Moebius 1/8 Scale 2001 EVA POD

Well, I decided to bust this thing open and have a crack at it. I'm a little reluctant to start this thread because it seems like a mark of doom for me to never finish models I have build threads for. The only kits I've finished in the past year were mostly things I didn't do a thread on so....well lets hope I can break that curse. If anything, maybe some of the steps I use along the way will give some ideas of what to do or not to do when one decides to build their own. So we'll see how it goes.

My plan is to at minimum to light the interior and the headlights' That should be relatively simple since there is a lot of room to work with and nothing goes blinky blinky and I was able to light my Star Destroyer, which was tons more complicated with fiber optics. I'm working on trying to figure out a motorized door mechanism, that's phase 2 of my hopeful plans and phase 3 would be to have a motorized rotatable base. That part shouldn't be too complicated either. The door mechanism would be the most complicated thing I've attempted. 

Here is the box art and let me tell you, this kit is massive! I'll try to get more pics up as soon as I can but it's not as easy to post build shots now that PB is totally useless now. I'll try to keep up with this though for those that are interested. I will say for certain I can HIGHLY recommend this kit. The fit so far is top notch.

Wish me luck and as always, critiques, comments and suggestions are always welcome!

Bill

EVA box small.jpg

One of the pitfalls I'd learned about by watching Aztek Dummy's incredible build on Youtube (his has working monitors! you have to check it out) is that the decals for the instrument panels don't fit well around the buttons. So my solution was to remove the buttons before decaling, and then glue them back over the decals. This SHOULD allow the decals to lay flat and also make it much easier to paint the buttons without having to mask them. This might turn out to be a really stupid idea, but if it works it should be a valid solution. The buttons were remarkably easy to remove with a good sharp blade. And I only cut myself twice....so there's that. 

EVA Panel Small 1.jpg

Edited by niart17
added text (lost original from forum reset)

Here is the panel with all the buttons removed. I'll just clean up the edges a little but they will be covered with the buttons so they don't have to be perfect. The grey stuff is surface primer to fill a small slip of the knife blade.

EVA Panel Small 2.jpg

Edited by niart17

And finally the state of the interior currently. This is just taped together and you can see the fit of the panels, and kit in general is really great. I'll create some light boxes similar to how Aztek Dummy did on his build and illuminate the switches. I may try to make clear resin cast of all the buttons so the transparent color paint will show up better when back lit but I'll have to see how hard it would be to make those molds. Thanks for checking it out and as always, comments, crituques, and suggestions (and even the hardy boos and tomato throwing) is always welcome.

Bill

1422106077_EVAinteriorsmall.jpg.7d70d5cecacbd1ef08bcbd8ec5ed880e.jpg

Edited by niart17

For those not familiar with the subject matter, here is a shot of the interior from the movie. You can see the various colors used for the buttons. There are several ways one could attempt to replicate this and I'm going to go the route of painting each bank of buttons with a transparent paint. From what I've read, the real switches were different colors and all had white bulbs so that's the look I'm going for.

pod-interior Dave Small.jpg

Well I managed to squeeze in a little work on this between handing out candy to the local monsters and bringing my daughter out on her quest. I was able to lay out the shapes for all the main light boxes and test fit one to make sure my depths were going to be ok and fit. As you can see in this mock up, there is a TON of room to work with for lighting and such so that makes things much easier to plan out. Still kicking the idea of a door mechanism. I know it can be done, just trying to figure the best way. I know I can get the mechanics of it but electronics are definitely not my area.

93063140_EVAtestinterior1.jpg.a9894cdf54a5a8894cd718646b3233f3.jpg

I plan on placing the panel decals this weekend so hope to have some better progress shots soon.

Edited by niart17

Spent some time this weekend getting the panel decals on. I'm pretty sure it made it easier to get them on by removing the buttons but it still was a pain lining them up with the corresponding cut-outs. I didn't do the front center console yet as I'm not sure how I want to tackle the small red screens, but overall I think they came out good. I didn't use any setting solution or anything since there are some areas that are super thin line and I was afraid it would tear. since each is one big panel I don't think it really needs solution. Now on to getting the buttons looking right and setting up all the lights. 

Comments, critiques, ridicule, snuffing, suggestions, etc... always welcome.

43373720_decalinteriorsmall.jpg.b525c3f80282e3ca60c4ed5625d4864c.jpg

Edited by niart17

I like it.

and just so you know, I spent all day friday cursing your name. because I had to watch al 5 of the aztec dummy videos. I was up till 1 am 😉 totally worth it

Edited by dylan
4 hours ago, dylan said:

I like it.

and just so you know, I spent all day friday cursing your name. because I had to watch al 5 of the aztec dummy videos. I was up till 1 am 😉 totally worth it

"did I do that?' :dontknow:  Yes his videos are well done. Very talented builder and always has a good amount of information to look for when building something. They can be a little long at times but like you said, worth it.

I really like this Bill - that's a really great job on the cockpit - or cabin, or what ever its supposed to be called. The control consoles look awesome and well worth the time and care you took getting the decals on. They also look prime for lighting - almost seems to go with out saying though.

I also like the worn look of the floor too

It's pretty big - hope you have room or it!

Looking forward to seeing more of this rather interesting subject

Thanks! Well, I ran into a few minor issues while painting the buttons. first issue is I noticed I must have not allowed the clear coat to thoroughly dry before placing the decals and there seems to a very small amount of cracking underneath the decal in a few spots. I don't think it will be noticeable once everything is matt-cleared and closed up inside the pod, but I am keeping an eye on to make sure there's no further signs of something bad happening. 

As for the buttons, I tried to use food coloring mixed in to future to get the translucent look I want. It's a little tricky getting such a thin media to not pool up so I may switch to try adding it to some Velejo clear instead of future. but overall I think it's OK, not great. This first set of buttons is in an obscure location that can't be seen very well from any view so I'm not overly worried about these. Also, since it was only a future mixture, I couldn't use any solvents to clean off any stray brush strokes when trying to paint the black separation between buttons (it's a very tiny gap to paint). I'll either have to paint the lines prior to color tints OR put a good clear finish over it to make cleaning them up easier. But at least this is SOME progress. I just hope I can improve on this for the more visible areas.

EVA Blue Button tes smallt.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a whole lot of progress on this but I did get the arms assembled and the main colors painted. I really dread doing black on white masking paint jobs as you never know if you've totally masked it right until the reveal. Hard to see in these pics but the inside areas of all of the joints are black. the instructions don't tell you to do that but all the photos I've seen seem to suggest the real prop was painted that way. Now on to the detail painting of the arms and the many small small small decals. 

20191229_195933.jpg

On 12/31/2019 at 8:41 PM, as205 said:

Great work!   I haven't picked one of these up, but seeing this build I just might do it.

Yes you should. It's really a great kit. So far everything fits together really well. The only minor issue I have is the kind of typical too large connecting points for parts to sprues. That seems to be pretty common for Moebius. Not sure why they tend to over do it on them but like I said, that's a very minor gripe.

Bill