Kinetic Su-33 Bort 80

The Zip kit is not bad, but far from ideal. A normal set will come soon, with such nozzles ..

12708407121571941012.jpg

Hi Vladimir!

The whole Komplekt Zip set has cost me dearly; I think it was comprised of four sets (forward fuselage, intakes, aft fuselage and wheels), plus the NeOmega cockpit set.

I did have to fight the KZ forward fuselage set in order to make it fit the Trumpy kit. Didin't know that the exhaust were wrong on the KZ set, but good thing about the rear fuselage set was that it also corrects part of the exhaust shroud on the kit.

Well, anyway, the spine is to be corrected on the Trumpy kit as well. One thing I'm still lost regarding the Su-24M is about the wing fences which coincide with the wing glove pylons; are those wing fences not used today? Seen most of the latest aircraft without them.

@Hubbie Marsten

I would love to share those photographs.  Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever happen.  They are buried somewhere in my grandmothers belongings, and she is quite old now and not mobile enough to actually locate them.   I have asked her a few times over the years to send them over, but the photos she has sent have not contained anything from inside the Chkalov aircraft factory.   There were all sorts of photos that would probably be appreciated.  Maybe some day we will actually find them. 

I do remember how I got inside that intake though!  We were walking through the factory to the computer lab so that I can see the large (blueprint?) printer in action.  On the way, we walked past an Su-24M with several men working on it.   I was excited and wanted to see what they were doing, but she would not let me get any closer.  Then, one of the men noticed my excitement and said it was OK and gave me a tour of sorts.   At some point, he lifted me into an opening on the bottom and I crawled inside, and stuck my head out of the front... and my grandmother snapped a picture.   I'm actually surprised that I remember this so well, since it was over 30 years ago. 

Hi Ray,

Something about Russian Cold War aircraft that has always fascinated me in a level not even my own country ones have. Still remember I was the first one in my grade to purchase the Lindberg 1/48 MiG-25 Foxbat kit. I don't even imagine how it could have been for a little kid to be brought up in Russia during that time period, to be around an aircraft factory and stuff.

And to have pictures of those memories must be priceless; just let your grandma be. Hope she's doing okay.

Good memories go on for ever, my friend. Thanks a lot all the same.

Cheers, 

Thanks for photos Nazar! And Thanks to your father for taking you with him to bring us those fantastic photos! Actually saw red 80 after overhaul... camo is OK but bort number font is soo ugly

I am from Croatia, which is 2000 km from Severomorsk 😛

Edited by mario krijan

Thanks for photos Nazar! And Thanks to your father for taking you with him to bring us those fantastic photos! Actually saw red 80 after overhaul... camo is OK but bort number font is soo ugly 😞

Yes, the plane has lost its appearance ...

Discussed here ..

http://forums.airforce.ru/matchast/4131-reestr-su-33-a-78/

And if we talk about really cool photos, then you need to see what my father was shooting ..True, it was shot 25 years ago, then there were no good photo cameras with us ...

IoJ9dyWY0Cs1571954607.jpg

mwW1TJ8vmgo1571954607.jpg

KZh9B9Zp3gE1571954607.jpg

VubXvZ6FsjQ1571954656.jpg

Xx71lsoKnLM1571954676.jpg

cVQf8cTgt01571954697.jpg

Edited by Nazar

Another update. 

I have scrapped my original plan of building this model wings up.  After a lot of work, I was still not happy with the way the wing joints were coming out.  I ended up hacking away all of those details and attaching the outer wings  in their flying position.   A bit bummed about this, but what can you do? 

Aside from this,  the airframe is just about ready for priming.   Just need to clean up the wing joints, feather the Mr Surfacer 1500 from what was left of the seams, add the PE hatches and raised panels, and then on to my favorite part, painting! 

The slats are glued in and the flaps are going in tonight.   My plan of action with the flaps is to install the flaperons and upper segments now, and leave off the lower slotted portion until after painting. 

I added a bit of material to the flap tracks in order to get the slotted portion of the flaps to sit correctly.  Without this, there really was no "slot," and that's all wrong.  I'm assuming this was intentional on Kinetic's part (or Aviation Art, or whatever) because the added material would interfere with a flaps-up installation.  Not a big deal, just some styrene stock cut into tiny strips. Not sure of the thickness, but I can post that when I get home later, if anybody needs that info. 

Added material. 

20191024-224855.jpg

Dry-fit of the flaps.  Ignore the obvious misalignment... its impossible to tape all of these into place perfectly.   The point of the picture is to show what the added material does.  I may need to adjust this a bit later, but that will come after installing the upper segments of the flaps. 

20191105-232039.jpg

Starting to look like an Su-33

20191105-232407.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got some work done on this thing.  Flaps, slats, and PE bits mounted, hairline seams filled, and panel lines re-scribed.  There are a few small scratches that I missed that need fixing, then one last primer touch up and a final wet-sanding.... then on to paint. 

The two bare spots are the scratches mentioned above.  

20191210-220249.jpg

Canopy has been fitted, just need to deepen some of the rivets and give it a final polish. PE went on pretty easily but the horseshoes were a bit of a challenge. 

