Sorry if this has been discussed in my absences....

I've been using this stuff for about 30 years, seriously.  Not as the main filler, I use CA glue to fill the major stuff, but for the final step to eliminate the final little flaws, it's always been totally perfect for they way I build.  Perfect.

Got around to opening a tube in the new label/appearance yesterday (I've been building a LOT less recently).  Thought it was badly mixed....ended up emptying half the tube (seriously!) before realizing the whole tube was the same....

....went online and found they changed the formula a year ago?  Man, this stuff is totally unusable!! I tried, I really did!!!

Done.  Gone.  

For a guy who's been using Model Master enamels and Squadron White Putty since Reagan was president (true!), I'm feeling quite put out....

Well then that explains everything.   I bought the stuff after seeing a lot of positive feedback on the net... and I hate the stuff.  I cant get it to bond well no matter what I do.  I gave up and just started using dissolved sprue shavings. 

I love Tamiya fine grain putty for general work.  I also use Milliput on more significant gaps, to me it contours easier than CA.  Lastly Vallejo 'Plastic Putty' in the long nose tube is a gem for tight spots.  Best wishes

Longtime Squadron putty user here as well. Loved the old formula and saw no reason to change it. If they (Squadron) wanted to market a faster drying putty then by all means make one. But I wish they had continued the older putty as well. No doubt, this new formula is completely different for sure and it takes time to get used to it. You can't use it/apply it like you did the old stuff. Once you get used to it,  I will say that it doesn't shrink like the old formula, it does dry much faster, sands and polishes easier, but it takes more applications to deal with larger seams and such. Others air miles may vary obviously.

Personally,  I'd like to be able to get my old Squadron putty back and have this new stuff in the toolbox for odd jobs here and there.

Happy modeling!

Personally, I don't understand why companies think they need to fix things that aren't broke.  New and improved often means "we found a cheaper way to make it, sorry it works like crap now".

Guess I'll have to find a new putty when I use up my tubes of Tamiya white. Have never quite gotten the hang of using CA glue for a filler. I use AVES Apoxie Sculpt for larger areas. It is like Milliput in that it is a two part epoxy that can be smoothed with water, but it has a much finer grain and it comes in jars so it lasts much longer that Milliput.

In this case it might actually not be their fault....as I started digging, some folks mentioned they might have been forced to change by the EPA....either way, it's totally ended my business.  That was the last thing I was still getting from Squadron.

Y'all are correct.  The old White Stuff was perfect for fine joints/seams because it didn't crack under stress.  The new version is useless.  Squadron even sent me a couple of replacement tubes when I complained about it, claiming the manufacturer had a problem with production.  Didn't matter.  Same problem.  I gave up.  Most of the time I use some type of spot and glaze putty from the auto shops...essentially the same stuff that Testors/Model Master used to market.

Probably the easiest to find...and the one I use the most...is Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty.  It's gone under a number of names, but the bottom line is that it's made by Bondo, it's red and is a spot and glaze putty, no matter what name they put on it.  Generally found in O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, NAPA and Advance.  Who actually carries it depends on where you live.  Incidentally, this Bondo putty is what you used to be able to get from Testors/Model Master.

Another is Nitro-Stan Spot and Glazing Red Putty 9001.  This is another red putty that comes in a large, one pound tube and is labeled FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY Not for Resale to General Public.  You'll have to track this stuff down in shops that cater to body shops.

There are numerous other spot 'n glaze putties, including 3M and many other manufacturers.  You'll have to play around with them to see what works best for you.  Keep in mind that all of these putties are single step products that do not require mixing to use.  That doesn't mean that Milliput, Apoxie Sculpt and others don't have a place on your bench.  Each type fills a particular niche.

18 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Sorry if this has been discussed in my absences....

I've been using this stuff for about 30 years, seriously.  Not as the main filler, I use CA glue to fill the major stuff, but for the final step to eliminate the final little flaws, it's always been totally perfect for they way I build.  Perfect.

