New Tool 1/72 F-14A Tomcat from Academy?

Looks like another MCP (multi colored plastic) release.  I have their new 1/72 F-4J and F-15K in that series.  While I agree the panel lines and rivets are a bit overdone for scale, the plastic looks nice in the box and they should be able to go together fairy easily.  It’s nice to have more options for a 1/72 F-14A!

Steve

Like Mstor said, sprue D. Seems like the GE version only gets the open nozzle, bit sad since the asymmetric configuration when parked looks interesting. Still, I am quite excited for this kit 🙂

I thought only the P&W TF-30 shut down asymmetrically because of hydraulic power loss.

I thought only the P&W TF-30 shut down asymmetrically because of hydraulic power loss.

I thought so too, but many years ago someone corrected me on that. There are some pictures that show the GE nozzles in different states, plenty more that show them in the same state. I can't say for certain if the reason for the different states is the same as with the P&W engines, I just like the look of it.

For the GE engines, both engines nozzles defaulted to the open position when both engines were turning.

Rarely during a single engine turn the mech turning the engine would shut the engine down with the nozzle closed so the mech's could work on something. I did 15 years in A/B/D and only saw the nozzles closed on shut down a less than hand full of times so it was very rare to see one nozzle closed with the other open.

For the PW engines, the engine computer controlled the nozzle and when one engine shut down with the other turning the computer forced the nozzle to close in order to "squeeze" out the last bit of thrust from the engine that was shutting down. This was done to help mitigate asymmetric thrust that happened with one engine turning and the other not. The nozzle would automatically "pucker" at a certain during spool down rpm.

Hobbyboss did a 1/72 F-14 with the a2g systems

I think you´re confusing it with the Italeri F-14D.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-1202-grumman-f-14a-tomcat--268102

AFAIK this is the only Bombcat in town, at least Hobbyboss never had something similar in their boxes, I built the A, B and D.

HAJO

I don't really understand all the elation over this new kit, when we have the Fine Molds and GWKmin that scale

Glt

To put it simply, price point and availability. 

The Fine Molds F-14D was a limited edition kit bundled with several issues of Model Graphix magazine. The GWH kit retails for almost US$45 where I’m at. The Academy kit will probably retail for half that. 

Mark

To put it simply, price point and availability. 

The Fine Molds F-14D was a limited edition kit bundled with several issues of Model Graphix magazine. The GWH kit retails for almost US$45 where I’m at. The Academy kit will probably retail for half that. 

Mark

In addition to the points you make, the GWH is only a D. The Academy can be used to build just about any Tomcat expect ones with the original beaver tail. Hmm, this might be an opportunity for a resin piece. 😊

In addition to the points you make, the GWH is only a D. The Academy can be used to build just about any Tomcat expect ones with the original beaver tail. Hmm, this might be an opportunity for a resin piece. 😊

I knew you'd say that :naughty: