STRIKE TEST TOMCAT IN WORK

Tamiya 1/48.  OOB, but out of a few boxes since I have to use parts from the D kit to make a late A.  This will be Salty Dog 202 in the end.

OOB cockpit, Milliput seatbelts.

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tatuskocs/media/DSCN8726.jpg.html]DSCN8726.jpg[/URL]

DSCN8725.jpg

DSCN8723.jpg

DSCN8724.jpg

DSCN8720.jpg

DSCN8722.jpg

DSCN8719.jpg

DSCN8721.jpg

DSCN8718.jpg

DSCN8716.jpg

4 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

Looks good so far. But I think you have installed the RIO’s upper panel upside down. 

Mark

Yep, I did. 

Someone already pointed that out and I flipped it around last week. I knew something was off. I couldn’t see the forest through the trees. 

Cheers

Collin

• 1 month later...

Photobucket is done with me.  On to Imgur.

My Tomcat progress, hope to get some more done over the week or so of holidays and slow down at work.

Rapid black based then the standard late 80's/early 90's TPS grey scheme on this NAWC Strike Test F-14A (202).  I thinly coat the black base with the primary grey, then go "up and down" one grey scale for some slight weathering and paint maintenance work.

Cheers

Collin

TB1Sbcd.jpg

WMdaGHb.jpg

JursXu6.jpg

Gh27kjq.jpg

8PbeORM.jpg

wD0LTkU.jpg

dxizrvg.jpg

fH3ZN56.jpg

irEb8WI.jpg

2rFnfzA.jpg

AjVUxG0.jpg

Thats really nice looking weathering, you nailed the subtle look to it in parts.  The fun is in the weathering, and this must've been a blast!  Theres a photo of an A-6E Intruder thats from the first Gulf War that is really weathered and dirty, great looking bird!

Depending on when you are model, the canopy frame on SD 202 was the lighter gloss grey. This was from at least 1988 to the early 90s. I don't remember the story behind that or why it was mismatched for so long. I have a picture somewhere that shows it pretty clearly, if I can find it I'll scan and post it.

1 hour ago, CJ Martin said:

Depending on when you are model, the canopy frame on SD 202 was the lighter gloss grey. This was from at least 1988 to the early 90s. I don't remember the story behind that or why it was mismatched for so long. I have a picture somewhere that shows it pretty clearly, if I can find it I'll scan and post it.

Yeah, believe she had the discolored canopy after the GBU-16 testing my ref photos show. For sure after she had her orange panels removed and the STRIKE lighting bolt markings applied she had the different colored canopy frame. Buddy of mine has nice close ups if 202 during GBU-24 testing. One photo she has a normal canopy, the next a darker one with marked out names...obviously a recent replacement. 

Collin

Gloss coat and decals complete (except the slime lights....doing that tonight).

It's funny how the gloss coat completely changes the look of a TPS painted aircraft (or really any model aircraft).  The standard idea is that gloss coat darkens paint while flat coat lightens it.  After the slime lights tonight, a panel line wash of various grey shades will be put on.  Then a semi-matt acrylic barrier will go do in prep for some light oil weathering.  After that is all complete....flat coat.  The Tomcat will look a lot different then.  I saw this same effect on my 1/48 Prowler build. 

Cheers

Collin

ExPI1SM.jpg

cvEkQLZ.jpg

ELw092U.jpg

Xe08RY8.jpg

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Xdkj0R9"><a href="https://imgur.com/Xdkj0R9">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Xdkj0R9.jpg

Edited by Collin
6 hours ago, Whiskey said:

What paints are you working with Collin?

MM enamel (36375) and Hataka laq based (35237 upper grey). 

Plus a bunch if various FS greys in the AK RC paint line for the shading and touch up work. 

Cheers

Collin

AK panel line wash (deep dark grey) over a base of Future, then a shot of MM acrylic semi-gloss to seal that in.  Next step will be some oil weathering...then all the small bits that seem to take forever.

Cheers and HNY

Collin

nsW8RkV.jpg

TQfxW2a.jpg

Q8rsobi.jpg

ISgRpo5.jpg

wwFfSNk.jpg

bBBlYQg.jpg

er5XRw8.jpg

dwWjJzW.jpg

aZ8hw5H.jpg

aAn0hmO.jpg

General grime of oils  (dark brown and Starship Filth) applied, then a acrylic flat coat (this weathering technique is still new to me).  Removed the engine exhaust masking, canopy masking removal will be next.  These aircraft didn't get as messy as carrier based aircraft, but there was no way to keep a Grumman product that clean even shore based. 

Now comes the fun part....all the bits and pieces (gear, pylons, weapons, antennas, detail painting and such).  This part always seems to take forever.

Cheers

Collin

or0EpY9.jpg

Er4SSHm.jpg

upxiInA.jpg

zixLvkW.jpg

Q1mLSgX.jpg

aHvXEvm.jpg

9GHi4iC.jpg

Some oil paints, I used the two mentioned above. A little AK enamel thinner, some large flat brushes and some paper towels. Over a semi-gloss acrylic base, dab on some small spots of oil (I use a toothpick) and with a slightly damp brush start dabbing the oil paint so that it starts blending on the surface. Work it around the surface until you are happy. A few things I have noticed:  1.  It will level itself as you work in onto the surface, 2.  Small dabs go a long way, you can always add more, 3. If you add too much oil paint, put the brush in thinner, Pat it dry and go back to dabbing the area...repeat this process until you have the tone you are looking for. 

Now that I have flat coated the surface, I may add a few more streaks here and there as I finish her up. 

Go to 12:45 in the following video, it shows the process. 

Cheers

Collin