Got around to opening a tube in the new label/appearance yesterday (I've been building a LOT less recently).  Thought it was badly mixed....ended up emptying half the tube (seriously!) before realizing the whole tube was the same....

....went online and found they changed the formula a year ago?  Man, this stuff is totally unusable!! I tried, I really did!!!

Done.  Gone.  

For a guy who's been using Model Master enamels and Squadron White Putty since Reagan was president (true!), I'm feeling quite put out....

I've been having a lot of problems with it the last few years. The last few tubes have dried up quickly.  This last one I've kept in plastic wrap, when I used it this week the top seemed a bit dry.  I pressed on it and the bottom seam blew, leaving all the good putty on the desk.  It's frustrating, but the green stuff still seems to work better.

7 hours ago, IPMSUSA2 said:

Probably the easiest to find...and the one I use the most...is Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty.  It's gone under a number of names, but the bottom line is that it's made by Bondo, it's red and is a spot and glaze putty, no matter what name they put on it.  Generally found in O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, NAPA and Advance.  Who actually carries it depends on where you live.  Incidentally, this Bondo putty is what you used to be able to get from Testors/Model Master.

Another is Nitro-Stan Spot and Glazing Red Putty 9001.  This is another red putty that comes in a large, one pound tube and is labeled FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY Not for Resale to General Public.  You'll have to track this stuff down in shops that cater to body shops.

There are numerous other spot 'n glaze putties, including 3M and many other manufacturers.  You'll have to play around with them to see what works best for you.  Keep in mind that all of these putties are single step products that do not require mixing to use.  That doesn't mean that Milliput, Apoxie Sculpt and others don't have a place on your bench.  Each type fills a particular niche.

Awesome info thank you! Looks like I'll be paying a visit to NAPA or Advanced later today.

Happy modeling!

Keep in mind to test out whatever automotive putty you use on a test piece of plastic first as some of them are VERY aggressive and can melt plastic slightly. I found that out the hard way long ago. I couldn't tell you which brand or what the harsh ingredient was, but it did a number on the nose of a revell F-14 kit.

My go-to general use putty is Tamiya white that's readily available at Hobby Lobby. Works fast and doesn't seem to shrink much. But for large spots I agree an automotive glazing putty is the way to go.

12 hours ago, niart17 said:

My go-to general use putty is Tamiya white that's readily available at Hobby Lobby. Works fast and doesn't seem to shrink much. But for large spots I agree an automotive glazing putty is the way to go.

That's why this thread started. Appears Tamiya has changed the formula for their white putty. See first post.

Edit: Ignore the statement above. I was confused.

Edited by Mstor
4 minutes ago, Mstor said:

That's why this thread started. Appears Tamiya has changed the formula for their white putty. See first post.

Umm....perhaps the forum is really messed up but I see them talking about Squadron, not Tamiya changing.

10 hours ago, niart17 said:

Umm....perhaps the forum is really messed up but I see them talking about Squadron, not Tamiya changing.

Ooops, my mistake. You are correct Sir!

The Bondo red doesn't damage plastic.  I've used the stuff for years, both straight out of the auto supply stores and repackaged from Testors/Model Master.  But if you've never used automotive spot and glaze putties, you definitely want to run some tests before using it on your latest masterpiece.

Edited by IPMSUSA2
6 hours ago, IPMSUSA2 said:

The Bondo red doesn't damage plastic.  I've used the stuff for years, both straight out of the auto supply stores and repackaged from Testors/Model Master.  But if you've never used automotive spot and glaze putties, you definitely want to run some tests before using it on your latest masterpiece.

So, the Testor's Red putty is the same as Bondo? I was thinking of trying that.

The fun begins when you run into  a counter person who doesn't understand what you're talking about, shows you something totally different and then you have to find it on your own.  That happened to me at Auto Zone.  The person couldn't understand that Bondo Spot  & Glaze was NOT the red creme hardener you use for Bondo Body Putty in the quart and gallon cans!