Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

BaconRaygun

Kinetic Su-33 Bort 80

Recommended Posts

It's ok... I didn't have a way of measuring this accurately so I just used me eyes the best I can.   It's close enough for me.  You're probably the only one that's gonna notice. 

 

I had too many issues with this kit to fuss over this little bit.  I didn't want to spend more than an hour working on this stiffer (or whatever it is). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

It's ok... I didn't have a way of measuring this accurately so I just used me eyes the best I can.   It's close enough for me.  You're probably the only one that's gonna notice. 

 

I had too many issues with this kit to fuss over this little bit.  I didn't want to spend more than an hour working on this stiffer (or whatever it is). 

You make a great model ... But if you paid attention to this detail, I decided to say how it will be right ...
I know this plane very well, according to my materials, the fourth model is already being made (Hasegawa, Kinetic, Zvezda and a new Chinese company .. and I just wanted to give you advice ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the advice, Nazar.  I did not mean to make it sound like I did not want your input. You probably know more about this aircraft than anybody else on this forum and your input is always welcome. 

 

 

To be honest, at this point this model is practice for the "aviation art" (or whatever they decide to call it) model... if it ends up being as nice as it looks in the photos they posted.   

 

There are other items that I ignored while building this kit.  The sink marks on the vertical stabilizers, ill-fitting canopy, engine nacelles, and a few issues with the leading edge slats that I can't correct.  I did not want to give up on this kit, so I decided to just push through and get it done.  

 

This model will not be winning any contests, but it will look nice on my shelf!  

 

 

When I build my next Su-33, I will definitely seek your help.  Your photographs have already been a lot of help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

so I decided to just push through and get it done

 

This is exactly how I felt about this kit. I've ignored most of the same stuff you have. Right now, I'm so tired of it that I am in a real slump and haven't touched the model for months. I'm at the point of adding small parts, fixing some painting, dealing with the canopy and IR sensor and a few more things, but I just can't get the drive to get back to it (health problems don't help). So, it sits. I'm hoping that watching some more of your build will get me going, so, carry on my friend. I'm depending on you to rescue me :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep at it, Mstor!   Sounds like you can get yours completed right around the same time as me.   

 

Got a little bit more done.  Had to re-do the horizontal stabilizers because I guess I must have forgotten to wash the mold-release from the rudders and the paint didn't stick... that's why they look the way they do at the moment.   Main colors on these just need a wet-sanding and a final coat. 

 

20200218-224817.jpg

 

20200218-225325.jpg

 

20200218-225419.jpg

 

 

I greatly underestimated the effort required to make hard-edged camo look good.  When I did the soft-edge camo on my Su-33, that took about three two hour sessions... so 6 hours total, plus the additional hour to prime and wet-sand.  I got it done in four days, and then painted the exhausts over the weekend.   I think I've spent about 15-20 hours over two months on this hard-edged camo so far.  The masking takes 3x longer than the actual painting.  

 

 

Oh ya, look, the nose no longer looks like a pile of crap!  To be fair, I had some major issues with the nose... my own issues, not Kinetic's fault this time.  Initially I overlooked some sloppy sanding marks, so I went and re-sanded.  Then I went to re-paint and accidentally went a bit too heavy at the tip, and then to make it worse, touched it before it was dry... so I had to once again sand, prime and re-paint the nose.  I also prepped it for the Master pitot tube (not pictured). 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by BaconRaygun
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...