Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Kurt H.

72nd Spitfire scuffle

Recommended Posts

I also want to build some 72nd scale spitfires.

 

I will build spitfires from Tamiya, Eduard and Sword. The Spitfire idea came about when Airfix released 1/48 MkIV ... I realized the Mark XIV was really cool, but the reviews of the kit were all over the place. I decided to see if there were other kits of the MK IV and I found the 1/72 Sword Kit. Since 1 kit of a subject is good, more spitfires is better right? I ended up with several spitfires of different Marks, so it is a good opportunity for a showdown. i usually build 1/48, but for some reason I really like 1/72 single engine props.  Here are the kits:

 

20190930_012836sm-vi.jpg

 

 

 

I decided to do this one at a time.

 

I will start with the Tamiya 72nd scale Spitfire Mark I. Here is the kit:

 

20191009_012637sm-vi.jpg

 

I started with black basing the cockpit parts

 

20191013_000834sm-vi.jpg

 

I got the effect I was looking for, but it is a little exaggerated

 

I painted the instrument panel . It is very small and I did the best I could

 

20191013_044805sm-vi.jpg

 

Other interior details have been painted but I forgot to take more pictures.  Not a lot of parts to this one, so it should come together quickly. 

 

 

Edited by Kurt H.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As expected this one has come together pretty easily

 

Fuselage halves  mated with the cockpit inside. The seam on the fuselage did not require much work

 

20191102_021753sm-vi.jpg

 

 

the wing came together easily, but I made things hard on my self with a nice glue fingerprint on the left hand side of this picture. I was able to sand the gluey finger print away.

 

20191102_021805sm-vi.jpg

 

and as it stands at the time of this writing, with the major airframe parts assembled. next step is spot priming to see if the seams require work

 

20191108_031802sm-vi.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is ready for primer. I gave it a good scrub with blue dawn and a toothbrush to get some sanding spooge out of the panel lines.

 

20191117_013017sm-vi.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep forgeting to take pictures of this one 

 

I primered the model. The silver in the wing root has been sprayed with tresseme hairspray to try the hairspray chipping technique

 

20191130_004856sm-vi.jpg

 

And since i had time I painted the bottom with MRP Sky

 

20191201_032049sm-vi.jpg

 

anda closer look with flash, this shows the black basing and tonal variation a little more

 

20191201_032056sm-vi.jpg

 

well see ya next time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I painted the dark earth  with MRP, and the same marble/blend technique

 

20191202_041028sm-vi.jpg

 

The paint dried within minutes, but I am too tired to paint the green, it requires considerable concentration for me to paint this way.

 

See ya next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...