72nd Spitfire scuffle

I also want to build some 72nd scale spitfires.

I will build spitfires from Tamiya, Eduard and Sword. The Spitfire idea came about when Airfix released 1/48 MkXIV ... I realized the Mark XIV was really cool, but the reviews of the kit were all over the place. I decided to see if there were other kits of the MK XIV and I found the 1/72 Sword Kit. Since 1 kit of a subject is good, more spitfires is better right? I ended up with several spitfires of different Marks, so it is a good opportunity for a showdown. i usually build 1/48, but for some reason I really like 1/72 single engine props.  Here are the kits:

20190930_012836sm-vi.jpg

I decided to do this one at a time.

I will start with the Tamiya 72nd scale Spitfire Mark I. Here is the kit:

20191009_012637sm-vi.jpg

I started with black basing the cockpit parts

20191013_000834sm-vi.jpg

I got the effect I was looking for, but it is a little exaggerated

I painted the instrument panel . It is very small and I did the best I could

20191013_044805sm-vi.jpg

Other interior details have been painted but I forgot to take more pictures.  Not a lot of parts to this one, so it should come together quickly. 

Edited by Kurt H.
typographical error
  • 4 weeks later...

As expected this one has come together pretty easily

Fuselage halves  mated with the cockpit inside. The seam on the fuselage did not require much work

20191102_021753sm-vi.jpg

the wing came together easily, but I made things hard on my self with a nice glue fingerprint on the left hand side of this picture. I was able to sand the gluey finger print away.

20191102_021805sm-vi.jpg

and as it stands at the time of this writing, with the major airframe parts assembled. next step is spot priming to see if the seams require work

20191108_031802sm-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep forgeting to take pictures of this one 

I primered the model. The silver in the wing root has been sprayed with tresseme hairspray to try the hairspray chipping technique

20191130_004856sm-vi.jpg

And since i had time I painted the bottom with MRP Sky

20191201_032049sm-vi.jpg

anda closer look with flash, this shows the black basing and tonal variation a little more

20191201_032056sm-vi.jpg

well see ya next time. 

I painted the dark earth  with MRP, and the same marble/blend technique

20191202_041028sm-vi.jpg

The paint dried within minutes, but I am too tired to paint the green, it requires considerable concentration for me to paint this way.

See ya next time.

I painted the green,and started the decals

20191206_170917sm-vi.jpg

I ran into some issues with the decals, I had the wing walk stripe nice and straight, but I got a little impatient and applied micro sol too soon and it goobered up the decal, and i did my best keep it straight, but i came back the next day and it was all wiggly. i also ruined the perpendicular line along the wing root, it came off and got so twisted and tangled, I could not salvage it. I ordered an eduard spitfire stencil sheet to replace the decal I ruined.

and not pictured, I painted the rest of the parts for this one, the prop, wheels and landing gear.

Edited by Kurt H.
typographical error
  • 5 weeks later...

Wow a month has passed....

I have been working on this one, but i was busy during the holidays. 

Any way, I have started using oils to get a little more variation in the color, and to try to acheive gun soot and and exhaust staining

20200107_015641sm-vi.jpg

20200107_015648sm-vi.jpg

Now I just need to wait several days before proceeding, oils take a long time to dry.

• 2 weeks later...

And the Tamiya Spitfire is done

20200124_012033sm-vi.jpg

I can not yet draw a conclusion for the showdown, but the other kits have a tough example to beat. This is the first Tamiya aircraft model I have finished. The stories are true, the fit of modern tamiya kits is excellent, and this was a pretty easy build. The only problem was the decals, and that was only because I was impatient.

I am not sure whether to dive into the next spits, or finish some other kits first.   I think the other two spitfires will be built together so I can get a better comparison.