"Best" 1/32 Scale Airplane Kit

Hi All,

I'm probably starting an impossible thread/topic here, but I'd really like to hear what you all think.  I'd like to know what you think is the best 1/32 airplane.  Yes, I know "best" is a hugely variable term...are we talking about most accurate, best fitting, best engineered, easiest to put together, etc., etc., etc.?  Then there is the subject, are we talking props, jets. multi engine, etc., etc., etc....?

I only have one 1/32 kit, and that is the Trumpeter SU-30MKK Flanker G, which I know is not even close to a 'good' kit, so don't ask me why I bought that airplane, I just did.  But I'd like to buy, for my next 1/32 airplane, THE best airplane model.  I guess, for the purposes of my thread, I'm referring to best as the best fitting, and most accurate, such as it is.  I know that no kit is perfect in ANY area, when considering things overall, but I'd like to have an airplane where there is as close to zero need for putty or messing around with parts fitting together.  I realize this is putting me in Tamiya territory, which is fine with me, unless there is another manufacturer that has that kind of fit.  I'm guessing that what I'm going to hear as the answer to my question is probably the Tamiya F4U Corsair or the F-16 or maybe the Mk. IXc Spitfire, but maybe I'm wrong.  Ideally, I just want the airplane to basically build itself so I can concentrate on paint and weathering.  Again, maybe I'll hear about an airplane model that I've not heard about or considered before.  If the consensus is one of the airplanes I've mentioned, that's fine with me.  But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!  

Please help me figure out the answer to my silly question...and thanks in advance!! 

Any of the new 32nd scale Tamiya kits are a class apart from everyone else.    Their Corsairs are amazing.   

I'd have to agree, if nothing more than on principle. Before I stopped building 1/32 scale planes, one of the last kits I built was the Tamiya A6M5. Man what a kit. Things went together like a dream and being a Zero, Mr. Tamiya made doubly sure that is was accurate. When I stopped building 1/32 scale, a good percentage of the kits I had in my stash were Tamiya. F-15J, F-16 Thunderbirds, F-16CJ, F-4EJ, Mitsubishi A6M2. I had already built an F-4J and F-15E. While earlier kits, they were still great looking and fun as H&%$ to build. Many years earlier I had built the venerable of F-14.

So, if you want high accuracy and a fun build, you can't go wrong with Tamiya. There are other manufacturers that have made some decent 1/32 kits. Revell has made a few and can't be beat for price. Special Hobby, Trumpeter, Zoukei-Mura, Hasegawa, Kinetic and a newer player is HK Models. I've made a few Revell, Special Hobby, Trumpeter and Hasegawa 1/32 kits. Most were OK. All had accuracy and fit issues.

Anyway, I know I didn't give you specifics, but I hope this helped a bit.

Wow, guys, thanks for the responses, all!  Your suggestions are not surprising, but it's good to have reinforcement of the answers I honestly expected to receive.

My wife and I don't give each other gifts on our birthdays, nor do we exchange gifts on Christmas, but it's good to know that if she should ever have a desire to do so, I can give her a blanket list of models ☺️  Looks like any of those big Tamiyas would meet my needs!  Thanks again, all.  

If you like big twin engine WWII stuff and you don't want to break the bank, the Revell He-111, Ju-88, and He-219 are wonderful models. Built straight OOB there is enough detail to satisfy most modelers and build fairly hassle free. Plenty of aftermarket should you desire. What's really nice is they can be found for between $50-$70 depending on where you get them from. That's a lot of model for less then the cost of many 1/48 kits. Their FW-190 F8 is quite nice as is their new P-51D (both under $50). No doubt Tamiya is the class of the field but not cheap, especially if you want multiple copies of a certain AC type.

Enjoy and happy modeling!

If you like big twin engine WWII stuff and you don't want to break the bank, the Revell He-111, Ju-88, and He-219 are wonderful models. Built straight OOB there is enough detail to satisfy most modelers and build fairly hassle free. Plenty of aftermarket should you desire. What's really nice is they can be found for between $50-$70 depending on where you get them from. That's a lot of model for less then the cost of many 1/48 kits. Their FW-190 F8 is quite nice as is their new P-51D (both under $50). No doubt Tamiya is the class of the field but not cheap, especially if you want multiple copies of a certain AC type.

