Last active duty USN P-3

I guess today VP-40 came home from their last P-3 equipped deployment marking the end of 57 years of active duty P-3 use in the USN. Of course theirs some reserve squadrons that use the P-3 still so it’s not like they are gone yet but the writing is on the wall. 

USN has been using the P-3 since the year before I was born. My Dad was in the USN during the cold war, often on DDs.
He started in flight training but then one of those fabled eye issues caused him to have to go surface warfare.

S-2s, P-3s, and FRAM'ed DDs, that was what ASW was to me.

Didn't I read that the USN still had some P-3's active with it's spook VPU squadron?

The EP-3E's will be around for a few more years, but as far as base-line P-3C's go, this last deployment was the end of the line for active-duty squadrons. 

Aaron 

The EP-3E's will be around for a few more years, but as far as base-line P-3C's go, this last deployment was the end of the line for active-duty squadrons. 

Aaron 

I wasn’t talking about the EP, I thought the “Special Projects” squadron, VPU-2, was going to keep its Charlie models a bit longer.   Could be mistaken.....  Edit- and apparently I was mistaken.  Just googled it, looks like VPU-2 is also supposed to shut down at end of year.   Hopefully one day we’ll get a history of these two units.   

Edited by 11bee