Problem with Forum software?

I have noticed recently that when text from a post is quoted in a new post, it is missing the header info showing who the quote came from. Also, if I highlight text in a post, I used to get a little popup selection that has the text "Quote Selection". Now I get a popup with only a dash "-" in it. I tried it using Chrome and Firefox and see the same things. I went over to Britmodeler, who use the same forum software, and everything is just fine there. Anyone else seeing this?

When I click the "mark forum read" link, the resultant dialog box is missing text for the "okay" and "cancel" buttons.

Same problem here for the last two weeks...

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

When I click the "mark forum read" link, the resultant dialog box is missing text for the "okay" and "cancel" buttons.

Plus the message that displays at the top of the page that is supposed to tell you that the forum as been marked as read is blank, i.e. no text.

Still can not send in articles, But its not my mail server. Anyone else?

I just sent an e-mail to the submissions e-mail from my sheb@telus.net account and it arrived fine.

But no submissions have been received in the last 4 or 5 days.

So I would think there must be something not right.

Feel free to use my sheb@telus.net account.  The only problem is the inbox is small.

Regarding issues with the forums mentioned above.

I use an "off the shelf" forum program from Invision Power Board services.  I get update notices and I do the updates.  The last update was about 2 weeks ago.  I am not a person that has any clue how this program works.  The programmers that offer this service make changes and that gets passed on to me. 

I do not have the knowledge to address any of these problems.

I just sent myself a large e-mail loaded with three 5 MB photos to the submissions@arcair.com e-mail and it came through no problem.

I have recently signed up for a new dedicated server which I will test and see if it has the abilities to deal with ARC.  I signed up for a new server back and January and testing recently showed if could only accept 1 million files and the ARC HTML site has about 1 1/2 million files.  I paid for that server for 9 months before I finally figured out the issue which was rather frustrating.  It never went into use with ARC and has been cancelled.  I will be trying a new server in the coming weeks and I will see how that works out.  I tried to log in today....only to learn it does not have a control panel installed, so the hosting company will do that for me over the coming days.

If this new server works out ok....then I will move the submissions@arcair.com e-mail to the new server along with the HTML ARC sites.  The forums will not be part of that move..

Regarding issues with the forums mentioned above.

I use an "off the shelf" forum program from Invision Power Board services.  I get update notices and I do the updates.  The last update was about 2 weeks ago.  I am not a person that has any clue how this program works.  The programmers that offer this service make changes and that gets passed on to me. 

I do not have the knowledge to address any of these problems.

Steve, thanks for looking into these problems. Doesn't this software company, Invision, offer support or a very least a support forum?  I would hope that they would provide a way to ask questions and troubleshoot problems like this (missing text in popup messages).

Edited by Mstor

Steve, thanks for looking into these problems. Doesn't this software company, Invision, offer support or a very least a support forum?  I would hope that they would provide a way to ask questions and troubleshoot problems like this (missing text in popup messages).

Well there really is not much in the way of tech support.  They rely on the community of users to help each other.  They do have a discussion forum devoted to issues, but it would not be something that could effect change very easily.  But it is a place to complain with the faint hope your complaint might be addressed in a future update.

When I first started using this discussion program back in 2003 it was loaded (overloaded?) with endless features and it was a nightmare to do updates to the program...but it was a great program to use with plenty of features on the front end for users and on the back end for the admin to modify the features and look of the program.

In the past number of years they have removed features and stripped the program to the bones.  This has made updates very easy to do....click a few buttons and it automatically happens...which is good.  I think their main focus these days is security from hackers.

Well there really is not much in the way of tech support.  They rely on the community of users to help each other.  They do have a discussion forum devoted to issues, but it would not be something that could effect change very easily.  But it is a place to complain with the faint hope your complaint might be addressed in a future update.

This is somewhat typical of software companies these days. Providing support is a big money sink. If they can get the users to support the product, they save a lot of money. That aside, I would still think it a good idea to make a post on this discussion forum you speak of, describe what we are seeing and see if anyone else is or has experienced it. Often some other user may have experienced this issue and found a fix which they can share. Its a shot in the dark, but worth it if someone else is or has experienced the problem. If others are experiencing it now, then the weight of numbers may force the company into addressing the issue. Often it is a setting that gets switched off, though in this case, I think it likely that the most recent update broke something.

The problems with the missing test are making it very difficult to determine who one is quoting in replies to posts. The citation information, which is usually in the light colored bar at the top of the quote, is missing altogether. Unless you go hunting back through posts, you have no idea who a person is quoting.

If you have not done so already, I would suggest posting in their support forum. Its possible someone has had this problem in the past. I still think it might have something to do with a recent update. I am surprised that the company doesn't have anyone you can go to for support, though as I mentioned, that is common these days. It just that with software as complex as forum software, there are going to be issues that the community won't have the expertise to deal with.