Testors is Gone - International Sales Affected

Just saw this via Marsh Creek Miniatures, but apparently Rust-oleum Corp is ending the Testors brands, with the last day for orders being Oct 31st 2019.

This includes all Testors Corporation sub brands, including Model Master.

--Update: Apparently this is international sales only, US/Canada is unaffected at this time

Edited by mawz
Found more info

Ever since Testers decided to stop producing the Model Master paint line, I could care less if they live or die.  Sorry for the people who may lose their jobs as a result of this.

Edited by B.Sin

According to Aaron Skinner at FSM, International Distribution is what will stop...and yes, this includes Canada.  Aaron got his information directly from Rustoleum.  Also, Testors no longer offers the Aztek airbrushes and the MM line is completely gone.

Richard Marmo, IPMS/USA #2

So Rustoleum buys the paint line because they want to be the only ones producing small-batch paints. 

Then, they eliminate MM, cutting off dedicated modelers who've used it for years.  What is the motivation?  Is it some self-righteous move by corporate greenie-fiends who want to "save the planet" and decree that all enamel paints are evil?

Or, is it because some guy who built models stole their girlfriends?

I cannot, for the life of me, sort that it's a "business" decision.  Since they own the rights to the paints, no one can pick it up and produce MM paints? 

No, I am NOT interested in converting to acrylics.  No, I disagree that enamels are "bad for gaia" (eyeroll).

Rustoleum can go suck it.  Just another corporation that has now manipulated the market to their satisfaction and limited their production line---this is common for post 1990 businesses who've hired post-graduate weenies who studied economics from a comic book who are all on board with "maximum profits by ONLY producing the high-selling items".

"We lose money on the hobby paint because we don't sell that much of it and it's expensive to produce"  PHAGH!   I have a large assortment of cusswords for them. 

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

So Rustoleum buys the paint line because they want to be the only ones producing small-batch paints. 

Then, they eliminate MM, cutting off dedicated modelers who've used it for years.  What is the motivation?  Is it some self-righteous move by corporate greenie-fiends who want to "save the planet" and decree that all enamel paints are evil?

I cannot, for the life of me, sort that it's a "business" decision.  Since they own the rights to the paints, no one can pick it up and produce MM paints? 

No, I am NOT interested in converting to acrylics.  No, I disagree that enamels are "bad for gaia" (eyeroll).

Rustoleum can go suck it.  Just another corporation that has now manipulated the market to their satisfaction and limited their production line---this is common for post 1990 businesses who've hired post-graduate weenies who studied economics from a comic book who are all on board with "maximum profits by ONLY producing the high-selling items".

"We lose money on the hobby paint because we don't sell that much of it and it's expensive to produce"  PHAGH!   I have a large assortment of cusswords for them. 

Me too!

No, Testors and Rust-oleum are owned by RPM and Testors has been part of RPM since 1984.   

Businesses are going to sell products that are profitable and can't sell products that aren't profitable.   I have no doubt that Testors has been losing market share for years.  With paint like Tamiya, Vallejo, MRP, Gunze, Hataka, Mission Models, and many more available a lot of modelers just don't use Testors paints now.   

So you say.  Enamels are best.  As years pass, the acrylics peel away.  I agree that they may be losing market share but it has more to do with sky-is-falling environmental BS imposed by over-controlling governments rather than modelbuilder preference.  Plus nanny parents who don't want their kiddly diddlies using that "toxic" enamel paint (based entirely on ignorance) as fumes from acrylics are as toxic, if not more so. 

I'm not buying your specious position. 

Save your rage, it was a fake document

From the Fine Scale Modeler website...a direct cut and paste:

Guys,

We followed up on this rumor and here is the statement from Vincent Pierri, public relations for Rust Oleum, the parent company of Testors: 

"Rust Oleum is no longer selling the Testors brand internationally, through distributors, but continues sales and distribution in the United States and Canada without interruption."

Aaron Skinner

Senior Editor

FineScale Modeler

As you can see, it will still be available in Canada and the U.S.

