Tunisian Desert Dio with FW190 A-4

Hi All,

Looks like not too many folks post or visit this area, but I'm going to put something new up here and see what happens.

I'm going to be doing my first diorama.  I haven't even done one with the many armor builds I've done, but I really want to do this one with my 1/48 FW190 A-4.  This plane was based in Tunisia.  I want to do an 8" round base, with something simple, with perhaps just desert hardpan, and a few scattered desert plants and rocks, and the plane sitting in the middle, with perhaps light tire tracks.  The plane is going to sit with its canopy open, and no figures.  As I wrote, I've never done a diorama of any kind, and I want it to be simple.  I know there are all kinds of pre-colored diorama type 'earth' 'pastes' and the like, but I'm not sure at all of how to go about it.  I know I can go back over to Armorama and get some thoughts over there, but I wanted to start here first with all of you airplane guys and see if you have any ideas...  Thanks.