KH Huey assembly question

Per Rotorwash (Ray Wilhite) and Floyd Werner who helped Kitty Hawk with this even though KH didn't listen to him or Floyd on certain things with this kit:

"the bottom of the swash plate should be 5mm from the top of the bulkhead."

and Floyd as mentioned on his build

"The biggest issue with the kit is the lack of mounting tabs for the transmission.  If you build it like I did by adding the engine then mounting the transmission deck level with the bottom of the engine front you’ll be fine. "

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/299274-kitty-hawk-148th-scale-uh-1d-online-build/

Floyd's build and review

http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/features/uh1d48fw_1.htm

Edited by snake36bravo

Thanks. Overall this kit is a stunner but some things there are just no excuses for. This is one of them. Do you have any good pics of the zinc chromate green of interior panels like the mounting plate?

Glad to help. 

The first thing to know is that the color was a mix of Zinc Chromate Green and Zinc Chromate yellow on the engine interior of D/H model unlike the inside panels on B/C/M UH-1. To illustrate this here are the best images I can provide.

Unfortunately most images I have in the archive for engine maintenance on slicks in Vietnam are either taken at ground level or looking up at crew. So this dynamic rollover crash that occurred in Vietnam with the 192nd AHC is the best I can offer to show the deck and other details.

Illustration of the color differences. Standard zinc chromate green interior panels and details on a short body UH-1B/C. (Image courtesy USAAM)

UH-1704_1280x854.jpg.jpg

Unpainted Zinc Chromate green door on a UH-1D/H. CW2 Roger 'Woody' Mitchell (image, 192nd AHC)

CW2+Mitchell+Woody.jpg

Zinc chromate yellow and green mix. (image, 192nd AHC)

ib_p034_0_11.jpgib_p034_0_13.jpg

If you look at this image below you can see one of the arms on the harmonic balancer (Stabilizar bar) is unpainted zinc chromate green whereas the interior engine panels are zinc chromate yellow. (image, 192nd AHC)

ib_p034_0_15.jpg

The silver oil reservoir is attached to a plate that is zinc chromate green but you can see the interior areas that are zinc chromate yellow. Note the dividers between the engine, the air inlet, transmission, and exhaust are zinc chromate green. The deck itself is painted the color of the AC. This particular UH-1H is post-vietnam but is the best example of the mix seen on the interior engine area.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by snake36bravo

On the UH-1D/H yes. Like I said, interior chromate on access panels on the gunships were different. In case you don't know this green and yellow chromate primer are for different types of metals or materials. 

For most it modelers it doesn't matter. Rivet counters will always be anal retentive.

You can just go with FS 34151 which is NSN 8010-00-899-8825 Zinc Chromate Metal Primer, Green or  FS 33481 which is NSN 8010-00-297-0593 Zinc Chromate Metal Primer, Yellow as directed for use in AVIATION UNIT AND INTERMEDIATE MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS ARMY MODEL UH-1H/V/EH-1H/X HELICOPTERS.

Because why not baker act yourself in the process of building your model :tease:

Edited by snake36bravo