Just saw this via Marsh Creek Miniatures, but apparently Rust-oleum Corp is ending the Testors brands, with the last day for orders being Oct 31st 2019.

This includes all Testors Corporation sub brands, including Model Master.

--Update: Apparently this is international sales only, US/Canada is unaffected at this time

Shared from my good buddy, Brain Marbrey's Facebook page, "Gunfighter Models",

Today I was forwarded a post from the Grumpy Scale Modelers group stating Testors/Rust-Oleum was discontinuing the Model Mater enamel paint line.

After speaking directly to Testors today, this is absolutely NOT true, nor has Testors or Rust-Oleum issued any such statement.

In 2017, Testors did issue a statement stating they had discontinued the MM2 line, but their standard line of Military FS colors is under no threat of being discontinued.

Steve

Shared from my good buddy, Brain Marbrey's Facebook page, "Gunfighter Models",

Today I was forwarded a post from the Grumpy Scale Modelers group stating Testors/Rust-Oleum was discontinuing the Model Mater enamel paint line.

After speaking directly to Testors today, this is absolutely NOT true, nor has Testors or Rust-Oleum issued any such statement.

In 2017, Testors did issue a statement stating they had discontinued the MM2 line, but their standard line of Military FS colors is under no threat of being discontinued.

Steve

Discontinuing the entire line versus halting international sales are two different things.  Both statements can be true.

Edited by Dave Williams

Shipping issues might be some basis. Perhaps also international competition. At the end of the day, there was some decision based on return on investment and opportunity costs. I can't imagine the Testors business moves RPM's needle very much. This does beg the question why RPM acquired Floquil, Testors, and whatever other hobby paint lines they gobbled up. :dontknow:

At any rate, they lost me to Mr Color years ago. They're very much in a different class

Shipping issues might be some basis. Perhaps also international competition. At the end of the day, there was some decision based on return on investment and opportunity costs. I can't imagine the Testors business moves RPM's needle very much. This does beg the question why RPM acquired Floquil, Testors, and whatever other hobby paint lines they gobbled up. :dontknow:

At any rate, they lost me to Mr Color years ago. They're very much in a different class

Considering that the consumer lines portfolio which testors is part of accounts for about 30% of their profits, and that line also carries the rustoleum, DAP and few other big name brands available at the big box stores, I would say that model paints are an infinitesimal amount compared to the other flagship brands.  I guess they just wanted to take out competitors but only spurred on more.  Not all great as the old brands but there seems to be as many of not more choice.  Wonder what their bean counters think now?

So you say.  Enamels are best.  As years pass, the acrylics peel away.  I agree that they may be losing market share but it has more to do with sky-is-falling environmental BS imposed by over-controlling governments rather than modelbuilder preference.  Plus nanny parents who don't want their kiddly diddlies using that "toxic" enamel paint (based entirely on ignorance) as fumes from acrylics are as toxic, if not more so. 

I'm not buying your specious position. 

I didn't say acrylics are better, personally I am not a fan of most water based acrylics or enamels.   I predominantly use lacquers like Gunze and MRP.     MRP is relatively new, but has 400 colors in the lacquer range and they have a water based acrylic range as well.   In my opinion enamels are the least useful paints for airbrushing since they take a long time to dry and have to have an acrylic or lacquer clearcoat if you want to use most weathering stuff over them.   That's why I mostly use lacquer, since things like Tamiya panel liner and oil paints don't react with them.  

On 10/31/2019 at 4:04 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

So is the Model Master paint line still for sale, not being distributed in the US or what?

They are not going to sell it internationally, but it will still be available in the US and Canada. That's my understanding of all of this.

11 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

They are not going to sell it internationally, but it will still be available in the US and Canada. That's my understanding of all of this.

As I posted before the reset: looking at their updated website, they still exist, but the color list is gutted.  No more enamel 36118, 36270, 34079, etc. Only 29 Model Master I colors remain. In Acryl many like 36375 are gone. Plus, no more metalizers.