still need modern tooled 1:48 A-10 and F-111F

still need these, Id like a B-52 too but figure its a bit too big in 1/48, but Balls 8 with X-15 would be cool

Well, HpH is supposed to be doing a 1/48 B-52. You can see the progress their making on their website. I'm with you as far as the A-10 and F-111, but would expand the F-111 to all the versions. The Hobby Boss kits are terribly inaccurate.

Ive given up on the F-111E or F-111F front. 

I had high hopes for the HobbyBoss kit which on the surface looks an amazing kit but with its unforgivable mistakes its a bit of a none starter, the Academy kit is on par with it which is shamful from a manufacturers point of view.

The A-10A is the same really. There are some good offerings but with the mistakes on them you might just as well roll with the 48th scale Tamiya kit.

I agree on the F-111, Id also like the spark vark, If I had the time Id like to build F-111F El Dorado Canyon and  Desert Storm Bunker Buster mission (those were F-111Fs right? not Strike Eagles)

Not only that.
All lthe Desert Storm footage you see of TV guided bombs, they dropped them too.

Too bad Hasegawa doesn't have the business sense to upscale their wonderful 1/72 F-111s .  They'd easily sweep aside the Hobbyboss and Academy kits.  I'm sure there are folks who don't mind paying a higher price for a more accurate kit.

Ive given up on the F-111E or F-111F front. 

I had high hopes for the HobbyBoss kit which on the surface looks an amazing kit but with its unforgivable mistakes its a bit of a none starter, the Academy kit is on par with it which is shamful from a manufacturers point of view.

The A-10A is the same really. There are some good offerings but with the mistakes on them you might just as well roll with the 48th scale Tamiya kit.

Not to dispute your claims, but what wrong with the Hobbyboss F-111's?

I'm not an expert on this but I know that the windshield shape is off, the exhausts are very inaccurate, intake shapes are off. I am sure there is more. Others will no doubt be able to add to this. Recent'y Reskit came out with exhausts for the HB F-111s. So that one thing that can easily be corrected. For the windshield, it is possible to graft an aftermarket Vacuum formed part on, but its a lot of work. No one makes aftermarket intakes for the HB kit so I don't know how one would go about correcting those.

What are the flaws of the 1:48 Monogram A-10?

Shape wise the Monogram is the most accurate but it is not a “shake and build” kit as compared to recent releases from Tamiya and the like. Add to that, it has raised panel lines and deployed speed brakes. Plus it’s an A model.

I would love to see an accurate A-10C molded to current quality and accuracy. 

Shape wise the Monogram is the most accurate but it is not a “shake and build” kit as compared to recent releases from Tamiya and the like. Add to that, it has raised panel lines and deployed speed brakes. Plus it’s an A model.

I would love to see an accurate A-10C molded to current quality and accuracy. 

As I understand it, the Monogram kit is actually a touched up Aurora mold. It may be accurate shape wise, but it is a terrible kit. I was appalled when I first bought the kit, thinking I was going to get something up to the current standards of Monogram kits (F-15, F-14). It was more a toy than a scale model.

Canopy shape wrong, cockpit generic, pave tack wrong, weapons bay wrong, engine intakes wrong, wing flaps wrong exhausts wrong...

The decals are ok though...

Monogram kit is sh*** too!

There is not a single good model of any of the F-111 models from A to G, and that includes the much loved 1/72nd Hasegawa kit (general nose shape problems)

Its not a case of getting an accurate kit but what problems you can live with in the kits out there.
The Hobbyboss kit builds nice and if you dont really know the plane it looks great and is most convincing, but then so is the Academy kit with a hell of a lot of work.

As to the A-10
Im wanting a nice A-10A, the A-10C can be done from upgrades, first you need to start with the basics

As I understand it, the Monogram kit is actually a touched up Aurora mold. 

Are you referring to the A-10 or F-111?

Aurora never released an A-10 in 48th.  Monogram did modify Aurora molds for their F-111A in 48th.

