New Tool 1/72 F-14A Tomcat from Academy?

To put it simply, price point and availability. 

The Fine Molds F-14D was a limited edition kit bundled with several issues of Model Graphix magazine. The GWH kit retails for almost US$45 where I’m at. The Academy kit will probably retail for half that. 

Mark

Ok, I get that part. Yet I thought Fine Molds did two different tomcats. The first one was the limited edition, but thought second was mass produced. 

Gary will

In addition to the points you make, the GWH is only a D. The Academy can be used to build just about any Tomcat expect ones with the original beaver tail. Hmm, this might be an opportunity for a resin piece. 😊

Will the Academy build into a very early tomcat?

Glt

Does anyone else think the front/nose area looks a bit off? 

(Hesitated to write that above comment- didn't want to get into AMK territory)...

VF-51 decals are cool though!

RRP is $25USD, personally, I'd go the Hasegawa standard for $16USD or the Fujimi repops at around $19USD any day of the week compared to this. They're just consistent kits that were done right the first time IMO 

Ok, I get that part. Yet I thought Fine Molds did two different tomcats. The first one was the limited edition, but thought second was mass produced. 

Gary will

The mass produced ones, are the excellent F-14A kits:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10521582

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10486938 

The latter is set to be re-released this month

RRP is $25USD, personally, I'd go the Hasegawa standard for $16USD or the Fujimi repops at around $19USD any day of the week compared to this. They're just consistent kits that were done right the first time IMO 

I'm with you on those two. The Hase kit is still very good in my book (and going for only US$15+  at HobbyLinkJapan).

The Fujimi ones are still available & I love the fact that they include 2 very good pilot figures (with posable arms & helmets) and a full weapons load + displayable engines with trolley:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10363197

( Even cheaper at HLJ...the links are too long. Just key in Fujimi Tomcat at the HLJ search engine)

Edited by JackMan

F-14A, B, and D can be built in this box, but decals only for an -80GR. The wing sweep mechanism looks to have been omitted this time around. Curious that they have decals for the oil streaks left by wing sweep.

There is a swing wing mechanism. The pieces are on the same B sprue as the wings, they're right below the B letter. Seems they don't use gears to synchronize them and seems to have only 3 notches, speculating they're for open, swept back and parked positions. They also seems to be installed first and let you slide the wings into the tab like Tamiya's after painting.

I'm with you on those two. The Hase kit is still very good in my book (and going for only US$15+  at HobbyLinkJapan).

The Fujimi ones are still available & I love the fact that they include 2 very good pilot figures (with posable arms & helmets) and a full weapons load + displayable engines with trolley:

( Even cheaper at HLJ...the links are too long. Just key in Fujimi Tomcat at the HLJ search engine)

Don't forget these re-pops https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/ww7evryexrl1nsodrfaf.html The VF-124 option is awesome

There's a VF-84 one around too. It's the Fujimi kit with a few little additions, some PE from memory. But case in point, a good few dollary doos and so much more kit from the outset. 

Edited by Keroburner89

I thought Quickboost or somebody else did the beaver tail

Glt

They did a 1/48 late A or B beaver tail. The one Darren is talking about is the original first beaver tail used on the early F-14As. See pic below. Its the one marked "F-14A (early)". Quickboost's is the bottom on in the pic. Darren has made a resin early beaver tail for the 1/48 Tamiya kit (also is included with some Hasegawa F-14A kits).

f14-detail-beavertail.thumb.gif.3d08a37d58444ecff1d2ae9c44223162.gif

Don't forget these re-pops https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/ww7evryexrl1nsodrfaf.html The VF-124 option is awesome

There's a VF-84 one around too. It's the Fujimi kit with a few little additions, some PE from memory. But case in point, a good few dollary doos and so much more kit from the outset. 

Ah, yes.  The Fujimi re-pops are really value for money.  The VF-84 one was kitted by KA-models  and features not one but TWO sets of P.E as well as "glow in the dark" decals for the formation "slime" lights:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-72-F-14A-Tomcat-Jolly-Rogers/323765448143?hash=item4b61ecadcf:g:sPIAAOSwXj5XF5TD

Just occurred to me that I have four Fujimi early tomcat kits in the storage room. Guess what? I'm good to go!

Gary

• 2 months later...

Meh, it's not Hasegawa Tomcat, it doesn't count 😋

Seriously though, it looks like it's not the easykit-ish version Academy seems to pop out nowadays. Looks like one could even open canopy without too much fuss. Great news!

Love the VF-51 option. Liked it on the original Academy F-14 too. Just didn't bother looking at reference pictures 🙂 Didn't want to spoil the first impression.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, Darren Roberts said:

One stop shopping for almost all variants! Here's hoping they scale it up and release it in 1/48 as well. 

Will your beaver tail option for an initial F14 work on this kit?  The Fine Molds kits are too hard to come by these days. Of course there's the Fujimi for an early version

Gary

27 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

Will your beaver tail option for an initial F14 work on this kit?  The Fine Molds kits are too hard to come by these days. Of course there's the Fujimi for an early version

Gary

Unfortunately, I don't have one in 1/72 scale. ☹️

Have this kit mostly built, painted, and mostly decaled for review in FSM. FANTASTIC fit! Great Cartograf decals. It isn't the "be all - end all" Tomcat kit; no separate flaps, no open boarding ladder, no separate engine, no radar, etc. But it does have parts for A, B, and D, excellent ordnance. Wings can be swung from full extended to folded for deck, but they are not geared. I've not built (and probably won't build) some of the newest Tomcat kits (GWH, Fine Molds), but this one has plenty of advantages over some of the old classics. Especially the top-notch fit!

On 12/24/2019 at 9:46 PM, Paul Boyer said:

Have this kit mostly built, painted, and mostly decaled for review in FSM. FANTASTIC fit! 

Any indication which canopy mask set will best fit this release? Eduard has 3 different 1/72 F-14 mask sets... been wondering which one to choose when I place my order. 

On 10/19/2019 at 10:22 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Nope. You would need the original beaver tail. That's why I was thinking about a resin one.

Don't want to sound too much like a smart fool but the old one is actually called a "boat tail". The beaver tails are the leaner ones. Just in case you do later on market a resin set and don't want potential buyers to be confused.

Back to topic: Is there already a release date?

Just scored a GWH 1/72 F-14D for a mere 15 bugs and free shipping and I'd say considering the albeit subtle but still evident flaws in the shape I wouldn't pay a single cent more for it, certainly not the rough 40 bugs it usually goes for. In that respet a hopefully roughly correct 1/72 Tomcat in the 20 bugs range would certaibly be welcome.

Edited by bushande
On 12/26/2019 at 10:49 AM, Paul Boyer said:

I don't use canopy masks. I apply Bare-Metal foil, trim the foil from the frames, spray, and remove. Any adhesive leftover rubbed away. The F-14 canopy is easy to mask with only five "panes."

Never tried that technique, but I doubt I'm that good... steady hands, not my strong point.