Stripping gold plating from kit parts

I have turned my terrace on a open top chemical lab as I unsuccessfully tried to strip Tamiya Acrylic spray paint, some other HW Store acrylic paint both with isopropyl alcohol, then with a bath of caustic soda then I also used the strongest de-greaser made before the EU laws started to care about this planet and its people health yet that dang paint is still winning...now I have another problem as Fujimi and Aoshima from time to time decide to plate parts with a gold tint aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand caustic soda isn't doing the job, it barely scratched Fujimi gold paint and didn't do a single dent on Aoshima one.

What's the trick to get rid of it considering the fact that the mixture I made is so strong that melts silver plating in a matter of seconds?

Luigi

Edited by Mizar

I have the same problem for some motorcycle kit parts.   You can use over cleaner, bleach, DOT-3 brake fluid, or even Coke as recommended here.   Haven't gotten around to testing any of them, though. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944896-removing-chrome-plating/

Maybe give it a try and let us know your results?

I have the same problem for some motorcycle kit parts.   You can use over cleaner, bleach, DOT-3 brake fluid, or even Coke as recommended here.   Haven't gotten around to testing any of them, though. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944896-removing-chrome-plating/

Maybe give it a try and let us know your results?

I have no problems with chrome parts, it's the gold ones that are pissing me off, same thing for Toyota GT One I sprayed with Red Tamiya Acrylic can nearly 20 years ago and the paint doesn't want to go off

Luigi

I have no problems with chrome parts, it's the gold ones that are pissing me off, same thing for Toyota GT One I sprayed with Red Tamiya Acrylic can nearly 20 years ago and the paint doesn't want to go off

Luigi

OMG That was 20 years ago!!!
It doesnt hardly seem possible 😞

For the Tamiya spray painted stuff you might try Tamiya or Gunze lacquer thinners. Tamiya's spray paints are lacquers and their thinner is mild enough not to attack plastic. I have used Gunze and Tamiya lacquer thinners to remove airbrushed Tamiya, Mr Color and MRP paints. Used a stiff brush and scrubbed it right off.

For the Tamiya spray painted stuff you might try Tamiya or Gunze lacquer thinners. Tamiya's spray paints are lacquers and their thinner is mild enough not to attack plastic. I have used Gunze and Tamiya lacquer thinners to remove airbrushed Tamiya, Mr Color and MRP paints. Used a stiff brush and scrubbed it right off.

I've done the same, well, with Mr Color Thinner. As noted, doesn't harm the model.

Chrome needs to be stripped to remove the underlying clearcoat that obscures detail. Do the gold parts suffer the same issue? If not, perhaps just prime and apply the finish coats?

What's the trick to get rid of it considering the fact that the mixture I made is so strong that melts silver plating in a matter of seconds?

Dude! 😱

I've done the same, well, with Mr Color Thinner. As noted, doesn't harm the model.

Chrome needs to be stripped to remove the underlying clearcoat that obscures detail. Do the gold parts suffer the same issue? If not, perhaps just prime and apply the finish coats?

Dude! 😱

I called it the T1000nator

Luigi