Shape wise the Monogram is the most accurate but it is not a “shake and build” kit as compared to recent releases from Tamiya and the like.

The Tamiya kit is NOT recent, it was released in 1977, over 40 years ago.  It is more representative of the early prototype/FSD jets than a production airframe.

The only "recent" A-10 kits are Italeri (2006) and Hobbyboss (2007)

Canopy shape wrong, cockpit generic, pave tack wrong, weapons bay wrong, engine intakes wrong, wing flaps wrong exhausts wrong...

The decals are ok though...

Monogram kit is sh*** too!

There is not a single good model of any of the F-111 models from A to G, and that includes the much loved 1/72nd Hasegawa kit (general nose shape problems)

Its not a case of getting an accurate kit but what problems you can live with in the kits out there.
The Hobbyboss kit builds nice and if you dont really know the plane it looks great and is most convincing, but then so is the Academy kit with a hell of a lot of work.

As to the A-10
Im wanting a nice A-10A, the A-10C can be done from upgrades, first you need to start with the basics

Depending on the version, you also have wrong pylon and dump mast shapes (for the FB -111A/G) , for the F-111C AUP, the cockpit details that are not correct (the Eduard PE sets do not offer AUP details), and the PT pod is also not accurate. The RAAF decals are also pretty bad (colours wrong, roo shapes awful), incorrect bomb racks, the list goes on....

The re-tooled Academy kit did update the cockpit side consoles and instrument panel to represent the AUP cockpit, and also corrected the nose gear bay which is now very accurate, however the main gear bay was not updated and is very wrong,.

The HB kit was definitely a missed opportunity which may have scared off other manufacturers. I agree, it is a shame Has never upscaled their 1/72 F-111 kits, still the most accurate

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

The Tamiya kit is NOT recent, it was released in 1977, over 40 years ago.  It is more representative of the early prototype/FSD jets than a production airframe.

The only "recent" A-10 kits are Italeri (2006) and Hobbyboss (2007)

I think he was referring to the quality of recent Tamiya kits like the F-16. Although, I think people overstate the shake and bake qualities. 

Did the AUP cockpit add the pave tack display to the co pilots seat?

The Has kit is the most accurate but thats not to say its totally accurate either.

The shape is wrong from the nose back to the fuselage sides 

The PT imagery was displayed on the Radar Indicator Display (RID) and was present before the F-111Cs underwent the AUP mods. The FOV was diivded into an upper and lower display depending on which sensor (Radar or PT) was the sensor of interest.  The RID was located on the right side of the cockpit, so yeah the PT display was on the rights side (the navigator's side) although a small flap on the left could be raised to allow the pilot to view the display as well.

The Has kit is not perfect but the difference in nose profile is not that noticeable in 1/72, I could certainly live with it even in 1/48 but if you are going to tool up a new mold, and given the advances in laser scanning techniques, there is no reason why it could not be captured accurately. The new Airfix kits are certainly proof that laser scanning techniques can be used to produce accurate models,

Pappy

Revell / Monogram Hawg is a nice kit and not a bad build with some forethought.  Up to DS period it is pretty accurate.

John

8BED5CFE-AC87-469B-8157-48C4C41CF658.jpeg

It makes a nice model Im not going to pretend it doesnt, and for the time I built it, which was about 20 years ago it was good, and like you say for an ODS era plane its good, which I like because its my era.

I liked the kit but it anoyed me that it was only the outer surfaces which "moved"...

The hawg was always a favorite of mine because I remember their time at Woodbridge and Bentwaters.

I never had a stab at the Italeri kit... I would assume that while the Tamiya kit goes together really easily the Italeri kit would be more modern in its features and accuracy as its a lot newer.

I've been requesting a new tool 1/48 F-111 ever since I got back into the hobby about 20 years ago. Words can't describe how underwhelming the Hobbyboss kit was when it first came out. I've actually resigned to the fact it probably won't happen anytime soon either. I would actually think a new A-10 would pop up long before an F-111 ever does. Purely because they are still in service. Still I hope to be proven wrong but probably not. Sigh...