Can I convert a Tamiya F-16 to a Barak?

Can I convert a Tamiya F-16 to an Israeli Barak?  I have the Tamiya F-16D 25/32.  I also already have the Skunkmodels IDF weapon sets.  I can get the larger intake from the block 50 set. My main concern are the wingtip mounted missiles. Does anybody know how I could mount them, or is this even an issue?

Thank you, Jeff

I believe the IAF C models are only GE engined Blocks 30 and 40.  However, their Block 30s were early ones and used the small NSI inlet as in the Tamiya Thunderbirds Block 32 kit.  So, to make a Barak from the Thunderbirds kit, you need the GE exhaust.  You can make a IAF Block 40 out of Tamiya’s Block 50 CJ kit with the help of the old Isradecal conversion for the various lumps and bumps.

Hi Jeff, yes most baraks are large mouth GE exhaust. You will need some new blistered here and there but there you can get from the isradecal set. You can still find the set on eBay.

have fun!

Hi Jeff, yes most baraks are large mouth GE exhaust. You will need some new blistered here and there but there you can get from the isradecal set. You can still find the set on eBay.

have fun!

However, he has the Thunderbirds kit.  The easiest Barak to build from that is a Block 30, which has the small NSI as in the kit, so he only needs a GE exhaust and some IAF specific lumps and bumps.  If he wants to do a Block 40, he also needs the large MCID, plus the heavyweight MLG.

Late with this reply but maybe this will help.

The name "Barak" was given to all F-16C and F-16D aircraft acquired under two FMS programs, Peace Marble II and Peace Marble III.  The PM II jets were called Barak I while the PM III jets were called Barak II.

PM II jets (Barak I) were all Block 30 jets, 51x C models and 24x D models, 75 total.  All had standard WAC HUDs, GE F110 engines, heavy weight landing gear, and parabrake extensions (for electronics not drag chutes) at the base of the vertical tail.  However, all the C models had NSI (small mouth) inlets* and all the D models had MCID (large mouth) inlets.  Additionally all the D models had the full length dorsal spine.  C models had tail numbers 3xx (301, 302 etc) and D models had tail numbers 0xx (020, 021 etc).

PM III jets (Barak II) were all Block 40 jets, 30x C models and 30x D models, 60 total.  All had standard WAC HUDs (not WAR HUDs like USAF Block 40/42s), GE F110 engines, heavy weight landing gear, and parabrake extensions (for electronics not drag chutes) at the base of the vertical tail.  Both the C and D models had MCID (large mouth) inlets.  Additionally all the D models had the full length dorsal spine.  C models had tail numbers 5xx and D models had tail numbers 6xx.  Additionally the Block 40 jets had a larger external pre-cooler inlet (long slender rectangular box) mounted above and just aft of the port main landing gear door, this is another way to differentiate between Barak I & II.

* there was one Block 30 C model (tail # 360) that had the MCID fitted after delivery as a test but the change was not adopted to the rest of the Block 30 Cs.

I didn't go into all the specific lumps bumps antenna etc, but the above info should be a good guide as to which kits/parts you need for a Barak I or II. 

Edited by habu2

I’ll have to check, but I think I have an Isracast conversion set and decals designed for the Tamiya kit. As alluded to, mostly lumps and bumps, assuming you get the nozzle/intake from the kit. I don’t plan on using it anymore and would be happy to part ways for negligible amounts (I.e. shipping cost). 

habu2 thank you that was very interesting and insightful.

ESzczesniak, if you do have a kit or parts I would be interested!  just drop me a message.  If you need my email just let me know.

Thanks guys

habu2 thank you that was very interesting and insightful.

ESzczesniak, if you do have a kit or parts I would be interested!  just drop me a message.  If you need my email just let me know.

Thanks guys

I do have it, but turns out it’s a Wolfpack conversion set and Sky Decals. I can send pictures later. 

FYI The Tam F-16C/N Aggressor kit has both inlets and exhausts, plus the necessary MLG and doors to make an Israeli bird. I did it to convert the academy F-16C into an A model Netz, plus have a Tam kit for a buddy who deployed with the MI Air guard!

FYI The Tam F-16C/N Aggressor kit has both inlets and exhausts, plus the necessary MLG and doors to make an Israeli bird.

You still need the parabrake extension, that’s not in any of the Tamiya boxings. 

Wolfpack used to make a F-16C Block 40 IDF "Barak" Conversion set for a Tamiya F-16. Its listed as discontinued. Included the dragchute housing and other bits and pieces. Don't know which specific kit its recommended for, they don't say and the pics of the instructions are too small. Discontinued now but might be found on eBay or maybe someone here. Here's a link to it:

http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/48016.html

They also made a separate dragchute housing for the Tamiya F-16s. Listed as sold out. Again, maybe e-Bay or someone here:

http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/wp48023.html

Edited by Mstor

Same thing. I know this site but it never worked for me.

Tried another browser, it worked. So, Chrome issue.

I just tried Chrome and had no problem accessing the site. I would try clear cookies and your browser cache.