New Tool 1/72 F-14A Tomcat from Academy?

So my kits just arrived and of course I had to check them out immediately. So I'd like to share a couple of observations. I can't post any photographies since pretty much everything I own is stored away in anticipation of moving next year.

I can't speak to accuracy, but I have a feeling that the shape of this kit will compare very farourably to the Tamiya kit. I think Academy took a very long and hard look at the Tamiya Tomcat when making this kit.

Panel lines: In photographies they seemed to be very deep. They are not, they look just fine, I think they will look great under a coat of paint and with a wash. There are some areas where the fasteners kind of distort the lines next to them. I don't think it's an issue, but it might be for some.

All versions in one box: This is not true, there are almost all parts to build any version (disregarding the specific differences between the A-cockpit and early and late B-cockpits). But not quite all parts. The ejection seats consist of various parts including the shells of the seats which are extra parts that are not on sprues. Only the A-parts are in this boxing. Not a biggie, just something to consider.

One thing to note is this, the upper and lower main fuselage parts have the ALR-45 bulge at the front of the wing glove, a feature of later Tomcats (A B and D). Early F-14 A would not have this. Sould be easy enough to sand that off. The ALR-45 receivers are there aswell, the front one molded to the lower fuselage part, the other as an extra part. The instructions don't mention it, but for the A depicted in the decal option this should be sanded off.

The only other thing I found is that there are no panel lines depicting the glove vanes.

The wheels. I have this wierd hangup on Tomcat wheels, they are really important to me. If the wheels, especially the hubs look wrong, that destroys the look of a Tomcat kit for me. I don't know why, but that's what it is, I have an obsession with Tomcat wheels. This kit has beautiful wheels and beautiful hubs, I am very very happy whith the wheels in this kit.

So, I am super impressed by this kit and I am really really happy about it, I can't wait to start it. Time to stock up on decals.

5 hours ago, Shadrik said:

The wheels. I have this wierd hangup on Tomcat wheels, they are really important to me. If the wheels, especially the hubs look wrong, that destroys the look of a Tomcat kit for me. I don't know why, but that's what it is, I have an obsession with Tomcat wheels. This kit has beautiful wheels and beautiful hubs, I am very very happy whith the wheels in this kit.

You're not the only one. I've always felt that if you have a good set of wheels and good ejections seats, it makes even an average kit look better. A great example is the Monogram 1/48 F-14. When you stick on a set of resin wheels and seats, it could be passed off as a Hasegawa kit.

I'm with you both on the wheels, and with Darren on the seats. The first thing I look at on a model is the cockpit. A well done cockpit and seats makes an aircraft model stand out, to me, same with the wheels. If the wheels look off, or have to much "bulge" to them, they can ruin a perfect build by having that "somethings off look". That's just me two cents though, with that said I cant wait to get my hands on this kit.

Dave Fassett

The new Academy kit has three sets of main-gear wheels, so you should be happy. The glove vanes are not there, but there is a decal to represent the vanes. The kit has the outside shells of the GRU-7 seats molded separately, but the cushions and the tiny top of the seat for the later seats are on the sprues. There are also two sets of instrument panels and two sets of console panels. Some of the later ECM bumps are molded on, others are add-on. External tanks are given, but many of the really early Tomcat squadrons seemed not to use them. There are short, thin mounts for the tank pylons molded onto the bottom of the intakes; you'll need to shave them off if you don't mount the tanks. Should take about 10 seconds a piece. There are two beaver(?) tails in the kit, one with just the fuel dump, one with an antenna and the fuel dump. Kit also comes with the original exhausts (two sets, open or closed), and a set of the GE nozzles. The subtle differences in the mounts for the exhausts are also provided with two pair of mounts - I don't know what else to call them. I deliver the completed model to FSM Thursday. Full review in a future issue.

21 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

You're not the only one. I've always felt that if you have a good set of wheels and good ejections seats, it makes even an average kit look better. A great example is the Monogram 1/48 F-14. When you stick on a set of resin wheels and seats, it could be passed off as a Hasegawa kit.

Oh, yes, the seat aswell. I think we are in the golden age for scale model Tomcat afficionados 🙂

One thing I see is they have you use a small pitot tube part (D2) on the port side where there should be a small AOA sensor. Wouldn’t be a big deal if your using a aftermarket metal alpha probe for the nose as I comes with a AOA sensor too. 

and they also don’t tell to sand off the GPS antenna on the spin as well. They where only present for upgraded Tomcats that could carry LANTRIN. (Starting in 1996). 

otherwise this looks like a knock out for academy as it’s cheap ($31.49 at spruebrothers) and it looks pretty good detail wise.  

Edited by achterkirch