+1 on the twin engine stuff. I did Revell's Ju-88 A1 converted to an A4 (this was well before Revell released their own A4). There are a few rough spots in that kit, i.e. some fit issues and you have to deal with some thick sprue attachment points on small parts, but when finished they are impressive kits and large!

Edited by Mstor

The newer Revell ME262's are fantastic. I have two "B" models, and the new "A" kit, and will get two more single seaters. The Sturmbock is really nice. Got to get two more! I really like the newer Hasegawa Zeros! I think they are easily the best zero in kit form. The Kittyhawk P39 is fantastic. I liked the HK DO335, but is not as good as the ZM so some folks say. I want another real bad. The Mosquito from HK is nice as well, but one must remember it's a Canadian built airframe, so it's slightly different. The ZM kits are fantastic, but takes awhile to build them. I'm still a fan of some of the old big scale Hasegawa kits. The P26 is still a favorite. Never had my hands on a Wing Nuts kit, but many love them. The Tamiya kits are nice, but over priced in my mind. Guess HK and Revell are my favorites with a kit here and there thrown. Like the Tamiya Corsairs and Hasegawa Zeros.

Gary

+1 on the twin engine stuff. I did Revell's Ju-88 A1 converted to an A4 (this was well before Revell released their own A4. There are a few rough spots in that kit, i.e. some fit issues and you have to deal with some thick sprue attachment points on small parts, but when finished they are impressive kits and large!

Honestly a kit I'd like to do someday. Maybe the HE111 as well. I love a big scale Hudson!

Gary

The newer Revell ME262's are fantastic. I have two "B" models, and the new "A" kit, and will get two more single seaters. The Sturmbock is really nice. Got to get two more...

Gary

Yep agree Gary. I have this one in the stash...

Related image

...looks outstanding. Haven't done anything but fondle it yet but it looks amazing. You have this one...

Related image

? You like it? I haven't seen it yet but its on my list of "wants".

Happy modeling!

Great 'other' thoughts, guys, thanks.  

I remember back in the early 1970s, I used to get, when I was still a little guy, the Squadron Shop magazine, catalogue.  They were at the cutting edge of mail order way back then, and they had made a 1/32 F-86 Sabre they 'Kit of the Year', and I know I had that model.  I don't think I ever built it, and I don't know or recall whatever happened to the small stash of kits I had 50 years ago.  I can't recall who the manufacturer was. though I'm sure it wasn't Tamiya.

Yep agree Gary. I have this one in the stash...

Related image

...looks outstanding. Haven't done anything but fondle it yet but it looks amazing. You have this one...

Related image

? You like it? I haven't seen it yet but its on my list of "wants".

Happy modeling!

First of all Revell got the engines right, unlike another. What first caught my eye was the panel lines. Almost too fine if you choose to Bondo them. I got mine for $39 at Sprue Brothers. They've gone up alittle. 

Gary

Great 'other' thoughts, guys, thanks.  

I remember back in the early 1970s, I used to get, when I was still a little guy, the Squadron Shop magazine, catalogue.  They were at the cutting edge of mail order way back then, and they had made a 1/32 F-86 Sabre they 'Kit of the Year', and I know I had that model.  I don't think I ever built it, and I don't know or recall whatever happened to the small stash of kits I had 50 years ago.  I can't recall who the manufacturer was. though I'm sure it wasn't Tamiya.

The F86 made me remember another really nice big scale kit. The Kittyhawk OV10a is very nice. Wish Kittyhawk would do an OV1 series!

Gary

Almost needless to say, is that almost all of the 1:32 WNW kits are awesome, and I'm very anxiously looking forward to the new Dr.I kits from them.

Good point, I forgot to add WNW when I gave my vote to Tamiya.  Wingnut is awesome but is limited (with the exception of the upcoming Lancasters) to WW1 subjects.  I too am looking forward to the Dr.I.   Hooray No Rigging!

Any of the new 32nd scale Tamiya kits are a class apart from everyone else.    Their Corsairs are amazing.   

I would agree, I have most of the late 1/32 kits in my stash, and even though I'm not a Corsair nut, I have to say the Tamiya 1/32 Corsair kits are fantastic!.