - when i can choose between WW II config (with missiles rails) P-51D/K or post war F-51 (have another type of prop...) - what i choose ? Simple - WW II P-51D/K, not F-51.... Probably is more acceptable for Tamiya, when you bought an after market cuffed prop and decals - and all important for F-51 you have in D/K box... and Tamiya can´t make an expensive F-51 "Korean War" release.... I still hope in Spitfire Mk. IXe.... wing parts for "E" and fuselage for IX they have... The same problem -  mainly post war version. (But "E" was used in WW II too). But Lighting isn´t this case... and  i really hope in fighter version of P-38J. Tamiya isn´t Academy and don´t offer many sub-version i one box (probably) as photo - reccon (Saint Ex !)or bomber (Droop snoot) or twin seated Night fighter - in this case i´m not optimistic. But in standard version yes... A Mossie make too in three different  box... (FB-VI, bomber/spy plane and bull nose with parabolic anteena radar). And when make an "M" (very marginal) version of T-Bolt... No, quarter scale is a cheapest option as big scale and expensive kit and i think a P-38J from Tamiya is real... And when you don´t wait or it - bought a Academy for 10USD... For this price it is a nice P-38 (with ugly decals but decals you have 🙂 ).  I now look for pin ups nose arts - i was dumb when i have few years ago a very nice decals from kagero with very attractive and sexy nose arts - and i sell it... now is out of production and i have a relative nice kit of P-38 with tragic decals...

Keep in mind that Tamiya didn't include the rockets or rails for the "Rocket Firing Mustang" but I digress    I hope you will get your wish, I agree that the later Lightning would be a strong seller but Tamiya works in mysterious ways.   If I had a dollar for every post I've seen assuring me that Tamiya would be releasing X any day now, just to have the promised kit never appear, I'd be a wealthy man.

Regards,

John

Well, I’m going to give Tamiya awhile (not yet defined How long that will be, in my own mind) and hold on to my Bong decals for “Marge”.  If no J variant is coming, I’ll figure out what to do with those markings. 

but they didn't take too long releasing the F-14D after they did the A. So maybe we'll get lucky

And a decade (plus) after the released an F-16C we don’t have a A or B or D. 

Well, I’m going to give Tamiya awhile (not yet defined How long that will be, in my own mind) and hold on to my Bong decals for “Marge”.  If no J variant is coming, I’ll figure out what to do with those markings. 

I’d put money on a J release next year.  It’s a cash cow that the neither the F-51 or F-16A/D would be.  

Edited by Falconxlvi

I’d put money on a J release next year.  It’s a cash cow that the neither the F-51 or F-16A/D would be.  

I’m going to keep my fingers (and toes) crossed!! 🙏