20191210-220329.jpg

Flaps went on with little problems... but that tail cone, that thing was a pain.  It was a good .5mm too fat.  I had to actually take it down with a file, then a good hour of sanding before it was flush and smooth. 

20191210-220412.jpg

@Mstor 

You mentioned your flaps keep falling off.  Is it the outer portion that I have not mounted yet?  Those seem like they will be quite delicate, so I'm leaving them off till the very end, just before I do the static wicks, pitot tubes and all of the other tiny bits of PE. 

Edited by BaconRaygun
On 12/10/2019 at 9:33 PM, BaconRaygun said:

@Mstor 

You mentioned your flaps keep falling off.  Is it the outer portion that I have not mounted yet?  Those seem like they will be quite delicate, so I'm leaving them off till the very end, just before I do the static wicks, pitot tubes and all of the other tiny bits of PE. 

Yea, though I managed to knock off one of the outboard flaps too. I'm waiting till I have more of the other little details finished and probably the cockpit too. I need to finish building the canopy and then add all the little PE "hooks" that go on the fuselage mating surface. Then, when most everything is done. I will add the flaps again and set it on the shelf and never go near it again, lest I knock something off again. Oh yes, got to do the static wicks too. That's the thing with highly detailed kits (or kits you've added detail to), they never seem to end. :dontknow:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally started paint.   The plan is to get the main underside color finished, and then move on to painting (internal) and mounting the exhaust cans and canopy.   Then, onto the top side. 

Started with the hatches and nosecone. 

20191221-223730.jpg

Layer one of the mottling.  I filled in the hatches early because I like the contrast it will achieve in the end. 

20191226-222414.jpg

This is after three "official" layers of paint.   

20191229-184905.jpg

My typical process is as follows:

1- Start with painting all hatches that are not main fuselage colors. In this case, the white hatches. 

2- Start the mottling. 

3- Adjust the mottling to fill in light spots, or even out the pattern. (I consider this part of the first coat). 

4- Apply a light and even coat (2nd coat). 

5- Fill in hatches that are main colors. Fill to about 85% of where I want them in the end. 

6- Highlight each panel and even out the shadows (3rd coat). 

7- Add lowlights with modified main color and start other details like flap tracks and the areas beneath slats and flaps (4th coat).

8- Post shading, if needed. I black base, so usually not needed... but this is where I add it in case I added too much color earlier on. 

9- Final, 5th coat. 

10- Touch ups come after I have finished painting everything and have attached any major parts (horizontal stabilizers, flaps, canards, open hatches, etc...). 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, habu2 said:

I can see the pics just fine on both laptop and mobile devices.  And they look marrrrrvelous.....  🙂

11 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

Not sure.  Are you viewing from a mobile phone? 

-Igor

Hey guys,

First of all... I can see the images 🤗!

Strangely enough I have 2 browsers open on this topic. On the left I have Chrome (w/o images) on the right I have Safari (with images). Seems that I need to use Safari.

and yes... they look marrrrrvelous...

Thanks for your feedback 👍

Edited by SaG

I need to sharpen the edges in a few small spots, but aside from that, the topside camo is finished.  

20200121-223503.jpg

Next up are the canards and stabilizers, and then on to the engines.  I guess I should fix that nose cone at some point too... 

21 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

I need to sharpen the edges in a few small spots, but aside from that, the topside camo is finished.  

20200121-223503.jpg

Next up are the canards and stabilizers, and then on to the engines.  I guess I should fix that nose cone at some point too... 

Oh, that's really nicely done.

• 2 weeks later...

More progress this week.  Finished sharpening the edges where needed but didn't bother trying to capture that on my crappy cellphone camera (actually, its the lighting... camera is pretty good for what it is).    

I added the [missing] stiffener at the top of the air-brake by using a technique described by Paul Budzik in one of his YouTube videos.  I masked the area around the stiffener and filled it with several heavy airbrushed layers of Mr.Surfacer 1500.  Then I waited a day and carefully sanded the high-spots away with a 1000 grit sanding stick (pictured).  After I took this photo, I went over this piece again with Mr.Surfacer 1500, to even out the primer layer. 

20200130-210055.jpg

I was going to simply use a piece of masking tape, but I decided against that because the area needs to be masked, and I was afraid masking over painted masking tape would not turn out so well.  

Full disclosure... I totally eyeballed this while looking at an image of the real thing along with Zactoman's digital paint-scheme renderings. I know some of you rivet counters are probably cringing while reading this, but I'm also betting nobody would notice if I didn't mention it.  Looks close enough to me!  

And now for a bit of complaining.   With all of the PE they provided in this kit, and considering how some of it is not really necessary... you would think they would provide this piece in PE, but no, of course they don't.  I suppose they could have also simply molded it in as they did with all of the other fine details, but no, of course not.   Thankfully, this was easy enough to model with a bit of masking tape and some primer. 

Lastly, I laid down primer on the rest of the exterior parts.   Next week, I'm aiming to finish the exterior colors and hopefully move on to painting the engines next weekend.

....and now it's time for me to get in my car and drive 6 hours north so that I can do some skiing this weekend.  

• 2 weeks later...