JSDF airbase structure to contain, muffle, vertically redirect F-4 Phantom exhaust.

Saw via Tumblr this fellow's album on Flickr, then looking through his posts on Flickr found this, which really got me wondering.

48783215728_c4fcfdb834_z.jpgMcDonnell RF-4EJ Kai Phantom II ‘77-6392 / 392’ by Alan Wilson, on Flickr

Then playing in Google found a view which answered my question. 
The building with door cutouts is JSDF airbase structure to contain, muffle, vertically redirect F-4 Phantom exhaust.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ibaraki+Airport/@36.1757204,140.4197612,182m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xe402617a4a4d419b!8m2!3d36.1813162!4d140.416338

And the Tumblr post which led to this discovery was this fine looking C-46 variant,

https://usaac-official.tumblr.com/post/188194586041/airmanisr-curtiss-ec-46a-commando-91-1143-by

"Curtiss EC-46A Commando ’91-1143’ by Alan Wilson
Via Flickr:
c/n 293 Built as a C-46A-60-CK for the USAAC with the serial 43-47222. Transferred to the Chinese Air Force on 15th April 1946. Later became 91-1143 with the Japanese Air Self-Defence force and converted to an EC-46A (or EC-46D – depending on which reference you use). It is now on display in the Tokorozawa Aviation Memorial Park as part of the Tokorozawa Aviation Museum. Tokorozawa, Saitama Prefecture Tokyo, Japan 20th March 2019"

Edited by southwestforests

AKA "Hush House"  they have them at a lot of loud jet bases. Usually one is the test cell for engines just repaired and uninstalled, and one that you can fit half a jet in for installed runs.

So, slightly off topic, the stuff seen in the back seater's canopy, are those objects that are actually mounted on the canopy frame or is it an optical illusion and it's just something marked up or painted on the building behind the jet? Cause if that's on the plane I'm really interested in what that equipment is.

Bill

So, slightly off topic, the stuff seen in the back seater's canopy, are those objects that are actually mounted on the canopy frame or is it an optical illusion and it's just something marked up or painted on the building behind the jet? Cause if that's on the plane I'm really interested in what that equipment is.

Bill

Good question, never seen that before!

Bill

It's a visor for the side-looking camera pods Japanese RF-4EJ used.

It's fixed on the canopy frame, there are some photos of this equipment in the model art Profile about the F-4 Phantom.

It's a visor for the side-looking camera pods Japanese RF-4EJ used.

It's fixed on the canopy frame, there are some photos of this equipment in the model art Profile about the F-4 Phantom.

Awesome Thanks. I'll have to go check that out because I'm completely unaware that equipment existed. Cool!

Bill