Modelcollect B-52G in progress

Hello

I am building the Modelcollect B-52G kit and I have read the long topic about the -H. I am ready to improve at least the tail, the forward area and the strakelets.

As I want to make one of the 7 CALCM equipped "Secret Squirrel" aircraft for the January 17th, 1991 mission I have some questions.

- There were 5 or 6 CALCM for each B-52G : so where do they be carried under the 6 position dedicated launch pylon? Three in front or another combination for each side?

- I have seen the pylon without any C/ALCM and the least I can say is that is not a flat area. So, are there some plate to improve aerodynamics when there is not any C/ALCM mounted?

- Finally, when the rotary launcher in the bomb bay was not used, could it be replaced by some sort of fuel tank to improve the range?

Regards.

Patrick

See the excellent Desert Storm site for information on where the CALCMs were loaded. Good luck with your build.

Thank you very much. Perfect for my first question. I will chose the six missile configuration as a Cartesian.

Patrick

No additional fuel tank in the bay...the B-1 can do that but not the B-52.

Looking forward to watching your progress!

Jonah

Thank you for answer 2. Could the rotating launcher stay empty or take off?

Patrick

Yes, the launcher and it’s supports are removable. I would leave them out and depict an empty bomb bay for such a long range mission. 

Also, I’m not aware of a cover or fairing for empty stations on the external pylon. 

Which of the 7 jets are you building?

Jonah

Yes, the launcher and it’s supports are removable. I would leave them out and depict an empty bomb bay for such a long range mission. 

Also, I’m not aware of a cover or fairing for empty stations on the external pylon. 

Which of the 7 jets are you building?

Jonah

Good news for the launcher

Bad news about the pylon as it seems very difficult to scratchbuild this part.

I am building "El Lobo II" as I have the decals from an Italeri (former-AMT) kit. 

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, JakubJakepilot said:

Hi, good luck with your build. No idea if you seen this, but I also made this page about Buff config - https://dstorm.eu/pages/build_instructions/b-52g_info_en.html Hope this helps a bit.

Jakub

Thank you Jakub

This is interesting. Actually I am scratchbuilding the tail and the wing root extension. This is really time consuming. So far 45 hours and nothing is really assembled except the engine nacelles.

Patrick

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 12:05 AM, Gator52 said:

No additional fuel tank in the bay...the B-1 can do that but not the B-52.

Looking forward to watching your progress!

Jonah

Hi

Here she is. Not perfect but I tried to improve the basic kit.

Patrick

m_571246426_0.jpg

m_571246427_0.jpg

m_571246428_0.jpg

m_571246429_0.jpg

30 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Whats wrong with the tail?

Hello

From 1977 every B-52G were modified within Avionic Defense Systems Phase VI with a 40 inch plug and as it was missing I modified the kit as follows.

Patrick

m_571331045_0.jpg

m_571331046_0.jpg

Great work Patrick!  I plan on building a late B-52G also and your tail extension is just the sort of graphic I need to fix mine.  Thank you!  The model looks very nice also!  K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
On 1/5/2020 at 4:13 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

Oh right I see.
So Modelcollect didnt have the tail plug extension on their late version?

Does the correction set include this?

I do not know about the new boxes.

Patrick

On 1/7/2020 at 7:29 PM, Dutch said:

Great work Patrick!  I plan on building a late B-52G also and your tail extension is just the sort of graphic I need to fix mine.  Thank you!  The model looks very nice also!  K/r, Dutch

Thank you.

The extension came from my old Italeri kit as the decals.

Patrick

On 1/5/2020 at 10:13 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

Oh right I see.
So Modelcollect didnt have the tail plug extension on their late version?

Does the correction set include this?

The G correction set supplied by MC corrected the nose, tail gun (with 40 inch plug) and strakelets (wing root fairings). Most also came with new flaps with tracks since the original kit flaps didn’t.

2 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

The G correction set supplied by MC corrected the nose, tail gun (with 40 inch plug) and strakelets (wing root fairings). Most also came with new flaps with tracks since the original kit flaps didn’t.

Does that mean the early B-52G "Broken Arrow" does not have the longer fuselage?

Regards,

Murph

3 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

I have modified the strakelets as well by cutting part of my old Italeri kit and a time consuming sanding operation. 

m_571520794_0.jpg

m_571520795_0.jpg

Patrick

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Does that mean the early B-52G "Broken Arrow" does not have the longer fuselage?

Regards,

Murph

I used this box with Italeri decals to get "El Lobo II"

m_571719133_0.jpg

Patrick

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Regards,

Murph

That’s correct, Murph. The MC early G properly omitted the 40 inch plug and added the optical lense for the tail gun.