Luftwaffe 707/307C

I saw a kit in 1/144 that was this designation. What is this model type closest to

as a civil airliner and what liveries would it have had. I do not want a Luftwaffe

707 but I am interested in civil liveries.- jon

If it is the Revell kit you are referring to then  check this link for is lineage. You will see it has had been reboxed a number of times.

And it scale out to 1/139 apparently. the product timeline will give you an idea of the schemes you could do. It is basically a 707-320, so plenty of options out there.

Thanks Ray, I am not sure if Revell's boxing is correct but I found it as a

707-320C. Don't know what's needed to make it one. I do know it had the

2 kinks in the trailing edge of the wing and the large cargo bay door or

at least that's what a 707-323C had.- jon

Edited by jonwinn

Jon,

The 2 digits (or letters) after the 3 in the Boeing model number denotes the customer number, for example 20 is Boeing itself, 07 is the West German Air Force,  23 is American Airlines. The 300 series were basically the same config/wing arrangement. The 'C' s had the forward cargo door fitted. Each airline would have made minor changes, mainly internal to suit there needs.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Jon &  Ray,

A little education may be in order here.  The Revell 707 kit is indeed 1/139 scale, but is not a 707-320.  It represents a 707-120 in it's first boxings with JT3C engines.  In later boxings, the engines were replaced with JT3Ds with turbo hoods on engines #2 & 3 only, thus representing a 707-123B of American Airlines only. Almost all other airlines opted for turbo hoods on engines #2, 3, & 4.  The fuselage length is too short for a -320/420 Intercontinental.  However, the fuselage can be shortened to make a 707-138B and 720B. [Here are links to a Ethiopian 720B and EL AL 720B].  If a true 707-320/B/C is desired, then the Airfix (early 707-320/420) or Minicraft (late 707-320B/C) kits are a better starting point.  Jon, as you point out, there are so many variations even among like model series. There are engine fit, antenna, fin height and ventral strake variations depending on the original airline customer, and then later upgrades. So choose your color scheme carefully and refer to actual photos.  There are several good airliner decal manufacturers availabe today besdies the older out of business decals floating on resale sites; too many to mention for fear of missing some; but they all have some very interesting & retro schemes available.  Good luck!

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
correct spelling

One note. I just saw some sprues for that 707/307 and it has no kinks in the wing trailing edge.

Is this the original 707 Strato jet? My older brother built a Revell 707 with AA orange lightning

bolt decals in the early 1960s. Is this a repop with different engines?- jon

Jon, 

Yes, this kit depicts the 707-123B with straight leading edge and curved trailing edges to the inboard flaps. It has the JT3D engines with tc hoods on inboard engines only.  And yes. It would look very impressive with AA orange lightning bolts. 

R/ Dutch 

Thanks Dutch. I went to Scalemates but I really prefer someone with hands on

experience. There is just so much that site tells you. Now to get Vintage Flyers

1/139 short tail AA lightning bolt decals.- jon

Dutch thanks for the info. I found a Revell Astrojet 1964 boxing kit sealed! I have model

in hand and am more confused. It looks like a 720-023B, I think. It seems to have the tall

tail, ventral fin, JT3D engines and an early 707 wing. I thought the 720 had a kink in the

leading edge and a wing glove. Also it has 3 extra windows after the rear door on the fuselage.

I don't see this on 707s. The decals have registration number N7538A which is a 720-023B. See

images below and thanks again. BTW Vintage Flyer only does 1/139 decals for the short tail

original 707.- jon

YpRkfxo.jpg

VWIBSb9.jpg

EnABhWc.jpg

j9ZUDcl.jpg

Edited by jonwinn

I just measured my kit. It is just about 12 inches from nose to tail. In 1/139 scale that's about

139 feet. The 707-120B is 145 feet 1 inch. The 720-023B is 136 feet 9 inches. So I guess my

kit represents a 720-023B more closely than a 707-120B? It definitely is a tall tail, no questions

asked and does have the ventral fin. I could be wrong if the stabs protrude further back than the

tip of the fuselage than it may be longer.....hmmmmm - jon

Edited by jonwinn
  • 3 months later...

I just went and rechecked the dimensions. The kit is closest to a 720-023B and Revell gave it 720-023B decals, not sure if

that was on purpose or accident. The wing is a bit off but looks close to the 720-023B wing, the kit has 4 extra windows

on the fuselage but what else isn't right. It is a tall tail like the 720-233B. So I can use it as a close-nuff AA 720 registration

number N7531A as shown in 1962 image below.-jon

45jok4U.jpg

Jon, 

I am pretty sure that the Revell kit is NOT a 720-023B.  I think it represents a 707-123B in it's original release and a 707-123B in its subsequent re-engined release.  The original kit has TC hoods on all four JT3C engines.  The 720 only ever had TC hoods on engines #2, 3 (inboard).  Also, the window count would tend to verify the 707-123/B thesis. And lastly, there is no wing glove inboard of the inboard engines.  Here is a link to Dave Hington's excellent 707 article on AirlinerCafe site. He explains much of the mystery of the 707/720.

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
correct spelling